Does Caterpillar make an index of all of the Service Magazine/Reporter articles and can a person buy the old Service Magazine/Reporter issues on a cd-rom or in another format? Thanks in advance for your replies. BTHJR
Welcome to the HEF. Good to have you. Funny story. When I took over as training manager at WSEC, I found that the previous manager had saved and cataloged every Service Magazine ever printed, in original hard copy, in file cabinets. It was around the same time the printed media stopped being distributed. I’m sure it all got tossed. I wish I had that library, now. It was entertaining looking at the vintage articles.
Probably worth a bit of money to the right person also
The only way I know is to get sis . Cat Service Information System.
Check with the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owner Club, ACMOC . There is a Cat published book called Selected service reporter bulletins from late 1940’s to 1950’s check with eBay. As far as I know there is no Cd. Sold my collection with the tractors in 2000.
Cat SIS does not cover anything prior to 1977 according to a non-subscriber dealer SIS portal.
It’s the Information Age, except information is drying up and hard to source. Everyone disposed of their paper publications to go minimalistic, but now publishers can tweak and edit digital content as they see fit. Now, people are building paper libraries again. Been interesting to witness.
I love the fact that if you have the software just about every manual is right at your fingertips but I still prefer binders. Especially the Cat's with the big fold out schematics.
Yep. And the older stuff that is in SIS is extremely poor quality a lot of the time, being scanned in from microfiche or paper. Makes it very difficult when an older machine is brought in to service.