Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chain guide tightener

Old Doug ยท 2021-03-19 22:11

My winch chain needs a way to tighten it and get it away from its frame. I dont have room for a very big idealer but i could build a small one but what about a guide for it to ride on? This seems good because most of the time it will not run more a few seconds at a time.

Replies4
  1. #1old-iron-habit2021-03-19 22:18

    Nylon guides work on motorcycle chains. Easy to try a piece of nylon stock and no fowl if it fails. They normally just wear in until the chain rollers touch and then roll on the nylon.

  2. #2JLarson2021-03-19 22:40

    UHMW plastic, we use it for chain guides on lots of different things.

  3. #3crane operator2021-03-20 09:41

    Its always amazed me how long oil impregnated wood blocks will last. I'd have one of those half moon ones on a bolt and steel plate bracket. Here's poly ones, but I've made them from oak blocks. https://www.maywes.com/product-cate...-chain-tighteners/chain-tighteners-half-moon/

  4. #4Old Doug2021-03-21 20:06

    I didnt want to spend a lot of time on it untill i saw if the sprockets was wright so i end up useing a flat bar i found that had a all most J bent on one end. It worked and i found the sprocket need changed . I will get something.