What do you guys use to keep your ratchet chain binders lubed up? I have been spaying ours with some PB spray or chain lube, I try to keep them out of the rain in the chain box on the trailer, but every now and then they get used in the rain and the ratcheting gear gets a little froze up on them. Just wondering if any of you have found a good lube that keeps them fairly loose for longer then a couple days?
Most Deere dealers carry a product called "Fluid Film" the cans are a little more, but it's a fantastic product, doesn't evaporate, just stays slick. Give that a try.
It's a terrible PITA but turning them back together helps alot. Time-consuming though. If they get used in the rain, they have to be re-lubed.
I've tried PB blaster,chain lube,WD-40,grease, and something by Zep. The best thing I have come up with this a spray bottle filled with diesel. A couple of sprays on each one before you crank them down works wonders.
I keep a can of silicone spray in the binder bin. A quick spray on the ball, wedge pivots and threads every once in awhile seems to work just fine.
I have been using the Fluid Film for a while now and it works great, better than all the other stuff mentioned here. I think it can be purchased directly from the company, just google it.....
Actually, now it looks like there's a whole bunch of places that sell it, Lowes, O'reilly's, Deere, New Holland, and the list goes on. http://www.fluid-film.com/shop/ This stuff isn't just a lube either, it's non-conductive, I use it on trailer plugs, front and back to prevent corrosion. Any type of threads, replace the nozzle with a spray can nozzle that does a arc instead of just a stream and it makes a great rust proofer. HeavyEquipmentForums All three of those threads at some point make a reference to binders.
One of the big selling points about Fluid Film is that it is non-drying, which could be a disadvantage. For chain binders that are going to spend most of their life in a box along with a pile of rusty wet chains I'd prefer a dry film graphite lube.
Thanks for the input guys.
Grainger sells fluid film
Nige mentions what I feel is the best for ratchet binders, which is the dry film graphite spray. It lasts longer than anything else, and one of the big advantages is that it does not attract dirt. In my experience, fluid film works, but attracts dirt and is usually bound up the next time I need it, so it has to be lubed each time.
I use Break away, buy it in the gallon jug and put it in a spray bottle. It seems to last quite awhile, I might buy one jug a year and keep 12 binders on my lowboy, used everyday
I use chain and cable lube, and always close them up when not in use. The lube is somewhat sticky, and keeping them closed preserves the lube, keeping rust out of the threads
You might try the CRC in the green can. I once tested it by spraying a thin coat on some plate steel that was exposed to rain. It rusted everywhere except where I sprayed.