Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydrualic additive for cold weather?

oarwhat ยท 2014-02-09 06:52

I plow in Buffalo,NY. it's been colder than normal and it takes quite awhile for the hydraulics to work at speed. Anything that I can add to help? Thanks !!

Replies6
  1. #1grandpa2014-02-09 07:09

    You can thin your hydraulic oil down,,, you can also wrap your hydraulic tank with insulation. If you have lines with long runs, you can slid insulation tubes over those lines.

  2. #2oarwhat2014-02-09 07:33

    What would I use to thin it? They work fine when warmed up.

  3. #3Tinkerer2014-02-11 17:08

    What weight oil is in it ? If it is anything heavier than SAE 10 or the AW equivalent you could do a complete change, at least in the hydraulic tank.

  4. #4oarwhat2014-02-11 19:24

    I don't know exactly. I'm sure it's hydraulic oil. I just thought there was some additive to lower the cold temp viscosity. I guess I'll just live with it not that bad.

  5. #5mbs2014-02-14 16:11

    Thinner oil or put a heater on the hydro tank and leave it plugged in. For a thinner oil you are going to have to drain and refill. What type of machine is this?

  6. #6blitz1382014-02-16 12:38

    Just use a multi-vis hydraulic, it shouldnt be too much more than 10w