2 year ago we got a new kenworth 6 wheeler and the truck is to small so were looking into get a triable. the six wheeler will hold 10 tons with 36in side. the sale man a kenworth wanted me to build it with 48in side. now he is telling me to build the triaxle with 54in sides and 60in tailgate. we want to be able to load with small machine, bobcats. and my thought are if the triaxle can only legally hold 20 tones and six can hold half that. then would a 17foot body with 42in sides be enough to hold 20 tones, or could i go to 36in sides. i am going to do a high lift tailgate do to stumps and larg rock. on the six wheel we have a medium duty body that is all dented up. i want to get a heavy duty rock body i was wondering what your opinion on half round bodies vs square sided bodies. thanks for your help
All of the round bodies I have seen have been medium/light duty. Not the best for large rock. They do tend to clean out better than a square body though. No clumps of dirt sticking in the corners.
http://www.jmhtrailers.com/Dump-Truck-Body-Manufacturer.htm
I noticed only some of the bodies there have boards on the sides. If you got a lower one with boards, you could try running it without boards and if you cant make weight, you could always put the boards on.
i am thinking a roll off with 48in side would be better so it would only be five feet off the ground. could you build the roll of bed with air for tail gate pins and for an electric trap. and strobe lights blinker brake light
roll offs are nice, you can switch bodies in minutes. Yes you can have a air gate roll off box, just remember to disconnect before dropping... down side to a roll off is truck weight, they are about 8 - 10k heavier than a dump. have you thought about a 20' box with 3' sides??
truck is too long to be usable and was told you cant tarp a tri with low side. even with less payload it is better to load it with the equipment that i own. plus you can have two dump bodies load one while dumping the other one truck = 2 truck
I have a 16.5' Bibeau 42" sides with additional 5" sideboards (no doghouse) and can get 18 ton in easy with compact equip. If you know how to load its easy to get 20 ton in there. It all depends how well you can load a truck as to how much you can get in! Go with the 60" gate, anything will go through. Half round bodies are a joke, you loose too much yardage. When the box is new plywood the sides if you don't like dents...
i need a heavy duty rock body we load out shot rock and demo. how thick should the sides be and the floor smooth side or post. who make a good body i doing a high lit gate and was wondering if the is a better cylinder location the the side of the bed only protected by a flyms pice of metal. anybody use the plastic truck bed liner. asphalt door are not worth it because on rock hit and there done any ideas to get the tarp bars out of the bed so when loading the front of the dump the tarp is not in the way
Ox makes a heavy duty round body that you can get with hardox, very strong and not light duty. I owned a Mack tri with that bed and a high-lift gate and I abused it regularly with concrete demo and boulders and it never gave any problems or signs of wear. Grossed 25 tons (legal here on secondary roads) as well on a regular basis. Ox Stampede bed - http://www.oxbodies.com/oxbodies-pdf/the_stampedeHD.pdf Personally I wouldn't have anything but a stampede bed. You can get an auto tarp for pretty much any length dump bed. There are factory bent arms and other types to tuck the tarp arms in close to the headboard. Rolls rite - http://www.rollrite.com/component.php?com_id=74
Just curious where you came up with your numbers to figure that you would only be legal for 20 tons on the triaxle? I believe in this area tri's are legal to 73k, which for most trucks equals out to about 22 tons payload. Also, since I see you are in CT, if you are looking for a quality tarp system I highly recommend power cover. They are located in Waterbury. Not cheap, but well worth it if you are using your tarp a lot.
with a rock body on the truck it a heavy body. the body i was looking at was an body that o&g run a Bibeau bmt with a 1/4 steel liner rated for 3foot minus 17 foot long 42in side with an 8 in side board total 50in 54in high lift tailgate Super-Slide Yellow Quartz liner with 5/8in plywood up the remaining side alc was the only hydraulic tarp company that will custom make a bent arm tarp to fit the body
We have a bibeau on our w900, real nice body, but I don't think it is quite as heavy as what you are looking at. How often do you haul big rocks like that? If not terribly often, and you use some care when loading, you might be able to run a lighter body. Did you talk to power cover about a tarp for what you are looking at? I know we have one from them on our 6 wheeler that has bent arms. Just had them put a new setup on our w9 this winter, beats the pants off of the old electric wind-up tarp that used to be on there.
it not when i load the truck it when i go and pick up stone at the quarry the don't care how they load the trucks i called they can make bent arm for a six wheeler but not a tri axle http://www.groupebibeau.com/eng/prod-BMT.asp brout up to a 1/2in 500 hardox floor and 1/4 hardox 450 sides
I have bent arms on my 24-28' dump trailers I would reccomend going w/ the 450 all over rather than the 500, I have dump trailers we hauled armor stone( 5' granite) and concrete footers as heavy as 30 tons in.I found the 3/8 450 would dent occasionally, but the 500 would crack at the welds since it had almost no flex to it.
i am trying to decide on the hitch for the truck the tailer weight is 55000lbs. i was looking at eather the 880 air adjusted coupling or the 480 coupling i was wonder what the diferece between air ajustlble vs non air
Before you buy you should go check out some set ups and see trucks you like and talk to owners. Tri state KW should be able to hook you up but right down the road from you in Norwalk is Terzian Trucking, he has t800s with steel flat side bodies like you describe, he specs some nice trucks. Also, in Danbury is Earthmovers they have beau roc bodies on their t800s. We have t800s with beau roc heavy duty series bodies but we are further away in NW CT. Thats the best way then you can talk to people and see the trucks face to face and see what they like or would change on their trucks.
with the triaxle you cant two the 315 on a tag trailer. so the two trucks we would look at is get a six with a lift axle or a 18 wheeler with a trailer dump and a gooseneck. witch is better
I have a 98 freightshaker with a 14 foot body on it . This body is made by Laggace. It is a canadian rock body. looking at it you would think it wouldn't last. My sides after 15 years of use have hardly a dent in it, the floor is dented some but not rippled. I have been hauling 4-6 foot rock since Irene hit 2 years ago , if I had a bea rock it would have been junk by now. I bought this truck 8 years ago from a company that I haul for. The truck that replaced this one has a HD rock body from bea rock. He has hauled all the same stuff I have hauled and they have replaced the gate 3 times, floor has been relined twice now the main rails are cracke. They are going to replace it with the same body as the one on my truck. over 400 loads of 4-6 foot rock and the welder has not had to touch it once. I am not sure where a dealer is , if I can find a dealer I will let you know.
don't you wish you got the six with a lift or a tandem from the get go??? i see tri axles towing small shovels all the time ,,, what the issue? ck out Everest bodies, maybe to light for what you say you need, but i think you'll regret a super heavy body , 5/8 ply does the job and if the loader operator dropped heavy rock in my truck without minimizing the damage id be talking to his boss, good luck and pics please
The six wheeler is a great truck put it into foundation were a longer truck would not make it I feel that I went the traditional way with a six and a tri with six new house is going on in seven other projects it's nice to have two trucks to be able to be at two different jobs at the same time and also you have a backup in case one breaks you can still tOw
so u are going with a tri axle?
probably Kenworth t-800 tri axle just because trailer down so so particular on level ground PACCAR MX 13 550 horsepower 13 speed transmission 17 and a half Foot but happens for half inch tailgatesideline with 5 eighths inch plywoodtriple acting tailgatesteerable lift axle 23 ton payload
nice.... how much??
170000$
ouch......
40000$ is tax
30% tax?!
yep fet and epa tire tax because the truck get less then 10 miles to the gallon. 7% ct sales tax it the new government
Considering the price of trucks now a days, I just don't see how a new one can be profitable. I had a tandem and tri axle at one time but got rid of them, I found out that I could hire trucks cheaper and not have all the paperwork hassle of owning larger trucks. Of course that is my business model and what kind of projects I do, I am not saying it doesn't work for other operations. My projects consist of moving large amounts of material in a short time span and then we are laying storm pipe and grading. If I had trucks they would work their ass off for 40% of the project and then sit the other 60% of the time, just can't justify the expense for that. With a phone call I can get as many as I need and sign them out at the end of the day. Just a different perspective that really has nothing to do with the thread.
im the same, i keep one truck to move small amounts of material (my truck holds 17t legal) and transport my equipment ,anything other i hire out as needed, it seems shadow has the $$$ to cover the cost but damn 170k is hard to justify. either way ..... pics please
ctkiteboarding how is the trailer treating you. how do the ramps effect boom placement and how is it loading. can you put two mechines on the trailer
no issues so far, the boom placement is fine but my trailer is long, ive loaded the 140 with the bobcat side ways and it was fine, the air tilt/ramps are cool and loading it is a breeze, it could use a well for the bucket to get the boom lower, im just about to mod it for one as the deck in that small area has paid the price.. my bad i should of bolted a 1/2" plate to rest the knuckle on.. its heavy thou so i guess that's the down side but i dont know if its any heavier then a comparable 25 ton tri.. i paid 11k for it with very ,very little use ,new they are big bucks
spec out the triaxle its weight is 30000 lbs. the 315 we have weighs 41000 lbs. with a trailer weight of 12000 lbs for the triaxle tag total weight is 83000 lbs witch is over weight. if we were to get a six with a lift the truck would weigh 23000 lbs. with the 315 at 41000 and the 12000 trailer. you would weight 76000 lbs. looking at cat website why would our 315 scale out at the same weight as a 318e. dose that mean if we got the lift axle truck we could tow a 318 on a tag trailer? by cat website 318 42000 lbs with the truck and trailer 35000 you have a weight of 77000 lbs
The 318 is going to be wider than the 315, thus needing over width permits to move. The 318 is a b*****d size machine, it's the size of a 320 and all the extra hassles that come with moving it but it has a smaller engine than a 320.
What would make our 315 so heavy Should we get a tri axle and a used gooseneck
315 is more like 36k .... get both : ) my 6 with a lift is 20k empty
I weigh It on a scale
heavy b*****d...
SK 160's and 170's weigh right at 40000 pounds also with a bucket on them. I know the specs say they both weigh between 36800 and 37800, but I have had both of these machines on the Cat scales and the specs are a little on the light side.
Bucket, thumb, other add on's, mud and dirt building up in the undercarriage, etc.
Not sure if the photo will work but this is a t800 that's comes to our yard daily, triaxle with Richards cover and a low side body, he only loads with a 863 Bobcat and brings in some freighted loads.
looking at getting and 18 speed transmission how easy is it to learn how to drive and dump the truck. looking a a 10 wheeler do to the fact that i want to tow a 25 ton trailer and stay under 80000lbs
what is an air adjusted coupling and is a hitch with a 30000lbs tung load big enough
air pintle hitch just has a plate that is pressed against the lunette ring by air to take the slop out, it makes it more comfortable to drive, and lessens some shock loads. 30,000 lbs is the vertical load or weight carried by the truck. that is about the heaviest rating commonly available, and you don't want to hang much more than that behind the axles of a tandem anyway
I'm only hanging 15000lbs i just don't want the hitch to break
i was wondering what transmission the allison 4500 vs 4700 the benefit with the 4700 is deep 1st gear and the 2nd reverse at a cost of 4000$ more paccar 485hp at 1650 ftlb
were try to spec out the t800 10 wheeler do to the weight of the truck need to stay under 25000lbs to tow the trailer with the 315 that weighs 55000lbs. those add up to 80000lbs with in max legal weight in ct. now what i want to know is what engine transmission combination to use. paccar vs cummins allison vs manual i was looking at either a {485hp 1650ftlb with an allison 4700** or {a 550hp 2050ftlb with a 18 speed transmission**
no tri axle? whats the bws weight?
13000lbs trailer 42000lbs 315 equal 55000 lbs trailer weight leaving 25000lbs for the truck a new triaxle weights 32000lbs
id still go tri-axle, my 6 wheeler with tag is 20k lite 53k loaded, a tri can hold 21t so 5 ton is losing alot of carry capacity and the tri with a tri- tag isnt going to look heavy at all... im sure you can get a tri pretty lite if spec out correctly.
not with a rock body and new emission systems kw t800 cam in at 31000lbs peterbilt 667 30000 lbs cat c660 32000 lbs all of the 10 wheeler can in at under 25000lbs with a 15 ton pay load might get rid of the six wheeler for just the 10.
whys the 315 so heavy?
don't know that what it weighed on a scale unless the lowboy driver was lying but he had no reason to tri axle with the emission and frame space needed has an over all length of 34 feet witch make the truck and trailer over the 65 feet allowed
36k 38k
42000lbs
scale it first, you will regret not going tri , just like you said you regret the 6 wheelers lite duty body
I would look toward an 11 liter engine, aluminum air tanks and rims, and anything else before I dropped that lift axle. That axle will make you money, big horses won't. How do they get a 6,000 lb difference, unless the tri is longer?
The triaxle is 7 feet longer It also the over all length with the tri The 10 wheeler is 25 feet the trailer is 40 feet giving u 65 feet the added 7 feet from the tri will make u over 65 feet long and too long to be on the road Towing the trailer will save us more money then a triaxle right now moving the 315 is running 2000$ a month I can rent a tri for fill at 500$ a day and they have a spot to dump the fill
Dang, if that's the shortest you can get now, it makes sense. I used to drive a tri that was only 24'. It was a snubnose IH w/ a 15' dump bed. I'm with you on not really wanting to be in the dump trucking business. I had a few for 15 yrs, sold all but 1 tandem, and 1 tractor trailer in 2010. With what people will haul for now, I say let them do it.
That's cheep!
Deleted
what would you do for hp and transmission
Perterbilt has come thought they will build a triaxle hook lift with a 15 foot bed
there ya go.... how much is that ?
Theres A local guy here who uses Reliance transfer that has notches so he can do work w skid steer and still put the bang boards on if he chooses. Quite slick. Cozad trailer in Stockton can answer all questions. They haul rip rap in em all the time and demo so I think they have the tub for ya
25000$ with 4 boxes cummins 550 with 18 speed
My 2007 international 10 wheeler with a GVW of 66,000 lbs weights right around 25K empty. I have it registered at 65,000 Lbs, the maximum I can certify it at in NH. So I can haul 20 tons on it legally.
250k ????