Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cement,how much does it weigh?

Timark80 ยท 2008-09-03 21:29

I'm planning on trying to pickup, with my Ford 2600 tractor a 4'x7'x4"thick pad in my circular driveway. I have a 8' boom pole on the 3pt hitch and need to move the slab/pad out to my barn area(75yds)away. I planned digging underneath then wrapping 2 h/d nylon straps to cradle it. My main Question is how much does it Weigh?? I don't want to mess -up my boom pole,or my 3pt tractor system. I can always drag it if necessary. Thanks, Mark

Replies7
  1. #1humboldt deere2008-09-03 21:39

    your slab is around a third of a yard, so my guess is that it weighs around 1300-1400 lbs

  2. #2humboldt deere2008-09-03 21:41

    sorry repost

  3. #3dirt digger2008-09-03 22:00

    1400 pounds....concrete weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot (pcf)

  4. #4digger242j2008-09-03 22:51

    Unless it has rebar in it, it might crack when you pick it up anyway. Keep that in mind as you set your slings.

  5. #5Timark802008-09-03 23:37

    Thankyou for the great info everyone, and so quickly. The rebar is a fact that I really didn't think of. Just have to see what the little 2600 can handle I'l let ya know how it turns out tomorrow. THANKS!

  6. #6dirt digger2008-09-04 07:30

    150pcf is the weight with typical rebar...rebar doesn't add a lot of weight when you figure in the space it takes up to the concrete it displaces...if the slab doesn't have rebar then it will actually weigh a little less then 1400 lbs... but as noted, it will be more likely to crack.

  7. #7Timark802008-09-04 21:15

    My Ford 2600 will not lift 1500lbs safely Or 1400lbs. I tried a few times and the frontend kept lifting up. Could have dragged it but that was not an option. Had to break it in half,all went well after that!