Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cats moving 500,000 lb oak

g_man ยท 2012-10-05 15:47

I don't know if this was on before. I saw it today and was impressed to say the least. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ty - YouTube&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13494662752961

Replies27
  1. #1KW3182012-10-05 17:14

    Makes me proud to be an American!

  2. #2DPete2012-10-05 19:39

    Now the tree huggers can hug, wonder what the bill was? Cool vid and pretty good they can move that big of a tree without a wreck. Had to be a little scary on the dozers under the umbrella

  3. #3caterpillarRy2012-10-05 19:47

    uh i dont think they understand you can pull more with a dozer if its goin forwards and that excavators are not meant to push or to pull things

  4. #4OzDozer2012-10-05 20:01

    Yeah, I'm a little puzzled as to why they used such a mish-mash of machines, in that odd manner, to move the tree along. Maybe it was all they had available at the time? Interesting to see how they lifted the tree straight up with cranes. Not a lot of people know, that a tree can be popped out the ground, easy as, with a direct vertical lift. You can try pushing a tree down, and it'll fight you all the way. The reason being, that tree roots are designed to hold a tree upright, and resist wind forces - but there's nothing in the root system to stop a tree from being lifted straight up, vertically.

  5. #5390eric2012-10-06 09:19

    just wondering why every machine was running in reverse. Probably could have just got away with two dozers if they went forwad with them.

  6. #6ben46a2012-10-06 09:46

    The only thing I can figure.... Is that they ran the cables over the blade to try and get some lift on the front of the tree to help it slide.

  7. #7X Quad Operator2012-10-06 09:55

    g_man, working down in California moving the big old Oak trees is pretty common, one day at lunch where we parked our cars, on an Ebensteiner job, we had a finish slope that we cut must of been a 20 foot 1 1/2 to 1, we were sitting there eating and I looked over, there was the top of this tree moving by, I'd be willing to bet the top of the tree was a good 10, 15 feet taller than the top of the 20 foot slope. At first I thought it was one of those fantastic California earth quakes, but it turned out 4 or 5 D10 were pulling it. What a neat allusion that was, Thanks for sharing that video. Mike Nebergall

  8. #8Seabass2012-10-07 15:16

    I still think a chainsaw would have been the fasted way to remove it..

  9. #9Colorado Digger2012-10-07 15:40

    Why does everyone have to bag on moving a big tree? I think it is awesome, who cares what iron the used and how they did it. They got it done, right?

  10. #10Dualie2012-10-08 00:20

    dynamite would have been quicker yet.

  11. #11Buckethead2012-10-08 18:08

    Yep. The job got done, apparently it didn't take forever and no one got hurt, nothing was damaged.

  12. #12Buckethead2012-10-08 18:19

    I am thinking maybe that the tree-moving contractor rented the machines w/operator from the contractor already working there? Instead of mobilizing a whole spread of their own.

  13. #13Vantage_TeS2012-10-12 01:12

    I am actually fairly impressed they managed to get every single machine's U/C completely backwards, and have as much force possible in the opposite direction ever intended on a blade. At least if the dozers were going forward they would only have the force of the excavator pulling on the blade! I'm surprised they didn't rip one of the blades off. Also the way the high track system is designed it pivots to deliver maximum traction to the ground. In forward. It does the opposite in reverse...

  14. #14JDOFMEMI2012-10-12 14:31

    My thoughts exactly V-TeS. I could not believe that every machine was used in a way that lessened its ability. It is nice to see a tree, or anything else that size moved successfully, but it seems it could have been moved with less drama. Maybe they did it that way to show just how hard it was and justify the high price??? One dozer behind it, pushing, and one in front pulling and it would have probably gotten moved just as easily.

  15. #15390eric2012-10-12 20:24

    So basically those two hoes were pulling the tree and two D7E.

  16. #16Buckethead2012-10-12 21:14

    I'll buy that. That's probably why they were going in reverse. I don't know why they didn't have the track hoes going forward, though. Guess they had their reasons.

  17. #17ben46a2012-10-12 21:15

    But really, its still some friggin hard on gear. I was waiting for a blade cylinder to fail.

  18. #18Buckethead2012-10-12 21:32

    I know. But when the winning bid was read, my name was not on it. Their name was, so they did it the way they wanted to do it. Apropos of a big tree move here's a link to a nursery that grows big trees. http://www.halkanursery.com/ They use loaders to pick up the rootball of the trees in the buckets. I've never been inside the place, but when I drive by there sometimes I see an early Cat 992 with no cab parked there.

  19. #19heavylift2012-10-13 09:10

    One word... Goldhofer

  20. #20140Monster2012-10-13 23:01

    everyones an expert, lol. who cares, its not your gear....

  21. #21oldirt2012-10-14 20:30

    any big tree I ever chewed around but tried to leave died rather quickly, and I didn't break any taps either.

  22. #22Fickster2012-10-30 12:17

    I can tell you all why they moved the trees with 2 dozer pulling backwards and 2 hoe pulling it forwards

  23. #23g_man2012-10-31 07:57

    I'll bite, how come ??

  24. #24JDOFMEMI2012-10-31 20:27

    So are you going to keep us in suspense, or tell us?

  25. #25da'yoop2012-11-01 11:02

    The suspense is killing me.........

  26. #26Fickster2012-11-02 11:48

    Ok here it is 1 huge sled estimated to weigh half a million pounds. The cable/chain from sled to blade is because to take the front end weight off ground like a wedge and put more weight on dozer for traction. Think bout it, if you pull a plugboard with weight on it n kept the chain low where the ply board likely to do is get in dirt. As they say they been givin permission to cros private properties but keep Land damage to a minimum. As for the hoes they use the arm to pull them selves to prevent making ruts from tracks spinning and so on. It take serious team work and commucateion to operate everything smooth and evenly and if you look really closely the field was wet and little middy as well. Any questions

  27. #27SeaMac2012-11-03 19:34

    Ex's in reverse? Could have been easier on the Op's to pull back on the travel sticks or mash back on the pedals rather than push forward for such a distance. Can't say for certain but I would have found that easier on the old hip-down appendages. As for the dozers, as some other's have mentioned with the cables over the blade it afforded some lift which I'm sure was required since they were "lubricating" the ground with water or -wait for it- some super slick, top secret earth slime. I liked the video and thought the guitar work was darn decent as well, me pick-on the fiddle too. Thanks for sharing...