Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cement info?

mrbb · 2016-09-16 20:11

Ok I am looking to build a small 3 sided building for parking some small equipment in, heaviest will be a 7500 lb skid steer was wondering how think of cement do it need for that, its a cheap project I am trying to knock out, (14x16 ft pad right now) so was wondering is 4 inch is enough on some gravel, say 2-3 inched of 2b,? or do I need thicker ?? and if so, how much? On a budget, to going thicker will then mean a smaller pad/ opinions please?

Replies31
  1. #1nowing752016-09-16 20:29

    Don't use cement you need concrete

  2. #2nowing752016-09-16 20:32

    Sorry could not help myself. I would think 4" would work

  3. #3DIYDAVE2016-09-16 20:54

    also depends on the PSI of the mix, too.

  4. #4repowerguy2016-09-16 20:58

    Ask for a 4000lb. blended agg. mix, 4" thick will be enough, you'll want air entrainment also. If you can get it screeded out in short order, super p is a nice add mix.

  5. #5Scrub Puller2016-09-17 00:36

    Yair . . . mrbb 1 shovel cement, two of sand, three of gravel into the mixer with a bit more cement for luck at the end has worked for me at around a third the cost of store bought. Four inches should be fine but I usually thicken even a little slab around the edges and be sure to use some reo. Working on my own I would pour a pad like that in three sections. Cheers.

  6. #6DDoug2016-09-17 06:38

    Most times I see these equipment sheds, they just have a gravel floor. You could treat it like prepping for a future concrete floor, and putting down some plastic under the gravel. It should keep down any ground wetness, then as the budget allows, pour the floor at that time.

  7. #7mrbb2016-09-17 10:32

    Thanks guys for all the reply's and info I want a pad over just a gravel floor due to , its at a hunting camp, and so far NO building there has a level cement/concrete floor to do any type of repairs on, or just tired of laying in dirt and kneeling on small rocks and stones HAHA! I am NOT doing the pad myself, having a guy come in to do it, will use rebar in the pad, and it has a good 3+ inches of gravel now on the site , on the edges he planned to have like a 1 ft buffer 6 inches deep so that was something I forgot to mention in opening. SO< a good 4000 pis mix will be fine if I go on a 4 inch pad then That sounds like what I will do then HOPING to get it started next week or the likes will post some pic's once its done! Thanks all

  8. #8DIYDAVE2016-09-17 19:38

    If you spend a couple buck$ on the plastic vapor barrier, you won't have heavy metal objects sweating with condensation, during foggy weather of late winter/early spring...:Banghead:Banghead

  9. #9mrbb2016-09-17 19:44

    even if I pour cement down? never seen anyone use that stuff, about here its always gravel, and then pour< adding rebar or, if wanted?

  10. #10wosama931b2016-09-20 18:46

    I've found that its better to use the vapor barrier, and a footer. I the north you can have a problem if it gets water under. Also the mix, concrete is more 4, bag mix, or 5 bag, price by the yard. Good luck, sam.

  11. #11mrbb2016-09-20 19:50

    thanks, BY a vapor locker, you stioll me plastic sheeting under the gravel or on top of it before pad is poured? please explain if you don't mind?

  12. #12DIYDAVE2016-09-21 06:44

    plastic goes above the gravel, under the concrete...

  13. #13Willie B2016-09-21 07:34

    Consider if you have gravel soil that you already have in place 4/5 of what concrete is made of. Calculate volume, and add Portland cement. Till in with a rototiller, rake level, and sprinkle. I tried it once inside a garage. It gave a rough texture, but otherwise worked fine. Willie

  14. #14mrbb2016-09-21 14:29

    OK thanks, I never seen that done before, but sure won't hurt any to do so will try it when I get there, having a slight issue with zone officer? holding me up?? squawking about what they call a NEW building on my lot??

  15. #15Georgia Iron2016-09-24 19:14

    According to experience, concrete is more than likely to crack with rebar if it is not at least 5.5"s thick. Your buildings roof will sweat even if you use plastic in the slab. Spray foam the tin to stop sweating. I would use 2 x 6 forms and 3000 with fiber and steel # 3 18's on center or 24" if you need to save a little.

  16. #16mrbb2016-09-24 19:25

    thanks, the guy that is doing the pad, said he plans to use 5 inches, will use a vapor barrier, and will have to see on the spray on insulation, wasn't planning that, as this will be a 3 sided building, one side will be open? so think maybe that will allow enough air flow to vent things? its going to be 12 ft high on one side and then 10 ft on low side, all leaned to one side, so snow can slide off away from another building I have next to it still waiting on zoning, MAN they move slow, but? once I get the Ok, I will be getting this done, cold weather is coming, so want it done before things start to freeze?

  17. #17Georgia Iron2016-09-24 19:54

    Open or not it will sweat. Not always just when air Temps change and the moisture is right for it to. I see it on completely open metal carports. Vapor barrier is a waste of money unless you heat and cool it. I can't believe this dam country has us bent over there knée needing code compliance at a hunting camp. I am counting the days till we say enough is enough.

  18. #18mrbb2016-09-24 20:09

    I hear that, it sucks when you buy a place and then cannot do even simple things the thorn in my side is the TWP supervisor lives 1/4 mile from it, and he is a Jerk, and thinks he owns the area? so cannot just do something there, he will go NUTs to screw me! I will use a vapor barrier, if it helps any, OK, if not, , NOT that worried about it got to be better than parking crap on dirt and mud! LOL and like I said, I want a spot that I can knee's and not be on gravel to work on things its going to be in a spot that gets little to NO sun light too, so I know its a damp spot as is but its where it will fit best so? that's where its going! will also work as a shield to block the peeping eye's of the TWP supervisor too! an added plus will **** him off NOT being able to see all I do then LOL and even better today, the neighbor that owns the land next to me on other side has a small cabin there, and I have pine tree's running down mi side of things, there about 40 yrs old he called me today to tell me he is hiring a tree cutter to trim off ALL branches on HIS side and sending me the bill? as legally I have to pay I am told?? would have been nice to have the chance to trim myself ?? but NOPE< had a tree cutter there today he told me?? cannot waiting to get that bill 250+ feet of tree cutting?? closest branch was about 40 ft from his cabin, yet he said he was worried about IF he didn;t trim them they would fall on his cabin?? been there 40 yrs problem free I would have gladly trimmed if he asked me and gave me a chance?/ some people just SUCK and sucks even more when you Have to deal with them, wish I knew them better before I bought the place?

  19. #19Delmer2016-09-24 21:15

    I sure wouldn't be paying that bill. This might vary by state, but every law I'm aware of allows a neighbor to trim the branches at the property line with minor conditions, and he could TRY to get you to remove a dangerous tree, nowhere that I'm aware of would he be allowed to trim the branches on your side of the property line, or charge you for the work. If they fall on his house and damage it, then he has to prove negligence to win a suit against you. Negligence is not owning 40 year old relatively young trees that drop a branch in a storm, negligence is allowing a dead tree right next to his house that you know about. If he already cut the branches, see if he cut them over the line and be prepared to countersue for damage to your trees if he sues to collect his bill.

  20. #20DIYDAVE2016-09-24 21:17

    The so-calld neighbor is prolly a friend of the inspector. I'd check with a local lawyer about the legality of his actions. He has to give you time to respond, at the very least. A strongly worded letter from Wee, Cheatum and Howe, would prolly change his tune...:my2c:my2c

  21. #21fast_st2016-09-24 21:42

    Yeah, I'd question that bill, doesn't sound like it'd hold water. Had a neighbor here, monster pine fell down and cleaved another neighbors barn in half, barn owner's insurance company didn't care where the tree started from, they paid out without even contacting the tree stump owner. Its fine that they're sending you the bill, not fine in expecting you to pay it without even consulting you, send em packin!

  22. #22mrbb2016-09-25 00:11

    I am pretty sure on this, as my other property, PA contacted a local lawyer I knew, he looked into it, and the deal is anything of your's ON his side of things I am responsible for, and since the branches were of MY tree's, that meant the job was mine to keep them off his property! SO this is basically the same deal, only difference is, the hunting property is very rural and other place was pretty developed, but law I believe is state wide this land owner next to me is an older person, that is miserable all the time, spends there day, driving up and down the road spying on locals and constantly calling the police to complain about nothing(friends with local cops, they tell me all time what she calls them about) for last few winters she has been calling the cops on the plow truck, she claims they push too much snow into her property when they plow the road and its all woods, NOT a yard or anything planted, just woods so, this spring she hired a surveyor, and threatens to sue the town ship if they plow snow and it gets on her property now?? NUTS, she is I tried to smooth things with her too, I even offered to rake any small stone the plow guys leave when the snow melts still didn;t care went on a big rant to me about she will just sue them?? as she has proof she warned them LOL some folks just need to make waves I think?

  23. #23Delmer2016-09-25 01:03

    http://www.lgc.state.pa.us/download...PropertyIssues01-LimbsFromMyNeighborsTree.pdf I guess you're right. I'd never have believed that was the state law in a rural state like PA, you can't imagine it would be enforced in wooded rural areas, it would open up endless suits. The only logical thing to do is to point out any trees of the neighbors that are overhanging your property line, and request that they be cut back, if there aren't any of their trees overhanging, then you have to guess whether they would actually prevail in a suit and whether it would be worth it to them, it still seems ridiculous to me.

  24. #24mrbb2016-09-25 10:14

    yeah, she does have some that over hang on my side of things, but there way back on the back side of my property, the side she is complaining about she has a road and a little bit of a lawn about the cabin she has there, between property line and her cabin is about 50 ft, I have a few pine tree branches that over hang onto her side about 15 ft IF that, NO where near her cabin but she is squawking that this winter IF there NOT cut down, they will damage her cabin? she is in her 80's and everyone in the area tels me she is a miserable person mad at the world she and I am NOT kidding, spends about 2-3 hrs a day driving up and down the one way road spying on what folks are doing and then reports them to TWP the town ship workers(I'm friends with a few) tell me stories you couldn't make up about her, the past 18+ yrs I have had the place, she never bothered me, as she wanted to buy the place off me, as she owns land on 3 sides of me, so owning my place would give her a big solid chunk of land Issue is, she is CHEAP, (and but yet very wealthy, I knew her father very well, and he lft her a few mill when he passed away) she has offered me like 2500 an acre, and NOTHING for the building and well and septic and all I have done to the place, because she tells me she down't need them/ WELL crap, they ain't free I say! I think the facts now are she see's me building more things and is getting the idea I will NEVER sell to her and , is trying to make things miserable on me, thinking I will sell to her then, which I WON"T , , well, not unless she makes me a real offer! so, looks like I'm getting a bill soon and she WON"T let me on her side of property to trim things, I asked her this morning, and most things I cannot reach from my side , due to too many tree's and thick like plus branches are like 20-30 ft up , she is complaining about! OF well, always something between her and the TWP supervisor, this place is getting to be almost NOT worth keeping, but I like the area , have access to about 10,000 acre's , to atv's snowmobile hunt,hike, fish, and can access all from the place and its very close to a major hi way that gets me to all needed things fast, yet the place is off the beaten path only 36 homes/cabins in the whole town! whole town has just one road HAHA! hoping to out live these two and that who ever moves into there place is more reasonable, as that;'s my hope any how !

  25. #25wosama931b2016-09-25 12:09

    If I were trimming the tree's, I would have give the bill to the one who hired me. If she wants to get you to pay, then small claims court. .. then she would have the burden of proof, go take a few photos. Sam.

  26. #26mrbb2016-09-25 14:04

    I did already take photo's more so in case they cut tree's down on MY side of things this lady is just nuts sadly hate to say that about a person, but she is In the winter time, I used to plow for her for free' till one day she seen me plowing and went ape wild on me, cursing me up and down, saying I was moving HER SNOW , was just trying to be nice as I know she is older lady? so stopped that then in fall I used to clean up all the leaves off the side she is complaining about my tree;s I would n=blow all the leaves out of her whole yard and side from her cabin to my property line, as many time when I was blowing MY side, things went to her side, so tried to keep the peace by doing all her stuff> and all she wanted to do was complain I was trespassing?? SO stopped that too Last thing I did , was I used to mow the lawn in front of my place road side and then would do the same for her, she freaked out on that, and honestly I wasn't ON her property, but the road right away claiming I was devaluing your property?? SO< stopped that LOL I feel bad for the poor kid she hires to mow her lawn she sits in her car following him back and forth and always beeping the horn yelling at the kid, saying Missed a spot here and there, never giving the kid a chance to mow it all and then see?/ when she has a guy plow her driveway, he is ONLY allowed to make ONE pass, and IF he scratches the black top, she take 's him to court she hires a new plow guy every yr as NO one will come back LOL Like I said, she is NOT playing with a full deck of cards and it funny, her father owned all the land and GAVE it to her, and he was such a great nice guy, why I kinda bought the place, as she lived out of state, and when he passed she just left the place empty then,m started living there about 12 yrs back now, and been a nightmare of a neighbor, just miserable all the time, for NO reason I can see, has all the money in the world, nice place, big property with 3 homes on it and this cabin?/ yet just likes to complain about everyone and every thing? some folks are just ?? I guess!

  27. #27fast_st2016-09-26 08:21

    Heya mrbb, so if they cut the branches from your trees and chipped them up, you should get the chips right? Afterall you did pay for them.

  28. #28mrbb2016-09-26 08:43

    I guess I should be entitled to them, but honestly, don't have a use for them, so, won't be fighting for them Haha

  29. #29DIYDAVE2016-09-26 20:29

    You'll never win, with that type of old broom rider. I'd get some bids and trim the trees, before she does, and take plenty of pictures. to hell with her charging trespass. Pile the limbs up, on your side of the line, so she has to look at 'em...:shf:shf

  30. #30mrbb2016-09-27 09:56

    yeah I know there is NO winning with her, but at same time, making her madder than needed doesn't help em either, she has deep pockets and all day and night to dream up more ways to make things harder on me so for now its a waiting game till she kicks the bucket and HOPE who ever gets her place next is more reasonable OR willing to make me a better offer and buy me out!

  31. #31mrbb2016-11-06 20:36

    well didn't get the cement down yet, holding off now till spring time but a pic of the project any how!