Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CDL (Class A or B)

mattp79 ยท 2013-04-10 13:38

Not sure which I need.....class A or Class B CDL for this set up... 33,000 lbs dump truck pulling a 17,000 lbs backhoe on a 7,000 lbs trailer. Thanks.

Replies14
  1. #1Shenandoah2013-04-10 14:06

    From another website: Class A - Any combination of vehicles with gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of at least 26,001 pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. This is your average semi. Class B - Any single vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. Class C - This is any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B. These are usually vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, or materials that have been designated as hazardous. It appears you will need a Class A due to your weight as Class B limits the trailer to under 10,000 GVWR.

  2. #2mattp792013-04-10 15:05

    Ok, thanks...I wasn't sure because the trailer empty would be under 10,000. I did not interpret the GVWR to mean trailer plus what ever happens to be on it. But, that does make sense (G = Gross).

  3. #3Greg2013-04-10 18:48

    You will definitely need a class A for this application.

  4. #4CM19952013-04-10 20:03

    Class A. Just get it, keep it current and you won't have any problems other than the DOT cop that will always find something to write you up for if they want to.

  5. #5tuney4432013-04-10 23:34

    x 2

  6. #6oarwhat2013-04-11 06:58

    My license here in NY is class A restricted truck trailer combination only. To take the test you just take your truck and trailer and don't need a semi. This was done a long time ago I don't know if it's changed.

  7. #7CM19952013-04-11 07:01

    State DOT reg's vary, so check your State regulations. The Federal Law is the minimum requirements, States can be stricter.

  8. #8millercross32013-04-11 12:56

    Side note too...never take your CDL using an automatic, unless you know 100% you'll stay in it for your lifetime. Cuz your class A won't be any good in a manual, you'll be restricted, unless of course they changed that rule. "Just keep grindin' them...it's bound to go in one of those gears"

  9. #9Dozerboy2013-04-11 13:25

    I know a guy that was an instructor for Werner and he had to shift for the kid for 2 weeks. Don't know how he got a license. I agree always get the class A.

  10. #10CM19952013-04-11 19:05

    Depends on your State's laws. I got my Class A CDL in a 26K GVW air brake automatic pulling a 14K electric brake trailer in Alabama.

  11. #11Pauly172013-04-11 20:34

    I'm sure all states are different but in NY you will need a class A restricted.. If you have the ability to get a semi do it.. I have the restricted and my road test is in 2 weeks for the semi.. I wish I would have taken it the first time on a semi!

  12. #12Birken Vogt2013-04-11 21:28

    I believe here in Ca you can get a full license with a small air brake truck pulling an electric brake pintle trailer with a syncro 5 speed, and with the pintle trailer you don't have to do some or all of the required trailer backing manuvers that you do with a regular semi.

  13. #13Randy882013-04-11 22:06

    In my state, you can take the driving test with an automatic and still drive a manual anytime you want, there is no restriction, also it depends on the examiner who gives the test, for me, I had to double clutch the whole time, first and last time in my life I ever did. Back then, I could drive the truck and trailer to the exam myself, if I owned the rig, it was legal in my state at that time, I could also practice for a few months too on my own in my own truck, which I did, but couldn't haul anything. When I got done with the test and had my license the examiner asked me where I was headed, I told him home, he added, gosh I thought you'd head over and pick your dozer up, since your done using it at that job, turns out I was working for his neighbor at the time................ oops. You need a class A cdl to do what you want to do.

  14. #14redneckracin2013-04-13 10:04

    I just took my class A cdl and it was in a 88 ford f800 i believe? it so was old and beat up I couldn't tell what exactly it was with a reefer box and a tri axle car hauler pintle hitch trailer. ONly the truck had air brakes and it was an automatic. No restrictions on my license for the trans or air brakes. The examiner did mention that in the next couple years because of all the hotshotters coming in with the 550 and gn that they would have an additional auto trans restriction placed on their license but for now i'm good to go. For the record, I have never technically driven an air braked truck on the road and I passed the tests pretty easily. I have no plans to drive an OTR tractor or earn a living behind a windshield but because of the horses that we have (33 atm) we have been slowly getting larger and larger trailers and trucks to make getting around easier/safer. I know I know, im soiling the reputation of professional drivers because I can't drive a twin stick mack lol , but for some credit I have been driving a stick since I was 7 (thats not a typo) and my previous truck was a 6 speed as well as all the various tractors i've been on so im not completely imcompetant