Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CB radios

greywynd ยท 2008-03-30 22:36

Hey guys. Thinking about getting a CB for my one ton, I know a lot of the local guys still use them, often the loaders at the pits also have them as well. What's a good make/model, and also what type of antennas do you like?

Replies13
  1. #1Countryboy2008-03-30 23:30

    Cobra has always been good to me and are available at most places, for reasonable prices. Midland is also pretty good. You get what you pay for. I like Wilson antennas.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2008-03-30 23:44

    Uniden is a good brand as well.

  3. #3Countryboy2008-03-30 23:55

    That was the other one I was trying to think of. I have used them and they are good. All the loaders at the quarry have Uniden CBs in them.

  4. #4tuney4432008-03-31 08:21

    Any make that allows 1 trucker up ahead to tell another trucker that the Dep't of Trouble is out in force.Have to soon install my old dinosaur of a CB.

  5. #5greywynd2008-03-31 11:06

    Well...that's part of the reason I want one.....did I just say that out loud? I know one friend of mine always swore by the Cobra 29's. Speaking of which, I just found this online about an hour from me. Model 29 refurb Might have to give them a call to see if they have any left.

  6. #6Orchard Ex2008-03-31 14:03

    Any of the 3 makes listed are good and I have had good service from all 3 brands. I now have Cobras in my trucks: a 29 classic and one of the self contained units in the P/U. Both have been great. Just remember that a cheap radio with an expensive antenna will sound better than a expensive radio with a cheap antenna.

  7. #7DigDug2008-03-31 17:18

    I have a cobra 29 & 25. Both good radios.

  8. #8bear2008-03-31 17:27

    Well... Cobra is a good radio and have been the workhorse for years. Galaxy radios are good but you will have to get one modified at a cb shop to handle cb freq's. If you decide to get a linear amp. (any model of radio) be sure to go to a cb shop to get your radio tweaked so the radio doesn't blow the amp. I usually take mine to the cb shop and get it tweaked as soon as i get one it helps and is relatively inexpensive. for your 1ton a good k-40 on a magnet mount would probably work as long as you arent goin under stuff all the time. i usually use a mirror mount antennas. Mostly because i enjoy the look and it is easier for me to get everything working right from the cab. I won't go into wavelengths and modualtion and all the other tech tips but they are available on the net if you want. My personal setup right now will make the load coils of my antennas glow orange at night. too much power there. got to turn everything down a little.:drinkup

  9. #9xcavate2008-03-31 17:57

    What are the CB channels you guys use? What ones do the police monitior(dont want to use those ones)? I am going to be adding a CB to my truck once I get it running. Its an invaluable tool in avoid the department of trouble. Even If you are totally 100% legit its still is a hassle. Ill probably go with the uniden cause my other scanner is a uniden and I have had real good luck with it.

  10. #10ASPHALT042008-03-31 18:12

    I just have cheap Cobra's and a descent antenna in my 3 trucks and even in skid loader. (Helps to keep things moving.) They sound descent and have pretty good range, but I'm really not out to be in the "Who has the Biggest CB" contest! :notworthy Most guys around here run on the lower channels but that varies depend on just where you are and since interstate runs close to here helps to avoid OTR chatter on 19.

  11. #11jimmyjack2008-03-31 18:38

    i've always used a corba with apower mic and got the radio peaked and tuned and a wilson anntena , but when i go back to driving im gonna get a connex no need for all the other stuff when u have a BIG radio

  12. #12[-Agent-]2008-03-31 19:10

    Uniden PC78XL is what I have in my bedroom. With an 8ft whip. http://youtube.com/watch?v=M7vEFh28MJU It can sound much better but the antenna is in my room.

  13. #13crash9352008-04-02 00:32

    Heres the trick to getting a good radio set up for what you want to do, ask drivers that you know where there is a GOOD cb shop in your area and go see them. Tell them what you want to use it for and if you can take the truck there, show them where you want to mount the antenna, let them open up the radio and tune it up a little, (you dont need 12 watts) and put a good noise cancelling mic on the radio. Take it all home and install it and then TAKE THE TRUCK BACK to the shop to have the antenna matched to the radio. 5-8 wats will get you more than you need on a good radio with a good match. And now that you have found a good shop, let them be the only ones to work on your radio. I drive over the road and have gone a week without my 14 year old radio just so i could get it back to the same guy that has only opened it up 3 times since i bought it new.