Had a fella I work with today get stitches in his forehead. Pounding a pin out of the bogey section on a D10. His sledge had mushroomed a bit and a piece came loose, bit him. Just a reminder, clean the edges of your hammers!!
Probably an OSHA violation not having the hammers deburred.....
There are lots of things that don't meet OSHA standards anywhere you go. Just trying to remind some people so no one else has to deal with this.
No disrespect meant, was more of a tongue in cheek remark , it is the sort of accident that happen daily and I whole heartedly agree with a bit of reminding to every one myself included. I have on more than one occasion posted texts from our Health and Safety Authority site highlighting safety issues and showing the financial and criminal costs that have resulted in such reminders not being heeded,so thanks again for your help in keeping me safe at work
If a hammer is mushroomed ..its cracked and should be taken outta service..I know its not always the case ..sometimes its what ever is handy .... This is where your face shield comes in ..no matter what hammer new or old your using .. I have right now ..approx 5 grams of hammer head steel in my forearm ..that was embedded there trying to change a yoke.. the hammer was flawless ..so was the punch ..just the angle and the force of the blow ..i got it in the arm..they cant take it out .. the back of my arm went dead when they tried to retrieve it ...so its best left where it is..Not a big deal unless im unconcious and need a MRI .. The best anyone can do is ..full face sheild.. long sleeve shirts or cover-all's.. check your tool's ...its cheap to replace ...when you consider the human body..
Thats a good idea flashpuppy.I have been pretty lucky over the years recieving only stitches & bruses.Most of my injurys have came from swinging a hammer or using a chisel.I always ware eye protection as I cant afford to loose an eye.I have a piece of wheel bearing race imbeded in hand.It chiped off the race as I was driving it out of the wheel,I noticed the a small spark and puff of smoke come off the bearing race then I looked at my hand to see the blood flowing.The bearing chip went in my hand like a bullet.I heeled over ok,Just glad it was my hand and not an eye.
I was busting up a tree stump with a wedge and sledge when a sliver went through my pants and leather tounge(sp) of my boots into my leg. Didn't see the sliver fly but my leg felt like it was on fire. Doctor said "you know how it fills to be shot, now". I don't bust up wood with wedges anymore. :drinkup
Yep, had it happen to me too, and I wasn't the one swingin' the hammer! My shop hand was banging a pin out of and excavator bucket, I was walking by...6 feet away from them mindin' my own business. Then...felt like I got shot in the back of my right forearm, and it was burning! "Dang man...you shot me" Looked at the large drift pin he was using and sure enough, saw a clean piece missing. Got a magnet out of toolbox and sure enough, frag under surface of skin. I looked at him and said "you put it in there, you get it out!" Went out back of the shop in the sun for good light, he made incision with single edge razor blade, was able to wiggle it out the incision with the magnet. Pretty good size crescent shape piece of steel. I said "In the old days...they gave them a shot of whiskey when removing a bullet...where's my whiskey?"
Did we not discuss the evils of this vile liquid previously AtcoEquip??????
Same here. I had a piece of crownwheel lodged in the side if my finger, and I was wearing gloves. I take more care to wear safety glasses now....
just bit down on this here stick and yourll be fine......bahaha
LoL, I was just messing with my helper Stock, we were at work, didn't expect to get any there. I like that one! Actually, wasn't that bad. I was kinda wierd, though, wiggling a piece of steel out from under your skin with a magnet. And I'll take this "flyin steel" a step further; everybody be careful when working a grinder. I've lost count how many times I've had to get a grinding spark removed from one of my eyes. I've always worn safety glasses, even had one stick to an eye while wearing glasses and...a clear faceshield! Those little buggers are moving so fast, bouncing off of everything like little bullets, they can bounce right off your clothing, hit your cheek, and bounce right under your glasses into one of your eyes. I told a doc once that I was beginning to think my eyeballs were magnets!
Thanks for the reminder everyone, I always wear glasses, but I forget about the long sleeves in this heat. These stories are great, because now I will think about that next time I'm swinging.
My piece came off a ripper tooth that was stuck to a shank on a dozer. It didn't burn, but it felt like I got smacked with the back end of a ball peen hammer. I took another couple of swings when the operator said he thought he saw some blood on my boot. I looked down and it was covered. Went to the hospital where they took an xray and it looked just like an arrow head have way through my leg in front of my calf. The doc didn't want to mess with it so said let it heal. It was sore for a couple of weeks and then my foot started going numb. The doc said it has to come out. I keep it in a film canister as a reminder of what stupidity looks like. It is still so sharp you can shave with it. There are lots of ways to get hurt! Don't make an effort to find them.
Well went for my first MRI today and because I had worked with a grinder and welder ,they had to X-ray my yes to make sure that I had no steel lodged in them as I could be blinded if I had and it moved...so no more taking chances with hammers or grinders.
Wow I didn't know that, that sounds crazy! What is the reaction of metal in an MRI?
Apologies omitted to insert a "e" should have read "they had to X-ray my eyes" If you have any magnetic reactive metal in your eyes the magnetic force can move it or drag it out with the result that it could damage the eye permanently terminating ones sight.
Thanks stock, I'll remember that. As I said in another thread...I believe my eyeballs are magnets, as they seem to attract any grinding spark within a football fields length of me.
Yup, what Stock said is correct. I've had my eyes x-rayed several times, before getting an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Resonance_Imaging Another disgust'o is welding slag... melts right in. Wear safety glasses... always!!! OCR