Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Interesting excavator mod

leisureexpress · 2012-06-08 18:14

The cab raises up 15 feet for better visibility. It was developed by a contractor at Swan River Mb. He says it cost him about $40,000 for the alterations. I'm thinking it's one of a kind.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies31
  1. #1245dlc2012-06-08 18:32

    That's nothing new see lots of stuff like that on youtube of excavators loading or unloading ships, railcars etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clOGTzOzJ4

  2. #2xcmark2012-06-08 18:34

    I would think that a cab elevated would have it uses but $40K builds a lot of dirt piles...... not to bring into the conversation about possible hose failer!

  3. #3buckfever2012-06-08 18:53

    Imagin being 15 feet in the air and the main hose blows. Wow that would be one hell of a ride.

  4. #4Bluetop Man2012-06-08 20:35

    Has OSHA seen that setup yet? That's one of a kind, alright. And hopefully the last of it's kind. Just put the d*mn hoe on top of the pile. The guy who came up with that was surely more of a fabricator than an operator.

  5. #5BDFT2012-06-08 20:50

    That is nothing new at all. I have seen forestry machines rigged up like that and Liebherr offers a factory setup on its loaders. But then, Liebherr always did make some wierd machines. http://www.lh120c.liebherr.com/en-GB/131149.wfw/measure-nonMetric

  6. #6Dozerboy2012-06-08 21:45

    Theres more to it sometimes then just climbing on top of a pile... But go ahead and cut the guy down some more ignorance is bliss. I'm sure with that thumb on there the only thing he does is dirt work. I really can't believe the way some of you internet know-it-alls act on here.

  7. #7pp13bnos2012-06-08 23:20

    Kinda looks cool to me. From the angle of the photo, the fab work looks pretty nice.

  8. #8joispoi2012-06-08 23:30

    What would OSHA have to say against that setup? This is a very common feature on scrap yard machines and high reach demo excavators.

  9. #9245dlc2012-06-08 23:58

    Yeah sounds like more armchair operators again.

  10. #10rare ss2012-06-09 00:48

    I've never worked on one, but i would suspect there would be hose burst protection on the rams holding the cab up and/or a locking pin arrangement

  11. #11CRAFT2012-06-09 01:08

    Couldn't agree with you more ! ........ I'd LOVE to have that option on my ex's ...... man would that come in handy ..... As far as the coment about the hoses ? ..... well duh ya think that there is any more stress on the pilot hose up the back side than the mains on the back of the boom ????? ...***...LMFAO

  12. #12joispoi2012-06-09 03:54

    I think the concern was for the hydaulics holding the cab up in the air. But, as rare ss said, there is a check valve on the cylinder that elevates the cab. If there's a sudden hydraulic pressure loss (hose failure) the valve closes and prevents the hydraulic oil from leaving the cylinder holding it in place.

  13. #13alco2012-06-09 05:26

    I'm not sure what OSHA could posibly say about it anyhow. That's in Canada, OSHA is not.

  14. #14robin yates uk2012-06-09 05:54

    there are many scrap yards in the UK using machines just like the one shown.Hose failure. speedy descent........:beatsme

  15. #15digger242j2012-06-09 06:02

    That's what I was thinking. Lots of scrap cranes have elevating cabs. It shouldn't take any revolutionary technology to put one on an excavator.

  16. #16robin yates uk2012-06-09 06:17

    Atlas, Linkbelt and Caterpillar supply elevating cabbed excavators/scrap handlers, nothing new with this technology

  17. #17Bluetop Man2012-06-09 13:38

    Rest assured, alco, OSHA would write up Canada if it could. I must admit such elevated cabs could be handy, especially around railcars and bins.

  18. #18d4c24a2012-06-09 15:17

    some of the jcb versions in the UK ,have the option to lower the cab from the ground ,if the operator becomes ill etc there is also a version in Ireland with a telescopic cab

  19. #19tctractors2012-06-09 15:26

    This Cabin mod is common in the U.K. and though out Europe, near every Excavator Manufacture Company offer this spec from new or retro fit, I cannot understand the interest in such a common item??? the costing (the 40 Large bit) seems a bit "high coin" it usualy adds about £8to £12'000 on the build spec, it aint rocket stuff after all, just a few longer pipes, a cylinder plus a bit of iron?

  20. #20alco2012-06-09 15:56

    I don't doubt that for a second, but thankfully, they have no say here.

  21. #21stock2012-06-09 19:02

    http://www.keatingconstruction.ie/files/fleet_focus_earthmovers_july_11.pdf A Local company here has this machine, this is an article from the "Earthworks " Mag................

  22. #22gravelwasher2012-06-09 19:24

    I could see how they would be handy for some types of work. A week after I hired an operator he asked me if there was a way to mount a camera on top of his cab and a tinny monitor. I know that half my equipment now has cameras on them and the operators like them. As far as dropping 15' you would think that hydraulic cylinder would have a reducer before the exiting hose to slow the decent. It looks like a man lift with a cab on it. What happens to a man lift when you blow a hydraulic line?

  23. #23roadbuilder62012-06-09 19:56

    they have those on material handlers

  24. #24Hendrik2012-06-09 22:45

    Burst valves, lots of machines have them now, basically sense a dramatic loss of hydraulic pressure and shut, stopping the ram.

  25. #25rare ss2012-06-10 03:17

    basicly they will only operate (open) when the oil going into the ram is at a simliar pressure to the oil leaving the ram, or that won't operate usally a 60:40 ratio

  26. #26buckfever2012-06-10 19:25

    Sounds kinda like the emegency shutoff's on oxy and asetalin (sp?). If the hose is cut or breaks off at the torch it automaticly one time slams shut and stops the flow of gas. Just hope the disigner remember to and that into the build.

  27. #27SeaMac2012-06-10 19:36

    I might be new here, but I have seen these machines many times, our landfills use nothing but CAT wheeled excavators with this setup. The European's use Liebherr's and Volvo's all the time with this configuration. You need visibility sometimes and an elevating cab provides it. As far as OSHA is concerned it is as safe as any other machine out there. Although I am no mechanic I do not believe that a hydraulic line rupture will cause a complete and instant collapse of the cab. So, I am with a lot of you here, it would seem that some members aren't actually Operator's just those wanting to be. In actuality I will be looking into the purchase of just such a machine for C&D Recycling and it is NOT a modification it IS a factory option. Thank you!

  28. #28buckfever2012-06-11 19:44

    Factory install is on thing. Someone doing this after the fact makes me a little nervous.

  29. #29BDFT2012-06-11 22:17

    Factory installs aren't magic. A decent mechanic and fabricator should be able to achieve it quite handily. The picture in the original post seems pretty well done.

  30. #30icestationzebra2012-06-11 23:46

    Very common with many lifting machines - man lifts, telehandlers, hydraulic cranes, etc. Generally they either use a counterbalance valve or a pilot operated check valve. One valve is used to control one direction (extend or retract), but they are often used in pairs so both directions are protected. In either case you need pressure on both sides of the piston to allow oil out. PO check just needs X pressure to open (opening pressure can be custom ordered), but the CB valves work on a ratio like 60:40. ISZ

  31. #31buckfever2012-06-12 20:01

    Now that makes sense. Might not be a bad thing to have something like that on a boom lift cylinder. There have been a few times were I was setting a beam or manhole and thought this would get ugly if a line blows.