Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chain box removal 763..

MrKomatsu ยท 2012-06-12 16:18

HAS ANYONE CHANGED OUT THE ENTIRE CHAIN BOX? I HAVE A SEVERELY DAMAGED UNIT...AXLE TUBES VERY BAD SHAPE. COST OF CHAIN BOX WITH AXLE TUBES IS CHEAPER THAN THE $$$$ TO REPAIR...:usa

Replies4
  1. #1Bobcatdan2012-06-12 20:34

    Yeah I have done it once. Paper mill sheared an axle right off. Lifted the upper structure off with the hoist. Onec the upper body is off, removed the engine/ hydro combo. The lower frame is bear, no drivetrain at all, has to be swapped over. What is your dammage? I have seen machine shop fix axle ends where the bearings went out. I would think about this first, we are talking thousands of dollars for the bottom frame for a machine worth about $10,000

  2. #2Bobcatdan2012-06-12 20:40

    That surpised me, its only $3500, I though it was way more.

  3. #3MrKomatsu2012-06-20 07:31

    $3,600....i was surprised my self...

  4. #4crewchief8882012-07-02 20:28

    $3600 for a bare chaincase isnt bad..... add in new bearings, seals axle shaft, or hub damage chains, sprockets? motor mounts ? while the engine/ pumps are out.. belts, hoses, leaks ? last one i did took me approx 30 hours we have a couple customers that have replaced multiple chaincases, mainly due to their application, and abusive operators. i made up a stand that bolts to the front upper frame to hold the machine up off the floor, pull the eng/pumps, steering console, and drop the chaincase with a pallet jack. :drinkup