Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpiller 120g transmission issue

lkitten ยท 2015-05-31 08:17

I need help figuring out whyou when I put my grader in gear and release the clutch it powers out on me. I have checked the brakes and all are released. Chain drives appear good. It feels like it is in the transmission. Does this model have a transbrake? Grader runs great. I was told the last time it was moved they made it about 50 ft and it shut down an wouldn't move. I was able to get it to move backwards about ten ft and it labored doing that then it was like you had slammed on the brakes

Replies4
  1. #1d9gdon2015-05-31 09:29

    There's a park brake on the unit that works on the transmission/differential from memory. If you get under it and look on the RH side of the transmission, you'll see a brake can that works a linkage.

  2. #2Nige2015-05-31 10:26

    Sounds like the parking brake not releasing to me. Amazing, most graders of that era the park brake was usually burned out.

  3. #3d9gdon2015-05-31 10:28

    Forgot to say that the parking brake is activated by the safety lever at the shifter.

  4. #4Fatgraderman2015-05-31 10:48

    The 140's here would have them freeze on and take out transmissions.:shf