USA construction machinery manufacturer Caterpillar has introduced a system that protects customers' machines from loss or unexpected operation. Unfortunately, we have just bought 2 Caterpillar excavators with the model number 320E with serial numbers as shown in the attached picture. Both of these machines are now showing a "SECURITY SYSTEM ACTIVE" error on the screen of the machine!! Even more difficult is that we do not have a special key with an ID for them. Currently, we are still looking for ways to bypass this protection function because we find them inconvenient and unnecessary. Obviously, in order to do this, we need to understand very well how this system of "CAT" works. I sincerely thank you Nige for helping us with some very valuable information. I understand very well that this work must be very confidential, and can not fall into the wrong hands. Any help from you is greatly appreciated.
As I see it if the machines were sold by the original owner then MSS should have been deactivated at that time leaving the new owners the option of reactivating it or not at their discretion.
Yes, I agree with you. We are currently in contact with the seller. We purchased these machines through an auction in Japan. They assure us that the machine can work properly. We are afraid that special keys with ID codes have been lost in transit!! According to CAT documents, the key which we have now is a normal type (black colour key), it cannot disarm the security system of the machine!!
I do recognize that key. When I worked at the dealer some years ago we had a dozer come in with one of those keys. The service department had to get in touch with Cat in order to disarm it. I don't know what they did. The key is apparently a chip key like are on cars and the switch will not turn unless that key is used.
Oh my God! I just discovered that the set called MSS has 2 different types! MSS3i type and MSS3s type!
I would like to end the post here because I have solved the problem. Thank you to everyone who joined in to help; special thanks to Mr. Nige for the information he suggested. Indeed, to handle this problem, it is necessary to have ET (Electronic Technician) software + CAT's adapter...and of course, also need a manual for technicians. By CAT's ET software, we can uninstall this MSS (Machine Security System) function.
Instead of having to use expensive CAT adapters, I use a cheaper Nexiq kit that can also connect to CAT machines.