So can some one help me out I'm not up on all this plant stuff. I HAVE BEEN WANTING A CRUSHER to crush rocks, concrete, and brick. This guy has a Cedar Rapids but could not tell me what model it is, he did not know but replied there were numbers all over it. I even asked him about the jaw size he was unsure, Its a ex county owned machine and he has tones of spare parts belts bearings ect, Its powered by a 3406 cat has tandem wheels 5th wheel so you can pull it with a semi. He just told me it was a jaw roll crusher has hydraulic grizzley 4" holes and another deck has 2" holes its got a big round wheel with a roller track does material spin inside it and get crushed some how please explain if you can. What could it be worth? it works as I seen video. I got to go see it and make offer he said the county paid over 140,000 for it 10 years ago, I don't know the year of it either.
That would be a commander plant , probably a 10or12 by 36 in jaw crusher and then a roll crusher to recrush the jaw crushings down finer again... they were good old plants.
It has a jaw crusher, a two deck screen and a roll crusher, all of which would be difficult to work on, even to change a screen cloth on the top deck of the screen. The only advantage I see in it is you can move everything in one trip, whereas with separate components you'd have 4 loads, which would consist of the jaw, screen, roll crusher and generator which would power everything plus a flat bed load of conveyors. Google the 3 separate components I named to see how they work. Speaking for myself, I'd shy away from it simply because of the difficulty of performing routine maintenance on the components let alone major repairs. Mike
The big wheel is called a rotovater around here and takes the screened oversize and sends it back to the feed conveyor for a second pass threw the crusher.
I bought one of those for a company I worked for. A lot of those type of plants were originally built for the military, then sold off as surplus later. They are really useful for a small operation that does not need high capacity. The one I bought was used to crush surplus/out-of-spec/unsold bricks. We moved it around to several different brick plants, and it did a great job. They are not that hard to work on, but everything is pretty jammed together, and there are a LOT of wear parts to keep up with. If the material you want to crush will respond well to a jaw and a roll crusher, then go for it. All of these plants are going to be old, mostly manufactured in the 50's or early 60's, so don't spend too much up front, and expect a lot of repairs to be needed up front. Cedar Rapids and Pioneer built most of these old plants. Cedar Rapids like to use Detroit diesels on theirs. A lot of the Pioneer plants had Cat diesels on them.
Correct me if I am wrong but I wouldn't be putting concrete though that plant if you could get the chunks though the plate feeder and managed to get the rebar to the rotovator with out tearing a belt or jamming up the rolls it would likely end there Might be good to run some gravel though If you have knack for keeping old wore out junk together its an expensive high maintenance operation our 20x36 cedar rapids just got bearings 20,000
Putting concrete through this type of plant is not advised as all material goes over the screen before it passes through the jaw. If you have a material that has rebar or mesh, it will hang up in the screen. I doubt it would even make it to the jaw, through the second deck to the rolls and then the rotovator or rat wheel as some call it up here. They are a fairly popular plant here in Canada, their only downfall is the tonnage. We used to get about 200 tph on a good day making 20mm base gravel and about 175-200 for asphalt material. some of the newer cone setups will get almost double in some of the same pits. Maintance is a little more, we had to shut down and hardsurface the rolls from time to time. Changing screens is not hard, just a little cumbersome at times, but never took more than time than on the larger systems. As for bearing, well, they go, no matter what type of jaw, or cone, system. according to the cedarapids pocket book you should be able to find a serial plate by looking at the kingpin end, the plate is on the front cross member of the truck frame. it should say some thing like model 544, or model 442 of something like that. Each number represent, jaw, roll, and screen. hope this helps.
Well thanks for everything its a cheaper priced unit under 30,000 I'm hoping to get it for 20 to 25000 and comes with a bunch of spares to help keep it going. last thing they were doing with it was running creek bed sandstone thru it. I would run a concrete pulverizer on the track hoe to help feed it and would try not to run any crete that has wire or rebar HOWEVER could one cover or replace the screen with sheet of steel and just run thru jaw?
OK guys well he got back to me its a Cedar Rapids model 443 commander which is the smaller version I guess as I found print out with models so it has a 10 x 36 size jaw the others have a 12 x 36 jaw the screens a 48" x10 says tph 200 to 320 based on 1" material
Does he have an automatic welder system for the touching up the rolls? if you plan on doing a lot of work, it is an ideal tool to have. I don't know how many people still travel around doing that type of work. I thought about what you said about covering the screen with a steel plate. I don't think it will work because the crushed material will come back around then have no way to get down to the pay belt, so it will just go around and around the system.
would that welder be like one used for line boring I guess some how there will have to be a way figure out how to crush concrete if it has wire mesh the best is to keep it clean
That one appears (pictures are vague) to have the original star drive system. Im surprised by that because most of the star drives that power the roll crusher were replaced by rubber tire drive. I spent ten summers running one of those as a kid!! That reminds me of the sound of the jaw crusher going " pucka pucka pucka" all day long. We pushed to that plant with a 3T D7. I'd love to hear those two units working together again.
I would snatch that up in a heart beat if it was around here, they are generally 85k plus and it would be a perfect size for my little outfit.
Yea, they don't last on the market too long. My dad has helped sell three units in the last couple of years. Usually go to the smaller contractors to supply inhouse or small municipal jobs.
Just remove the bottom deck of the screen. Mike
Also if you can keep the jaw choke feeding :ie keeping it at least 1/2 full while it's running it will make a more uniform product having less rock returning to the jaw to be crushed again. If it has more and more returning to the jaw it will need the discharge opening closed up to eliminate some of the return. With a jaw you'll never totally eliminate the return. It's just a matter of maximum throughput w/ minimum return which takes trying different discharge openings to find the sweet spot. And since the feed has to go over the screen before going to the jaw. For myself, if you're crushing concrete or shot rock, I'd prefer the feed go thru the jaw first and then to the screen unless you're crushing pit run gravel which would run thru like it's set up. JMHO, Mike edit:IIRC that cedar rapids screen has grease zerks on both impulse shafts on the drive end which need to be greased every 4 hrs, and a sight glass on the other end which lubes the countergears with 80w90 oil and it needs to be checked every day's run as the seals can leak oil into the cover over the impulse weights. There's a small hole in the bottom of the weight cover and if you see oil dripping out the hole that means the seals are leaking.
wow thanks for everything I just hope the guy calls me back I wanted to take the drive to see it in action for myself at his yard but I have not heard back from him wish me luck as you never know what might be happening
We had a 544. They put a boat load of money into it, and then sold it for a song. They sold it with the Detroit on it, but we ran it with a gen set, and electric motor. From the time it was dropped in the pit, until you were set up and crushing might be 2 hours. Now the spread they have, to tear down, move, and set up can take as much as 4 or 5 days, and cost about 7 or 8 thousand dollars. They had a little job this summer to crush 25000 tonne of inch and a quarter. Would have been a perfect job for the 544, but they had to tear down the quarry spread, move a cone, a screener, a feeder, at least a load of belts, a gen set, a fuel tank, and 2 loaders. So at least 8 moves. One loader would keep the 544 going, so half the moves, and production in Les than a day.
Portability is a positive but you have to balance that against the TPH desired. Will you be happy to be able to move cheaply and take at least 3 times longer to do the job. Mike
I worked around a Cedar Rapids back in the 80s, we had a guy who'd come and hard face the jaws, rolls and whatever else needed done on buckets, etc. He'd show up in the early evening and weld into the night while it was cool, and have an old electric AM radio plugged in nearby, nothing but static coming out from the welder running. I was a kid, had welded some, but got curious and asked him, "Why the radio?" He said it was to judge the performance of the welding arc. I have no idea whether he was pulling my leg or not, but that old Motorola was nearly black when I'm sure it must have started out life white, obviously it'd logged a bunch of hours next to him.
I understand that your numbers are going to be down with the 544, but our main spread stays in our quarry all season. They make asphalt aggregate for our own plant. They move in during the middle of May, and come back out in November. 90% of our aggregate comes from our quarry. They buy some material from another quarry just to share the wealth, blending sand comes from another pit, and some government jobs call for river gravel. It was nice to have the 544 for the river gravel. You don't need the primary because nothing is really bigger than 5 or 6 inch, and unless you have trucks to load, one loader and 2 guys can pick away at it, and the main spread can stay where it is. Sometimes they haul the big spread in, and it takes more time to move than it does to crush. Guess my point is, the 544 was in top shape, and since they bought it new, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was paid for.......would have been nice to hang onto for the small quantity jobs.
I'm not beatin' the little guy down, just sayin' it's all a matter of value of time. If the OP plans to crush concrete I'll suggest a 24"x36" jaw with feeder and the under jaw belt feeding into the feeder on the little guy to break it down to a manageable size for the little jaw. A pecker on a track hoe would do in place of the big jaw but IMO would be slower. If the concrete has wire or rebar, that opens a whole new can of worms. Been there, done that!! I and my crew had to crush a whole bunch of ore mined underground and brought to the plant on which we had an electromagnet hanging over the under jaw headpulley. As far as metal goes, underground miners are TRASHY!! I sold $800 worth of scrap iron in about 3 months. Mike
Hey guys thanks for the info I missed out on the 443 commander some guy got there before I did I wanted to see it in person not by the blurry video sent to me I asked the guy to send me a new video with larger size rocks - so I could see them crushed to smaller size but could not get him to do it and so the ice storm came I did not make it out on the travel. 25000 bought it here is what I got from all of you this was not the machine to have for crushing concrete with rebar wire mesh ect. if you are going to crush concrete get a Jaw let the jaw eat it before it drops on the belt. so I think I will look for a jaw. I did find a Wsv Tyler screen its portable its a triple deck I think and has diesel power very big looking I want to be able to get 3/4 clean product this is suppose to only cost $6000 the guy retired he said it has a production of 400 tph and he paid over 50,000 it has tandam wheels and 5th wheel for semi been sitting still for a while going to look at it its close.
This is a jaw/roll crusher. The company I work for operates 3 of this style. It's built by Lippmann and the model is dual-king. They are high production two plant configuration type.
Fiat, if you want to make 3/4"minus besides the screen and jaw you'll need a standard cone crusher with a closed circuit off the top deck. Don't know what the average size of the incoming concrete rubble is, so you have to size the jaw to what ever size will fit the jaw and that depends on how much $$ you want to spend with a pecker on a trackhoe. Some rubble can be broken down with teeth on the loader bucket, but it's hard on the loader and operator. I'll recommend a 24"x36" jaw and a 3' standard cone. You say you want 3/4" clean product. Does this mean you want to screen off the fines meaning the 3/4" will be from 3/4" to whatever size screen is in the lower deck? If so you have to run two decks pulling the 3/4" off the center or bottom deck. If you only run two decks then the deck with no screen cloth on it will have to have the crown bars protected. The easiest way is to leave the crown rubbers on the bars and secure them to the bars with cheap worm style hose clamps spaced about 18" to 2' apart. Back to the jaw. For rubble with rebar I'll recommend a slide bed directly under the jaw instead of troughing rollers. With troughing rollers I can guarantee a ripped belt in short order. Another trick is to keep the underjaw belt just tight enough to carry the load, that way if a rebar punctures the belt it will stop. With a slide bed this seldom happens. You can locate the troughing roller the rebar is hung on, torch cut the rebar flush with the belt surface or use a cutoff wheel on a small grinder, If the belt still won't move, then throw some water in the head pulley while it's turning. Pull down on the bottom side of the belt and believe it or it will eventually get enough traction to move the belt. Be ready to immediately stop the belt when the rebar is visible as it can still rip the belt when it goes over the return rollers. The slide bed should only need to be 6' to 8' long. I strongly advise an electromagnet hanging over the under belt head pulley. Even with it some iron will still get past it if the chunk of concrete it's still attached weighs too much for the magnet to grab it and hold it. Now to the secondary crusher if you choose to have one. With a cone crusher, if a piece of rebar gets hung up under the cone head and cause rock to pile up and possibly damage the dust seal. With a roll crusher, google "nip angle on a roll crusher". Nip angle is the maximum size rock it will break without the rock slipping against the rolls. Of course the discharge opening of the rolls plays into this angle. You can maximize the angle by keeping tall beads of nickle manganese weld across the faces of the rolls. If you choose a roll crusher then the discharge opening of the jaw will have to be pretty small which translates into TPH. IMO crushing reinforced concrete can be a tedious and expensive task. Everything I've elaborated on is because I've been in this rodeo. At least the ore from underground didn't have the iron attached to it. HTH and good luck, Mike