Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chain hooks on buckets

Rocket ยท 2007-04-27 11:32

OK, I hate bending, denting, scratching anything on my machine and yesterday I bent the step on the bucket by pulling something with a chain. Where am I supposed to hook the chain? So, now I am thinking there should be one or more hooks on the bucket. I'm thinking on the top edge somewhere. Has anyone welded hooks to their bucket? How does it work out? Can the hook be attached without damaging the hook? Any info/pics here would be a great help.

Replies17
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-04-27 12:14

    It's common to weld a grab hook on a bucket. you want to keep your load centered on the bucket to prevent bending or twisting of the boom, so either one center hook or one hook on each side of the top of the bucket is what you need to do. Just be aware that using one center hook can bend the upper edge of your bucket if trying to lift too heavy a load.

  2. #2Wulf2007-04-27 17:31

    Good luck with the hook This old thread had some advice on hooks Rocket...

  3. #3dieselsndirt2007-04-27 22:15

    how about welding two D rings to the top. I have two d rings welded on and they work great. the possiblities are endless. I find that I like them more than a chain hook. a guy could always add one if needed Bryan

  4. #4digger242j2007-04-27 22:43

    Just so we're all on the same page here, since Rocket referred to the step on the bucket having been bent, I'm assuming that he's talking about the bucket on a skid loader. I don't think any skid loader I've ever run has had a hook on the bucket. There may be several reasons for that. First, the skid loaders have always been the lightest machine on the job, and as such there was always something heavier that had the required hook on the bucket. Second, many do have that step, right where you'd like to mount a hook. Third, and probably most importantly, skid loaders are more susceptible to tipping over frontwards than larger equipment types. If you're going to use a bucket mounted hook for lifting anything heavy, chances are you're going to want to carry it some distance. We all know the hazards of carrying the load high, especially in a skid loader. Last, if you're going to be pulling anything, the operator's seat is a little too "up close and personal" to the hook. If the chain lets go, you've already got your face right where it's going to snap back into. That having been said, I've seen some hooks mounted to a piece of heavier steel, say 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick, and that steel welded to the bucket. For a lighter duty bucket, that'll spread the load out enough to minimze bending of the bucket itself. I've also seen some hooks, (say on track loaders with a spill plate already mounted to the top edge of the bucket), that have a hook mounted near the top edge, but inside the bucket. In that application, the hook has been mounted so as to be able to move freely. If it was simply welded to the inside of the bucket, rolling the bucket forward would likely result in whatever rigging was attached to it, simply falling off. Some sort of very sturdy eye, with a clevis through it, and the hook hanging on the clevis, would work there. I'd still be wary of doing too much with a hook mounted on a skidder bucket though...

  5. #5surfer-joe2007-04-28 01:01

    Well said digger! Skid steers are only meant to barely lift with a bucket or a small set of forks. I'd like a buck or two for every one I've seen on it's face with the operator wondering what the...................

  6. #6SinjonAssoc2007-04-28 10:24

    My Bradco forks have a D-ring in the center which I have pulled small loads with. With a high cage above it it offers me a level of protection should the chain snap or slip off. George

  7. #7Countryboy2007-04-29 17:57

    Welcome to HEF SinjonAssoc! :drinkup

  8. #8Squizzy246B2007-04-29 19:09

    Most skids around here have a welded pad eye inside the top of the bucket....you can only lift what the machine can lift. A welded lifting ring is better than using the step tread.....as you found out...they are not designed for it and have a habit of breaking.

  9. #9KeithRA2007-04-29 23:28

    I welded a D ring in center of my bucket just under step inside bucket.Its on a 02 case 90xt i have not had any bending of back of bucket or anything.I have tested it to max.I had a peterbuilt with load stuck up to center of axle it was 54,500 pounds. A skidsteer with tracks will no pull it but if raise bucket and but cutting edge into ground and roll bucket an back up it will pull alot of weight.But i did not like pulling with grade 70 3/8 chain.I thought on machine you should be able to hang that hole machine from all part of machine.

  10. #10cat3002007-06-02 00:43

    on the top lip of the bucket is where our driver chains it when he trainsports it from place to place. so im assuming thats where u should try

  11. #11thejdman042007-06-04 22:28

    I like 2 grab hooks on each side of the bucket and one d ring in the center.

  12. #12jejennings2007-12-29 14:49

    Source for weld on grab hooks?? Anyone know an inexpensive source for weld-on grab hooks and D-rings? My attempts at grinding the back of chain hooks flat and welding them on havebeen less than successful.

  13. #13Countryboy2007-12-30 20:52

    AW Direct ,one of our forum sponsors, might have what you are looking for. They have alot of rigging, chain and other hardware. Their banner, at the top of the page, also links to their site.

  14. #14CascadeScaper2007-12-31 01:05

    I'd also suggest AW Direct, they are great to deal with. I've bought strobes and other various truck parts from them. While they are somewhat focused on the towing industry, they have darn near everything for any transport rig. Great service!

  15. #15DirtHauler2007-12-31 02:50

    I think THIS is what you are after.

  16. #16Countryboy2007-12-31 04:20

    Yup, thats what I had in mind. :drinkup They're pricey but I don't think you're gonna break one.

  17. #17CascadeScaper2007-12-31 15:14

    Yeah that was what I was thinking of, too. Figured he'd find it there on AW Direct.