Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Center Of Gravity

BackhoeOwner ยท 2020-04-11 09:41

Does anyone know where the center of gravity is for the average backhoe with unloaded FEL just off the ground and backhoe in transport position? I have not found a whole lot of detail on where the CoG is. Some say it is about at crank level, PTO output, of just above transaxle but that seems more likely for a tractor without a backhoe. My particular machine is a 580K, non e-hoe, 4 in 1 bucket, cab, 4x4. I suspect the CoG must be a little above the floor pan level. All of the chassis and powertrain components seem to be pretty low, but the backhoe assembly is high and must raise it a bit. I'm very cautious about traversing slopes when I can't back up them (or avoid them altogether), and am curious where the CoG is for this machine.

Replies9
  1. #1jimg9842020-04-11 10:37

    can swing backhoe for a counter balance if in a tight spot

  2. #2BackhoeOwner2020-04-11 20:17

    Yeah that makes sense, just curious where the COG might be and or what are generally angles that are dangerous.

  3. #3Ronsii2020-04-11 20:41

    Most of the OP manuals cover the allowable slope driving... I think... seem to remember reading a few now and then.

  4. #4redneckracin2020-04-11 21:25

    Center of gravity isn't really helpful to be honest. It's an idealized point but in a practical application there are far more variables that need to be taken into account than that point. A tires air pressure, a pothole, or the operators inputs have far more impact. If you can't back up them in 4wd it's far to steep to drive across.

  5. #5AzIron2020-04-11 21:56

    The only relative center of gravity that matters is the one in your rear end if it feels scary its probably pushing it and most guys with minimal experience feel a machine is way closer to flipping long before they are close

  6. #6Andy1845c2020-04-11 22:00

    I honestly get really nervous on slopes or ground with a lot of potholes with my backhoe. I am notorious for driving around with the stabilizers an inch off the ground if I think there is even a remote chance of tipping it.

  7. #7BackhoeOwner2020-04-11 22:42

    Absolutely Redneckracin. 100% agreement , especially with big tires that compress, rebound, sidewall deflection, and so on. I was just curious if there is a general location of it on some machines. I haven't seen it in my manual. I've backed up far steeper angles than I would feel is appropriate to go across sideways, but I'm also cautious and conservative.I would imagine that the length of the machine and loader/backhoe attachments are vastly more stable going up a hill than driving across. Aziron, you might be right there, but regardless of experience (or the experience of rolling it), it is something of curiosity. Andy, I am with you there. I am very cautious to not push it but that goes back to my question.

  8. #8AzIron2020-04-11 23:13

    Most machines have a center of gravity a bout even with just under the floor board some will be higher but it varies depending on options and configurations

  9. #9BackhoeOwner2020-04-13 13:46

    Thanks Az. That's kind of what I thought from looking at the major component locations in the machine, maybe a bit higher with the backhoe in transport position.