The simplest (most effective) way of blowing up an automatic transmission is by rocking it drive to reverse and vice versa ) without waiting for the wheels to stop turning. Snow mud ice etc. It Very quickly over heats clutch packs even if it's well below zero. It's okay to rock it in drive (or reverse) by getting on and off the throttle. You could do that all day without damaging the transmission. Tell your girls! Most women Never have there tranny fluid changed! And don't count on the dealer Ever routinely changing it! (I have a little story about that) There's alot more money in blown transmissions.
Good reminder. I've always waited for the wheels to stop turning before shifting but I know plenty of people that don't. I don't know why, but it seems many ladies I know treat their vehicles pretty horribly when it comes to preventative maintenance. It is...unfortunate. Although I'm sure many dudes do the same...but all the guys I know are mechanically inclined and seem to pay a some of attention to PM. Yep. I just had two grand sucked out of my pocket last week, seems my Chevy 1500 likes to eat transmissions like I eat donuts. No towing, no heavy hauling, ordinary gentle driving...that damn 4L60E is as POS that should have never been put in a truck.
tell the guy rebuilding it to put the better Kevlar clutch packs in it & the shift kit to make it go ahead & shift instead of slipping & you wont have any trouble with it again.. I was in the same boat as you on my 3rd trans when I had the luck of cussing the last rebuild was going back to a 400 & change gears when he said ill fix it up for you!! best that truck has ever shifted!!
You should get a manual trans. I have over 300,000 on my 91 with a nv3500 and still has the original clutch. I used to to my race car with it. No automatics for me. Lol
Hard to find anything with a manual transmission anymore
True. That's dhy I won't buy a new truck. Plus the price tag on them is scary
I brought mine used 7 years ago. Didn't see many manuals used. I agree the new prices tags are pretty high. Especially if you want to go with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel.
I want a new truck to haul the horse trailer so I'm thinking a 4300 int as the price for one of them used is about the same as a one ton. Still trying to talk my uncle out of his b model Mack as I think that would be a classy toter.