Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Part number help

Dig_Texas ยท 2012-06-08 15:49

I recently acquired a gray market 311 excavator. When I get a machine I like to change all fluids and filters to make sure that I know the fluids are fresh and have a baseline. I've got all the cat numbers for every filter except the air filter as the number has worn off and there was no secondary filter installed. The parts person did not seem very helpful and I want to make sure I get the right filter. Does anyone have a parts/service manual available and can look and advise the part number for the air filter?

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2012-06-08 16:29

    A Serial Number would help .................. I'm showing the outer as 4I-7575 and the inner as 6I-6582, but without a S/N I can't be 100% sure.

  2. #2Dig_Texas2012-06-08 22:28

    Serial numbers Thank you Nige. Machine SN 5PK01277, Engine SN 6LK05391, Engine model number 3064

  3. #3Nige2012-06-09 08:29

    Question - does the air cleaner housing have a rod down the centre and are the elements fixed in place to that rod using large wing nuts..? Or does the air cleaner housing have 2 over-centre clips on the outside that are used to fix an end cover in place once you have the elements installed..? There are 2 completely different styles, I need to know which one you have.

  4. #4Dig_Texas2012-06-09 09:31

    Nige, It appears it is the one with the rod going thru the entire assembly. I've included a couple of photos also. Once again thank you for your help. The local CAT parts girl apparently decided that since I wasn't ordering $$$$ in parts that my business wasn't that important. I'm very happy with the machine, its been well cared for, NO leaks, very tight and price was right. This is my first CAT, all other machines are JD and my experience at the JD dealership has been very good and the first impression of the CAT dealer was not good. I'm thinking I'll have to get a parts book even though all the ones I've found are in Japanese. I've seen service manuals for the US 311's of the same area. Do you know if I can use the troubleshooting and maintenance procedures from these manuals to service my machine?

  5. #5Nige2012-06-09 10:14

    Thanks for the photos. The Part Numbers I quoted above are correct for your machine (I tossed a coin regarding the 2 options and it came down right for once). I'll have a bit of a nosey around the Cat system to find a US-built 311 (that will be a different Serial Number prefix) that has the same technical specifications as your machine. It'll take me a while but I'll get back to you.

  6. #6Nige2012-06-09 10:17

    if you need the wing nut for the smaller filter (you said that filter was missing) then it is Part Number 6N-7675.

  7. #7Dig_Texas2012-06-09 10:42

    I very glad I found HEF. I hope that someday I can also help a member....my expertise is not heavy equipment mechanics (I install geothermal heat pumps/loops and septic systems) although through the years I've replaced backhoe engines, transmissions, rebuilt cylinders, in-frame overhauls. I really marvel at what the real heavy mechanics can accomplish.