Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CDL DOT physical exam

Theresa1 ยท 2016-01-26 19:06

I am not quite sure if I am in the right forum or website but, any insight is appreciated. Cardio inhibitory syncope and CDL license/DOT medical exam.? About 3 years ago, someone that I know fainted suddenly while seated in a barber chair. In following up at the doc's office, a tilt test was done. They fainted and heart stopped for about 13 seconds before the doc stepped in. From that, they were diagnosed with cardio inhibitory syncope. Meds were given but, never taken. There had been no fainting issues before then and none since. This person is now interested in becoming a OTR driver and training for their CDL license. We read somewhere that fainting/apnea type issues were a no-go when it comes to passing the exam. In discussing this with the person, they don't plan to mention the syncope or episodes to the examiner because they feel it was just a 1-time happening. Won't old medical records somehow reveal this at the time of testing? T

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2016-01-26 19:35

    Not likely, but if there were ever an accident, it may well come to light and be a real nightmare. I've had a few DOT exams, the latest less than a year ago. No medical records were accessed, only medical history is the paper form you fill out and verbal questions during the exam, at least here in Oregon. Good luck.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2016-01-27 23:33

    Don't ask, Don't tell, and don't recline when driving. Stay upright in the seat like a real diver does and there should be no issue. Of course this opinion is only as good as the money paid to get it.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-01-28 02:09

    Fer chrissake pump the seat up so you can see where you're going. Those drivers that put the seat down to the floor so their eyeballs are level with the top of the dash scare the bejeezus outta me, what are they trying to prove? Sorry, off topic but I felt the need to vent, LOL

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-01-28 07:40

    I second that.

  5. #5Multiracer2016-01-28 10:09

    I third that.

  6. #6Tractorguy2016-01-28 19:55

    Was anything determined that led to it? I'm on the road as well as my family and regardless of a one time incident or not there is always that possibility? Why not take medication..?

  7. #7d9gdon2016-01-28 20:28

    Always the bull haulers down here...but they might be on some road meds anyway lol.

  8. #8Jim D2016-01-28 23:52

    Yeah. An old-timer used to shame those guys. He always had an old, thick, yellow pages phone book. When they drove up, he'd walk up to one of them, hand them the phone book, and say something like "Here, sonny, sit on this until you grow tall enough to see over the steering wheel".

  9. #9kenzie252016-02-09 23:09

    i thought it already proved as accident.