Does anyone here use cement stabilized road base on a regular basis? I have a job in Waco, Texas that requires 8 inches of cement stabilized base in the parking lot with 6 inches of concrete paving on top. I did a job years ago when I was a young operator at a bank that is was used on in McGregor Texas and had a 2 inch HMAC cap on it.I remember that it was a hell of a chore to work it fast enough.I had a boxblade to do it as a blade was too large for the job and it worked me to death to hub it and grade it fast enough. Any tips on it? This round I have a blade for it.. input appreciated. Gene
Our concrete supplyer offers a product called "flowable fill".I has alot of fly ash in it ,some aggregate and enough cement in it so it will set up like concrete , yet an excavator could still dig though it after it set's up.I have only seen it used at road crossings on sewer and utility jobs in my area .I think we are talking about the same product Finish Blademan.They bring it in a concrete truck ,and pour it like concrete.We use compacted stone in my area for a roadbase whether it is finished with asphalt or concrete.I would think the cement stabilized base or "flowable fill" would work well for a road base but I have never used it for that.I wish I could be more help on this but I have never used it as a road base.
Is a machine for mixing cement treated base out of question. It does require a water truck and cement supply. The machine we had was made by Cat and was like a big roto tiller. It injected cement and water and mixed it ahead of the finish blade and vibro compactor. I was not responsible for that operation so I don't know the fine points but it did an exceptable job.
dozerdave has one answer, the machine is called a reclaimer (CAT Model RM 300), I have also just processed the material like base. The other way I have used is to windrow your base, and work the cement and water in by turning your windrows over. The cement can be delivered by belly dumps. I have never had a problem with the set up of the product. The ratio is usually 1 part cement to 3 parts base. 1 Point, stay on the dry side too much water makes a mess and you can't rework after set up.
Usually in this area the Lime used is a Kiln dried code (L) lime. I have seen it spread about any and every way you could think about. Highlifts, special spreader trucks, lime spinner buggies, ect, then it gets water added and tilled in, then compacted down. What every you do watch your lungs when working with this stuff. Some of the local contractors even have a air supply on the machine for the operator.
No intent to hijack this thread FinBlade, but i gotta ask TxDirt-How exciting did it get when you ran across the snakes in the culvert in your photo? Where was that taken?
If cement treated base is common there, then some of the suppliers will usually have a pugmill. They will mix it per the specs, and deliver it. Like it was said above, do not get it too wet, and you want to keep your finish up tight to where you are dumping. You need to get it finished in a hurry, or it will be too hard to cut. It is usually a good idea to have a few extra bodies around on a day you will be doing that. If you ever fall behind and do not have extra help, you will have big problems.
Thanks for the replies gents.JDO, this base is made as you spoke of.Locally we don`t use anywhere around here that I know of but in Waco it is very commonly used. I remember that from the only time I ever used.It was a tight parking lot with lots of turns and curves, small parking stalls.Too small to use a grader in so I had to do it with a boxblade..As you mention we had to hurry our posteriors off to set bluetops and grade it quickly. I am not looking forward to doing it again but at least the parking lot we will use it in this time is big enough for me to use a 12H blade in to work it and finish grade it with.. Again thanks for all the replies fellas. Gene
So the way I am reading this, your material is basically a stone with portland cement and water added? If so, why not place the material with a paver? Around here the only cement stabilized material that is used is blended into the soil itself. Usually applied in a powder form, then watered, tilled in, and then compacted. At that point in time it is ready to grade. It is best to be no more than a day behind the stabilization crew for your final grade.
Turbo Some people do spread it with a paver, but not everyone has a paver, so we just have to do without, and hurry. It is a lot like placing soil cement that is plant mixed, like for levees and ponds.
Turbo The material we were making the CTB out of was lahar blown out of a volcano years ago. It is a light gray course sand and hell to load into a scraper unless it is prewet. We had miles of sprinkler lines and Rain Bird sprinklers. The project was an international airport and over 3,000 meters long. Yes lots of CTB with rebars and 18" of concrete.