Hey - I have a Hitachi EX35U that I bought very used. I have worked through some issues, and there are more to come, I'm sure. Right now everything "works" but I am thinking I have some weak tracking issues. My question on the center swivel came to mind after watching a video online of someone changing the seals on a similar machine. The seals were disintegrating within the swivel he took apart, and I am wondering if I should change the seals in mine before they disintegrate? If they do get to the point where they are coming apart, where to the tiny pieces end up? I certainly don't want them going through my drive motors! Or is this something that isn't normally addressed until there is failure? Thanks! CK
The seals will cost you 100 bucks if you suspect it at being a problem just change them it's normally a 1 day job
Are you wanting to fix the weak tracks by re-sealing the swivel? Do you know they're weak or think they are? Usually people run until catastrophic failure but if a guy wants to try and stay ahead he can but he's really only guessing as to what could or will fail next unless it's a known issue for this model/brand.
The weak tracking may have been a red herring…. I don’t necessarily attribute that to the center joint - it could be a number of other things. Like I said, I’m working through the gremlins a little at a time. I’m more concerned that if the center joint fails as bad as the one on the internet did, could it cause even more trouble than it would be to rebuild the center joint proactively. “A stitch in time saves nine“ as Mom used to say. CK
Fair enough point but with equipment it's easy to borrow trouble worrying about what might be. Do you use this machine a lot or hard? I personally wouldn't worry about things fail for all sorts of reasons and issues one guy had are no guarantee another will. Usually there will be signs before failures, random leaks, things not working like you remember. If I were to pick something to fix preemptively it would be old hard hoses first. Change you oils and filters when you should, I'm assuming you did all that this when you first bought the machine so everything was fresh for you, and if seals start to fail you will more than likely see it on the screens before too much happens but there is always a chance.
I don’t use it a lot or very hard at all. Installing water lines and digging out stumps is about all I’ve done so far. It isn’t the tool I use to make a living anyway. You make a valid point about chasing problems that don’t exist. A guy could go broke doing that! I’ll keep up on the maintenance schedule and address issues as they arise. Thanks for being the voice of reason! CK