Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cdl question

denver m farms ยท 2015-10-13 15:45

I was asked something today that I didn't know the answer to, And i can't find the answer anywhere so I thought I would see if anyone here knew. If a person has a class B with air brakes and wants to go to a class A what all is involved? Is it just like starting over as if you have no CDL, or does already having a B with air brakes help in any way?

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2015-10-13 17:02

    I can't make promises but my best guess would be you would need to take at least the Combination knowledge test, and take a skills/drive test in a class A vehicle with trailer.

  2. #2CM19952015-10-13 19:51

    That'd be my best guess also. State laws vary so there might be more or less involved, you never know what you're getting into with the DMV.

  3. #3redneckracin2015-10-18 16:40

    I'd say you would have to pass the skills/driving test for sure. I don't think the knowledge test would be different?

  4. #4CM19952015-10-18 19:42

    He should have to take the combo knowledge test as lantraxco stated.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-10-18 19:59

    Here you would have to take the combination skills knowledge written test and a behind the wheel test with tractor and trailer. You air brake cert would be valid.

  6. #6Shimmy12015-10-18 21:57

    Afraid to say, but like everybody else has said, you're not to far away from basically re-doing everything. Combo vehicle written, I would guess you need a combination air brake exam, plus road test including complete pre-trip. I've never really understood why guys stop at a class B. Why limit yourself?

  7. #7lantraxco2015-10-19 00:04

    Sometimes that's all you have available for the drive test....

  8. #8Ruger_5562015-10-19 01:21

    You need to do the combination written and take the drive test over again, at least here in WA. I have my class A, I almost went with a class B but I'm glad I didn't.

  9. #9denver m farms2015-10-20 15:20

    Yes, I'm glad I got the A when I did. This question was just something I was asked about and really didn't know how it would work.