I have a 2001 cat 320cu grey market excavator that need a boom to stick bushing and pin replacement. the problem I have is that I'm not able to locate the part number plate for the boom to find the proper pin size. The cat dealership has a pin for the machine as called out by the ser#, but the pin on the machine is a 1/2" longer than what the dealership has. Can i find a Caterpillar pin by the existing pin dimensions?
Serial number prefix, at least.
Tried that.
No serial number no help then
I has a contact at my dealer who is versed in ways to search "similar" parts through Caterpillar. But, you provide no serial number, no wrong part number, no dimensions of said pin, nada... "I has a pin that's 1/2" too short. Do yunz know what it is?"
In a word, no. But there are tricks so it's not a lost cause. As others have said, try posting your Serial Number. Without that, all the tricks in the book of looking up part numbers are worth precisely jack schitt. The Part Number of the pin that is 1/2" too short would also be a help.
I have the serial # for the machine (APA00508 ser#) its a Japanese version Caterpillar machine. I don't have the part# for the boom. the pin their calling for part# is 250-2402 but it is a 1/2" shorter that the pin that is in the machine.
OK, I found the 250-2402 Pin in the Parts Manual for a CLM or CLZ-prefix 320C U which is what (according to the system) is classed as the non-Japanese equivalent of your APA-prefix Japanese-built machine. Couple of questions 1. What Part Number of bush did you purchase and did they fit OK in the stick.? 2. Can you find a plate anywhere on the boom with a Part Number on it.? (It will be a plate about 3" x 2", probably located somewhere near the foot of the boom. It might even be on the boss at the bottom of the boom) 3. What is the measurement of the boom length centre-to-centre between the foot pin and boom/stick pin.? I've found a couple of other pin Part Numbers for that joint - 4I-4809 & 4I-4813. If HMC's contact can look up similar parts then those two numbers might be worth following up. He should be able to check things such as pin diameter and overall length and compare them.
Just because the machine does not exist on the online system does not mean that there isn't information regarding it available from other locations. If you want a Parts Manual specifically for your machine it is available. Cat Publication reference XEBP7856. It can be downloaded from Cat Publications for $115. See below.
4I4813 is old part number changes in 2502402
Good spot. I didn't think to check that. However 4I-4809 does not service to 250-2402. It is listed as service for 137-3046. So on the face of it a different pin in some way. In fact I have found other info (Service Mags) which clearly identifies they are two different pins.
Nige SEPD0739
Another question. What is the measurement "B" of the 250-2402 Pin.?
Thanks for that. I'm just looking at SEPD1626. I'll look at SEPD 0739 in a minute and will let you know.
4I-4809 is a dead end. Although it is listed in some articles along with 4I-4813 and 250-2402 it is not the same pin. However I have come up with another number - 264-1702. By spec it is supposed to be 503mm long and 89.85mm diameter, the same as the diameter of the 250-2402 Pin. Unfortunately I cannot find the length spec of the 250-2402 Pin anywhere, hence the question above.
The dealer is calling for bush 244-4277
answer 1. The bush that was recommended from dealer is 244-4277, I haven removed the stick yet so that will be later. 2. yes, for the embossed 320CU 11 440. 3. I can get that later when i get home from work. the boom looks to be a heavier built version possibly boom part # 174-8340 or 198-0363
The measurement for "B" is 19 3/4"
That's 501.65mm. As close as you're going to get to the 503mm specification of 264-1702 by using a measuring tape. So that's not the answer. I think we're going to have to pin our hopes on HMC's contact finding something suitable. On the face of it the pin should measure around 516mm in length if your "1/2" too short" comment is correct.
sounds good! I forgot to mention that i have the parts book in PDF for this machine.
Now he tells us........... What is the publication reference in top RH corner of the first page of the pdf.? Just to make sure it's the right one and doesn't take us off down another rabbit hole. It'll look something like this..........
XEBP7856-02 April 2004
Have you measured the length of pin that is in that particular joint right now.?
19 3/4 in as depicted in your figure (B).
501.65mm
I'm confused. You just say 19 3/4 for pin that is in there now. Right above this post. And the 250-2402 is the same length.
Me too.
I was able to get the measurement for the Boom the measurement is 244 in from center pin to center pin. Sorry for the delay work calls!
That's 6.2 metres, longer than anything listed in any parts manual I can find for a 320C of any persuasion. The longest booms seems to be around 5.6-5.7m (223-225") in length. Now you have the advantage on us that you have access to a Parts Manual (XEBP7856) that we don't. Can you take a look in it and list ALL the different Boom Groups (by Part Number) that you can find in it. They will be in the "Implements" section.
Also would you please try to clear up the following confusion.......... You stated that the existing pin is 19.75" long as per measurement "B" on that diagram from before. The 250-2402 Pin measures 503mm (19.80") as per measurement "B". So on that basis it appears as though 250-2402 is a direct replacement, yet you say it is 1/2" too short. How do you figure that..?
The guy from the dealer sent me this photo of 250-2402 pin and it look like 19 in to the beginning of the taper. It could possibly be the way the tape measure was being held that it shows incorrectly.
Here are the numbers for three different booms 174-8340 this one looks to be the closest in the picture to the what I have. 184-5563 198-0363 this one could possibly be it as well.
On another subject regarding the Boom cylinders at the bottom or the frame, the pin that hold the boom cylinders have an extraction threaded hole to remove the pins, would you now what thread and size the holes are?
Part # for the pin for the parts book 4I-4812
OK, I think I can see what's going on. Refer back to the measurement diagram below. Measurement "B" is taken from the inside surface of the flag (the plate on the end) right to the end of the pin, NOT just to the start of the taper. I know the diagram is not the best but if you look at it closely measurement "C" is taken from the end of the pin coming back towards the flag, so the taper is not a measurement that is additional to "B" to give the total pin length, it's included in "B". "C" is listed as 15mm or about 9/16". I would suggest that if as close as you can measure the pin installed on the machine is 19-3/4" that most likely makes the 250-2402 Pin (19.8") the correct one.
4I-4812....3.15"dia x 8.27" length
Here is the procedure to R&I the boom cylinders. The pin Part Number for this machine is the same 4I-4812 you mentioned above, so the same tooling should work just fine. Based on the callout of M30 x 3.5 pitch threaded bar I guess that makes the thread in the end of the pin metric.
Thank you!
Thank you!
I've never had to use the puller holes when removing the boom cylinders on any of my Caterpillars.
And there comes the kiss of death!!
Just in case they won't cooperate.
Always good to have a Plan B.