Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAV Cartridge -> Spin On Conversion

Birken Vogt ยท 2017-09-07 19:11

I have not been able to find this or anything like it in the catalogs, yet. Can you gents point me in the right direction?

Replies9
  1. #1repowerguy2017-09-07 20:55

    I bought them from Columbus Diesel Supply, you can call them or I can give them a call if you'd like me to. They're pretty decent guys in the parts department, I've dealt with them quite a bit in the past. I'm wondering if Pumpguy can hook you up at a umm, discounted rate . On second thought maybe it was a Racor, that was a while back and my remember function has been known to be fogged over.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2017-09-08 06:25

    Racor makes some real nice bolt-on units w/hand primers.. but they're proud of them.. Racor WAS the go-to source for filter systems.. but Donaldson slowly took over because of cost, availability & cross over.. Your best bet as far as cost goes is> go to a salvage yard & pluck one off a dead beauty..

  3. #3f311fr12017-09-12 09:41

    Baldwin Filter has a base to convert from cartridge filter on the electric pump to a spin on. I have them on both of my ASV's with Perkins engines.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2017-09-12 10:15

    Do you have a part number or picture?

  5. #5f311fr12017-09-12 13:11

    See attached files

  6. #6Birken Vogt2018-07-20 00:32

    I finally found what I was looking for. I was working on one today and it jogged my memory that I was still looking for this. The way this thing is configured the injection pump is completely exposed to the nasty sediment bowl. Not any more after I install one of these. These will be going on every unit that has one, as I service them. http://www.wixfilters.com/assets/techBulletins/Wix/WIX_24038.pdf

  7. #7thepumpguysc2018-07-20 05:56

    I like the "looks" of the system but.. the "drain" feature is only on the 14 micron filter.. not good..

  8. #8Birken Vogt2018-07-20 11:15

    Please say more on the subject for our benefit here. I see precious little about fuel filtration anywhere else. I will say what I know...most of these have a dual filter head. So presumably you would put the 14 micron water separator on the primary and one of the 10 micron on the secondary? Although those are usually feeding a CAV rotary pump. On the small engines I work on, these are feeding an Asian PFR pump clone and they have only one filter element. They have an aluminum bowl with no drain installed. I was studying it yesterday and discovered that the clean side of the filter outbound to the pump is the sediment bowl. It is nasty, no way to clean that thing "fuel pump clean". On very old engines like Listers from the 1960s, flow is in the opposite direction so the bowl is exposed to the fuel tank and not the injection pumps. I wonder why they changed? Anyway, now that I have discovered this part it will no longer matter. I hate changing these filters anyway, too many leak points, and the "backwards" flow direction is correct for a spin-on. I guess if I come to a really old one, I will use the original style filter still. I guess the only reason they still use this is that it is a Perkins labeled engine, so they have to use an English fuel filter and pump. Everything else is Asian.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2018-07-20 11:47

    Given that the micron rating for the CAV 7111-296 filter is 5.. & they're running 2 filters.. your replacement is 10 & running 1.. & the only way to get a water "drain" is to go to a larger size micron filter.. I'd say that wasn't your best choice in filtration systems.. Micron size is the "size" of the partical that can be stopped by the paper filter.. 10 being the industry standard, 5 being much better & 2 being almost a fuel polishing.. You would not believe the CAV pumps I open up on a daily basis that have dirt inside the internal pump filter.. almost & sometimes the norm.. its clogged completely.. to the point it starves the inj. pump.. THAT MEANS the dirt made it past 2, 5 micron filters & a screen in the fuel tank outlet.. You wanna talk about poor filter maintenance.?? What do you thinks gonna happen when theres just 1 with a micron rating of TRIPLE.?? {w/ a water drain} Premature inj. pump failure would be my first guess??