Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caycuse Fir Expo 86 Flag Pole

GunnieSacked · 2024-11-05 19:31

First of all I do not have any photos of the Caycuse Fir Flag Pole, my apology if I have given you false hope in being able to have a picture gallery to view. I found Truck Shop's thread 'Don’t Break This One" and it reminded me of the Caycuse Fir that was sent to Expo 86 as a flag pole. I believe the Caycuse Fir Flag Pole came from Hatton area, along the ML, over Hatton bridge somewhere around H5 on the low side of the ML by Caycuse River. I don’t believe the first tries were successful in preventing breakage. Hank Nowicki was Camp Superintendent [Lorne Hall and Bob Norcross were formen]. Hank, and I am sure that Bob put his two cents in, took control over the loading and hauling from Caycuse to Youbou. Hank then set up the carriage on the rail cars to transport the Caycuse fir to Expo 86 via CP ferries in Nanaimo. I remember seeing pictures of the loading, haul to Youbou and the rail car carriage and the Caycuse fir resting on top of it. Anyone have them or know someone who may or can add more details? I don’t recall the diameter or height but I would Imagine it was some what large [5-6 ft dia. x155- 170 ft}. Yes, a picture is worth a “thousand words”.

Replies1
  1. #1GunnieSacked2024-11-06 21:29

    Well seems that I have gotten some dates and places and size of the flag pole! Doing some background searching I came across a post from Bob Norcross, who has posted the flag pole. So the flag pole was sent to Calgary for the 1981 Calgary Stampede. Sorry for the misinformation that was posted. Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Transporting a Flag Pole , for Calgary Stampede 1981 . (Roy Shultz Photo's) Thank you Bob for recording a part of the past of Caycuse.