Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

chain replacement in progress on my Mustang 960, have question…

mustang960 ยท 2010-10-18 11:07

Hi all, bearing failure on the cluster sprocket has me overhauling all the axle and cluster sprocket brearings...would like to replace the chains while Im here but have a question; the mustang specifies a #60HK and #80HK roller chain as primary and secondary respectively... Their "chain assembly" seems quite expensive from the dealer, is this the same spec chain as the ANSI 80 and ANSI 60 heavy duty roller chain? I can get that and cut to length at a fraction of dealer price...

Replies8
  1. #1Z28982010-10-18 13:37

    "HK type roller chains conform to H type of ANSI, and their thickness of inner and outer link plates are equal to those of the next larger size chain. Therefore, HK type roller chains are higher in tensile strength by about 20% and in maximum allowable load by about 15% than those of standard roller chains. Since the weight of the chains is also larger, HK type roller chains are suitable for the application of heavy duty at low speed." This excerpt from the link below. Appears that HK chain is 20% stronger because of thicker inner and outer link plates for comparable sized chain. Is that how you would read it? http://www.did-coltd.com/english/products/pdf/up_60-61.pdf I can't suggest one way or the other. If you use a lighter chain and it piles up you may have bigger issues. On the other hand you may use the cheaper chain and never have an issue. Can you get a sample of the chain that you would buy from a jobber and compare closely to what you currently have? That may help.

  2. #2mustang9602010-10-18 18:09

    Thanks Z, that explains alot, I noted that 1/2 of the existing chain looked thicker...probabilly 1/2 of the secondary chain is the original hk and the other replaced with ANSI..interesting thing is that the HK part is where the failure occured...it's obviously fatiqued.

  3. #3Z28982010-10-19 14:00

    No worries Mustang, enjoy trying to help out. So you think that the chain has been patched before? Sounds like the remaining HK finally let go? Good Luck! Z

  4. #4ottergarage2010-10-20 12:42

    I just read your post. I have my 960 apart for the same reasons, bearing failure due to water in the case. I have replaced all the bearings and was going to replace the chain as well until I called Mustang. $300 for the 80HK chain. A little steep. Just wondering if you plan to use the 80H chain? Thanks Guys!

  5. #5mustang9602015-05-04 20:38

    I did use the 80H chain I purchased from a local vendor. The new chain failed 3 years later, I'm just now replacing it...wish I would have bought the HK....note to everyone else...only use the 80HK...and beware of the cheap overseas inferior steel.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-05-04 20:57

    Back when, there was a certain brand of rotary saw tree feller head, that was chain drive. The mechanics that knew always specified "Tsubaki chain, NO substitutes!" Many owners tried cheaper brands, none held up as good as the original Tsubaki brand. YMMV Bobcat always had one certain brand they used also, can't recall anymore though.....

  7. #7mustang9602015-05-05 20:12

    Over 1000.00 to change both primary and secondary 80HK and 60HK Roller chain from dealer. Anyone know of vendors for HK chain (not H series, but HK). Any other skid steers use this heavy of chain in 80 or 60 sizes?

  8. #8Greenstreet2015-05-05 21:16

    Try Grainger. They have stuff that is not in the catalog. Your local guy may be able to refer you to a corporate chain guru.