Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar wheels problem speed

Flok · 2023-05-22 09:14

Hello guys. I have one Caterpillar 224b or 214b wheel excavator. my problem is in slow fast or gearbox. with a repaired pump with new fuel injectors with correct pressures in the hydraulics with the engine adjusted my problem is that when the excavator finds even a small hill of 20m no matter the difficulty it cannot climb it while the engine gives all the power it is like no it can transfer the power of the machine to the wheels to move forward.and the solenoid valve line for the slow fast is all new and while the machine is going slow it can't even go up the easiest hill it's like it's in the highest gear and it skids. everyone tells me that it's due to the oil escaping due to the wear on the gear and others tell me that maybe the discs where the solenoid valve is to blame. What is a problems please help.

Replies20
  1. #1CM19952023-05-22 09:31

    Welcome to the Forums Flok! Glad to have you. The mechanics on the Forum will need a serial number in order to determine the exact model you have. Good Luck!

  2. #2Flok2023-05-22 10:49

    Μachine serial number 7ws00130

  3. #3Nige2023-05-22 11:18

    Can you check that Serial Number again please. Is it 7WF00130 by some chance.?

  4. #4Flok2023-05-22 12:26

    Οs.Yes sorry 7WF00130

  5. #5Nige2023-05-22 12:36

    Thank you for confirming that. So you have a 224B machine. How competent are you as a mechanic and do you have access to pressure gauges, etc, for testing.? Because attempting to find the cause of this problem is likely to be quite complex and involve a lot of testing work. It also assumes that you have a good understanding of how hydraulic system work.

  6. #6Flok2023-05-22 12:57

    unfortunately I don't have, I'm not an engineer, I just think it makes sense to me. so I have now reached the end as well as those who have yet come to see the problem. everyone tells me it will be this or maybe the other and we end up paying for a new excavator without solving the problem.

  7. #7Flok2023-05-22 13:00

    I believe there is a solution, everything is fixed, nothing is broken, but the engineers do not want, they want to install a new part.

  8. #8Nige2023-05-22 13:16

    I understand your frustration. However before the engineers decide to install a new part the system requires a proper diagnosis to identify which part is actually the problem. Not "I think this is the problem. Let's replace it and see." Here is the situation as I see it. First I am not physically there looking at the machine, only you and anyone you ask to diagnose the problem are in front of the machine. I have no detailed knowledge regarding the hydraulic system for your particular model BUT I can access the information from the technical manuals that might assist other people in diagnosing your problem. Attached are some documents regarding how the systems operate and how to test them. I believe this is probably far more information than you had previously, especially the testing document. in addition to these three documents I tried to download a schematic of the hydraulic system but the electronic version is unreadable. To get a readable version of this document you may have to ask your local Cat dealer to order you a paper copy.

  9. #9Flok2023-05-22 14:19

    that is, the problem is the same with all brands of machines because the system is a brand ZF.

  10. #10DEMLONE702023-05-22 14:23

    What part they want to install ?

  11. #11Flok2023-05-22 14:58

    my problem is that my excavator is of the type I listed above, that it cannot work uphill regardless of distance and difficulty.while it is a powerful digger, the difficulties come with the slow step along the way, it could be that I am losing pressure somewhere or if there are discs that are worn out and need to be replaced.I think his system is ZF, if you know something I will be happy to help.

  12. #12DEMLONE702023-05-22 15:01

    What about the travel motor

  13. #13Flok2023-05-22 15:13
  14. #14Flok2023-05-22 15:14

    the one with the red circle is obviously the problem. logically

  15. #15Nige2023-05-22 17:34

    I'm sorry I have to disagree. Without carrying out the correct diagnostic tests in the correct sequence any type of speculation regarding what the problem is would be nothing more than a (possibly very expensive) wild guess. That's exactly what diagnostics is - an orderly process of elimination, one by one, of "what the problem isn't" to arrive at a final conclusion of "what the problem is". A question: You are so sure that the transmission is the problem. Have you considered that the seals in the roatary swivel that carries hydraulic oil from the revolving upper frame to the fixed lower frame (where the transmission is located) could have failed and so are bypassing oil.??

  16. #16Flok2023-05-22 17:41

    visible escapes does not exist. But from what they've measured, two different garages have told me that transmission pressure, either slow step or fast step, is equally good and effective at all operating temperatures.

  17. #17Nige2023-05-22 17:54

    Please download and open the file I posted above entitled "Test & Adjust". Go to the top of Page 17. Carry out the test for "Drive Shaft Speed". Compare the results to the specification below.

  18. #18Vetech632023-05-22 17:59

    What drives the drive shaft? A zf transmission?

  19. #19Tones2023-05-22 19:00

    I'd be checking the rotary coupling and not only pressure but flow as well. With worn seals the oil can bypass and maintain pressure but the flow to the driven component will be less. Hence the lack of travel speed. Testing stops the guessing. Fix what's broke and leave alone what isn't.

  20. #20Nige2023-05-22 19:21

    Thank you. If you don’t mind I’m going to trot that one out at some time in the future.