Lidstone and Shaughnnessy Logging the North Shore of Lake Cowichan using a V log chute. I have been trying to find out more about Lidstone and Shaugnnesy’s logging of the North Shore of Lake Cowichan. Seems they logged the top of Block 119 below Margarite ML or just above the road outside of Block 119 boundary. Story as far as I found , they lacked a way to get their logs from the hill to the lake, I gather they had no trucks or rail access. Alternatively they implemented a “V” style Chute to transport the logs using the steep side hill and a lot of grease since there was no water for a Flume! The V chute was used as it required less wood and maintenance than a Box chute. I gather that was quicker and did not damage the wood, compared to skidding the logs by cat to the lake. Anyone else have any information on this? I posted a map of the general area and a google screen shot of the area. Notice the 2 barren rock slides, possibly a site of the chute!
Seems I missed posting the Google screen shot.