Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar / Kawasaki loader

nevilley ยท 2021-11-05 00:18

Hi, just wondering if any one has further info on my query,, I was talking to a bloke who said he was a Caterpillar expert, I was telling him I seen a 1986 Kawasaki KLD 70Z wheel loader and it looked similar to a Cat 966C ( not inside the cab) just the body, and he says well they are mostly Caterpillar components on the Kawasaki anyway. Any one have thoughts on this...

Replies4
  1. #1John C.2021-11-05 10:16

    Can't talk about Australia but the Kawasaki loaders here used other brands of technology. Cummins engines, ZF transmissions and I don't know whose axles. I've looked at a few and they were alright for the money spent. You buy them to run to destruction. Next to no resale value.

  2. #2excavator2021-11-05 11:41

    No offense intended but generally I find that when a person tells me they are an expert at anything I tend to not believe everything they say. Kawasaki is one of those companies that have been involved with several other companies but to the best of my knowledge it's never been Caterpillar. Years ago the Kobelco LK series loaders were built by Kawasaki and if I remember right in the last few years they have gotten together with Hitachi.

  3. #3nevilley2021-11-05 23:44

    I know what you mean, I didn't think they were the same,,, even Furakawa loaders have a look if a Cat 966B/C... Early Furakawa I mean

  4. #459 North2021-11-06 15:35

    I recall seeing one of those in a ships hold a long time ago (80's?) and thinking the same thing. Think it was new, as there were some smaller excavators, (other manufacturer's) in the same hold without brand names, but painted in the brand colors