Hello everyone started excavating 1989 for small company only2 employes . we now have 30 some. I run all excavating equipment but the motorgrader is the o.ne I still get excited about running.Im the only one in the company that can run it.I started with a570a then a672b.The owner just bought me a 672G.IT had 14 in tires we changed to 17.5 r25 Added 2ft extention to12ft blade an changed blade control levers to old jd stile.I Have read threw most of the threads 2or 3 times .my question today is how is the best way to keep the cutting edges strait.
I know a guy who runs his blade along concrete or tarseal road to straighten it lol otherwise get mechanic to come out and cut it.
That chatter and squeal when you do that is unbearable! Some swap them from side to side regularly to keep wear even, it is a lot of work. If you're using flat blades, you can overlay blades with carbide over your regular blades but it does make it hard to cut, and have your snipe handy to try and get the blade nuts back off. Does one of the mechanics have a plasma-cutter? That'll make fast work of trimming them up.
When maintenance grading i end for end the blades once or twice a day depending on the wear .It only takes 15-20 mins. and i dont use a rattle gun, use a3/4 ratchet.Im onto keeping the blades as strait as i can,seen a few mouldboards with the bolts holes worn thru the holes ,just plain lazy steerer (would not rate them as an operator.) also when cutting i try to alternate left side starting off on first section and right side next section. And i keep my runs to about 1 to 1 1/2 ks long so im not cutting on the same part of the blade for too long ,of course this depends how hard and abrasive the road is. giddy up shaggs
Haha yeah i do agree but it does the job if you have no other way :tong
A few years ago our mechanic cut torch .Good with bade rolled back .Roll it forward some and there would be 3/4 in gaps .Checked with string.I would make pass in parking lot and the stone would funnel threw gaps looked terriible.I went and got new edges to finish job. Ill try switching edges side to side alturnating before they get to that point,--
I would think a plasma cutter would work better than torch. most of ware ends up in the middle I mostly grade parking lots and roads in civil commrcial jobs not alot of maintinence grading.I put a 2ft extention on the rt side with new edges 6ft and 8ft.------------------Do some of you guys run 12ft blades I was surprised our g didnt come with a 14 ft blade
I do road grading, so I end up with a crown first mile of road, but our roads need crown anyways. A straight edge can be used with either a torch or plasma cutter. We run 14' moldboards and 7' blades. Some run 8' blades on 16' moldboards to save a pass, but that wouldn't work on my roads. Because of the width, there'd be no difference, and with the crown, you just have that much more hanging off the ends with the center wore out.
Our 672b had a13ft blade when working with blade on 45 degree angle it in certain situations it was hard to funnel material beyond tires,I dont see to many graders maintaining rds around here.Usually dumptrucks with belly blade , pot holes show up again after first veihicle makes a pass.If you ask me ITs alot of wasted fuel and time wasted
Yair . . . new deere . Could you elaborate a little. Do you mean maintaining gravel roads or removing snow? Cheers.
both maintaining gravel and plowing snow like you see on the interstates
Yair . . . new deere Sorry mate for sounding dumb but I'm half a world away and I've never seen a dump truck with a belly blade, can they actually be used for grading and spreading gravel? Cheers.
I have find a video from a Mähler grader blade for trucks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMFroVNzO8
Yair . . . . Graderfan1981 . Thanks for your link, I did not know such blades existed. Cheers
You're welcome I haven't seen those in action in my country, i have find this type of blades month ago on youtube.
Thanks gaderfan a picture is worth a 1000 words