Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CDL Training

marshjhm ยท 2010-04-20 19:14

I need to get my CDL so I can move my heavy equipment, but the training requirements are a problem. I need to work during the week, but the only programs I have seen in this area require me to attend training on week days. Is there a way to get the required training on the weekends? I know it will take longer, but I cannot take the time off of work to get it. I live in eastern Washington State, and there appears to be few providers of this service. How can I get the required training?

Replies7
  1. #1tonka2010-04-20 20:07

    Is the place you work requiring it? See if they offer night classes, you can do the classes in about 2-4 weeks, they run you in and out like steers. Do you have your permit, if you dont you will need that 1st. Get the study book at the DMV, find a friend with a truck who will teach you how to drive, use his truck to take driving test.

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2010-04-20 20:42

    cdl I agree 100% and add this Get the book from DMV and study, study, study. You need to know and understand everything in that book. I did say understand. In my area you need to get your medical card before you can take the test. There is a online CDL test study that you can pay to use, there are several and I forgot what one I used. It basically is a questions and answer deal, you pay a upfront money (like $50) to use it for 3-4 months. Its best to study and understand the book first, then buy the online study, if you want it. You need a lot of experience and knowledge to move equipment (Im thinking moving big excavators, dozers, extra wide equipment) How you get this experience is a big question. I would not want a inexperienced driver to move my big equipment. The same licenses move Bobcat skidsteers and big excavators and Ill say this before someone else does, "with a little experience there is not much difference, just bigger". What kind of equipment are you going to move at work? Is there someone that you can get the driving experience with? You need to know the parts of the truck, for that pre-trip insp. You need to get that trailer backing, down pat, remember a short trailer is harder to back, when compared to a longer one Good Luck

  3. #3DiamondLTruckin2010-04-20 20:50

    I just got my CDL about 2 months ago and I'm 18. Unfortunate that you're in Washington I think they require some astronomical ammount of hours that you have to drive with a CDL Instruction Permit. Took the test with a 07 Kenworth T800 and 04 Trailmax TRD54T trailer. As far as you written test goes, just sutdy the DMV book real good a couple days before you go to take your test. As far as the driving test goes it's fairly easy as long as you have the basics down of driving and backing the rig you're driving. Pre-Trip test I would advise to just get to know the truck you're taking the test with, and it really will help out if it's clean and neat-appearing in my opinion. Good Luck with getting your CDL!

  4. #4Orchard Ex2010-04-20 20:57

    Have you checked at your local community college? Ours offers CDL training and IIRC sometimes they offer a Friday/Saturday schedule that strings out over time. Ours isn't cheap and as said you need your medical card in hand to sign up, but it may be an option.

  5. #5Kgmz2010-04-20 23:29

    The required training rule in Washington is ridiculous. I think the schools must have lobbied for this. The rule is you need 160 hours of class and on the wheel training, so basically 4 weeks. And they charge $3,000 and up for this. Class A 160 total hours, including at least: 40 hours of classroom instruction 18 hours of street driving training 16 hours of training in backing maneuvers 16 hours of proficiency development 70 hours of combined lab training, range training and observation I know a few guys that rushed to get their CDL's a couple of years ago or so before this rule went into effect. Now where are you located, and what do you do for work? Something unrelated to this, and you are a weekend warrior with your equipment. One way around this if you know someone that runs heavy trucks. See if they can employ you part time and train you, then they can sign off on the education requirements. See this page at Washington DOL about exempt Employer certified drivers. http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdltrainreq.html And another sneaky way that a couple of people have done. Not sure where you are in Eastern Washington, but are you close to the Oregon border. If you know someone in Oregon, use their address and get a Oregon drivers license for a year. You will still have to pass the general knowledge test and pass the drive test which will include the walk around, pre trip inspection, etc. After a year get your Washington license back and you will have a CDL in Washington without having to do any training or tests. See this page about transferring CDL from other state to Washington. http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdltransfer.html

  6. #6marshjhm2010-04-22 13:18

    Thank you all for your input. I am doing the weekend warrior thing, so I cannot get any help from work. I have a backhoe, a Ford F5500 and a small crane, Bantam S588. I been able to get the backhoe moved with a trailer and a 1 ton pickup, but I believe I am over weight. I am looking at buying a 10 wheel dump truck to pull the backhoe around with. The crane will require a bit more, it weighs around 50K. I have driven it to some local jobs, but anything more than a few miles and it becomes impractical. It seems that the CDL is the only way to do this. I will look around some more, and see if I can get weekend work as a student driver.

  7. #7bonanno232010-04-22 20:20

    I live in NY, so my comments might not apply to your state. If you're driving a 50k lbs crane down the road, I'm pretty sure you need a CDL. One little accident and you can kiss your operation good buy ( driving it without a CDL ). the requirments in your state sound rediculous! i took my rd test in a W900 with a lowbed with no training classes at all. each state has their own set oh rules it all comes down to $$$$$$$$