Has anyone sourced out the cable ends for the newer cat jumper cables? Cat does not break down the assembly to identify the ends.
I'd be interested in this too. We did get a set of the Cat cables for our new 773G as someone thought mounting the batteries above the rear axle and under the dump body was a convenient location:Banghead Not bad if truck has the box up when batteries fail One thing I don't understand about the Cat cables is why they made them out of stiff as h3ll battery cable and not nice flexible welding cable ointhead If I could find ends to use to make up my own set they would be much easier to handle.
I would like to have parrot clamps on one end with cat ends on the other. Yes the stiffness is about as bad as the cost of cats cables.
Cables with a clamp on one end and cat connections on another end are available, our mechanics have them or they made them, don't think it would be difficult to make a set.
I would hate to cut up such a costly set of cables if the ends are available to build a set.
When you refer to jumper ends do you mean the ones that connect to the auxiliary start receptacle..?
That's the ones I'm thinking about. I believe all the 24 volt Cat equipment for something like 20 years, or more, have come with stock from the factory. I know we have early 90's equipment that have them.
They are not standard on all machines, even today. Let me see what I can dredge up.
Is this the end you are talking about? Its what our city busses use them and I have a set made for my truck so I don't have to pop the hood each time. http://www.grote.com/cgi-bin/goc/goc.cgi?product_number=84-9680
That is a very similar connector I have to power the battery pack on an equipment trailer with electric over hyd. ramps.
Scissor lifts use the smaller version,electric booms use the bigger version, I've also seen them on electric winches for jeeps, fairly common and should be able to get them quite easy from a local supplier if they are the correct ones.
Ah, something in my field, connectors and batteries... Most electric forklifts, scissorlifts and whatnot use Anderson Power Products SB series of multipole connectors -- color coded & mechanically keyed by voltage. Lots of commercial tow truck / fleet jumpstart harnesses use the SB175. This page links to specs and whatnot. http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html Small 12V winches use the SB50 series (some grey & marked SMH); also used on UPS's for computers and I've seen them on electric salt spreaders. Larger winches (Warn, for sure) use larger sizes that are custom colored (red, instead of yellow) but keyed oddly so you have to buy theirs. Accessories include dust covers and boots, as well as handles -- pretty ala carte so you can put together whatever makes you happy. They are often marketed as kits, for specific wire sizes -- a quick googling found http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/ , no clue on service, but prices are pretty reasonable and they have the full line of accessories. Good luck! Mike the EE
Another source and these guys have cables premade: http://www.awdirect.com/jump-start-sets-accessories/
Close but not the same. Cat machines have 2 male plugs slightly offset
The only way I've found to do it is to buy one set of the jumpers and cut them in half. Put a set of alligator clamps on the cut ends and now you have two sets for the price of one plus the clamps.
Proquip, down under ? http://www.proquip.com.au/Images/SOS Boosters/Options/976003.jpg
Snap a picture and maybe someone will recognize it, I doubt cat makes them themselves
Andrew Check the picture in the post above yours. The connector on the right is the Cat one. I need these also. Found out one night when I went to load a 740 haul truck. The battery was dead, and to get to the bolts to remove the lid from the battery box you have to raise the hood, which needs battery power. :Banghead :Banghead
Ta-da ........... 353-5080 Plug Assy. We generally make up our own cables using welding cable as it's far more flexible, as other users have pointed out. Although TBH the cable used to make the Auxiliary start assemblies (00-size starter cable) is much more flexible that that used to make the jumper leads with croc connectors on them.
I just cant bring myself to cut up a 400 dollar set of jumper cables. Those ends are out there some where cat is buying them from somebody.
353-5080 is this a cat # ? DBS doesn't like it . it comes up a ledge and is not available
I quit using alligator clamps and started using visegrips with a bolt welded on the side of them then you don't have week clamps because the spring got hot
I like that Idea! I set up most of my smaller equipment as well as truck with the Anderson plugs, Just plug the two together then no clamps to deal with and more power available.
The exact plug for the Cat Auxillary Starting Receptacle can be bought here http://www.alanco.com.au/product/BAT-WC1897_item.html or here www.ReadyWelder.com.au The receptacle can be found here: http://gentech.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=67 Then you can put the same setup on your truck and use the one set opf jumper cables. regards Bob
Looks like Australia is the only place that you can get these!
http://www.teslaind.com/products-connectors-misc-ti2000-294.php found these look to be the same.
Tesla Ind. make the new style booster cable ends for Caterpillar