Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cause of drive motor failure?

HillsideVT · 2013-01-14 20:35

this is a deere 250 drive motor which i believe was rebuilt 800 hours ago. it failed once; some bolts backed out 2 broken off flush and some still very tight. i replaced seals and broken bolts reassembled it and it didn't last long at all, as seen in the pic. stuck a different used motor on and its working ok so far. just think it's wierd that it would come apart this way.

Replies6
  1. #1NCPIPELINE2013-01-15 11:36

    Hmmm, I had a drive motor fail similar to this once, but it never repeated, same thing though 2 broke off bolts, and a few backing out, some tight as hell. Never did figure out the cause. Curious with ya. :drinkup

  2. #2BobCatMan2013-01-15 12:52

    Wonder if that's a vibration issue?

  3. #3CRAFT2013-01-15 13:31

    ….the Jd 8875 I had also had a drive motor problem …… it was a 2spd ….. I was traveling between plow sites in hi-gear when the motor seized up (but only for a min) It caused the machine to do a Donut in the middle of the road …. I backed up a few feet and everything seemed to be OK ….. a Hyd oil leak showed up shortly after that (5 gal in 8hrs)….. by this time I was so pissed at the machine for all of the other issues accumulated so I traded it off on the Bobcat that I still have today …. The dealer took it in "as is where is" ….. they too figured it was only a leak …… long and short of it was the Drive Motor had broken bolts AND a split case !!!

  4. #4HillsideVT2013-01-24 18:43

    still curious.... vibration seems plausible. could worn rollers or star within the motor cause it to vibrate itself?

  5. #5NCPIPELINE2013-01-25 05:51

    With the 2 drive motors I have had fail this way, all the rollers and internals seemed in good repair. I to was/am under the assumption that it was do to vibration of poor quality bolts maybe? I seem to find this more relevant more and more as parts are from over seas 85% of the time and they just are not made like they use to. On an unrelated topic I suppose whenever I need a hose for a machine they never stock them, so I go and have them made no problem, but they just don't seem to last... Idk why they just don't...

  6. #6fast_st2013-01-25 06:55

    Well, could be vibration, bolts that are damaged or below spec, overorqued. Any type of thread locker/ sealant used on the bolts? I'd wonder if a big hyd shop would have something to put that motor in and run test it, maybe something is misaligned?