Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chaining down Excavator Properly

gabelmatt ยท 2009-11-30 21:06

Hey Guys, I live in Ontario and I have 5 tonn mini excavator and I was wondering if anyone else in Ontario has one and what is the proper way of chaining it down. I just have a tandom trailer that i pull behind my pick-up.Any input would be great. Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1adv.wastewater2009-11-30 22:46

    You have the excavator I want! I am waiting until next spring to buy mine though. I have a 7,500 lb machine now. Anyways, I run a chain over the blade and under the arms that connect the blade to the machine than back over the blade to my trailer. (kind of worded confusing) than on the oposite end of the machine of the blade my machine has a chaining eye that I run a chain through. Not sure if the 305 has that. If not you can lay your boom down and put a chain over your bucket. You want to endup with a chain holding the machine from going forward, and a chain holding the machine from coming back. And when the chains are tight obviously they will prevent the machine from going sideways. How do you like your machine so far? What size bucket are you using and what do you mainly use it for?

  2. #2heavylift2009-12-01 15:30

    it should have labels on it... green with a hook... most of the time when it moved around on big plant jobs... it's one chain across the blade... But DOT likes enough chains and boomers that it outweighs the load your hauling..

  3. #3gabelmatt2009-12-01 17:24

    I love the new machine.Just got it back yesturday from Cat, they were putting my new hyd. pin grabber on it.I have a 62" ditching bucket,24" tooth a 16" tooth and a 48" hyd tilt bucket for it. Mainly I use it for utility trenching. The odd drive way, I have a post hole auger for it too so I get the odd job for it too.

  4. #4insleyboy2009-12-01 19:57

    Mdot requires a chain (seperate chain mind you) on each corner of a machine. Plus one on each implament. So on a mini that is 6. The 4 corners, with a seperate binder. Then one on the blade and one on the bucket. I got a 300 dollar ticket few years ago for only 4 chains on a case 580 backhoe. Each US State has different interpretations, so you may want to check Ontario law gabelmatt.

  5. #5-NICK-2009-12-01 23:22

    Well not quite a excavator but Ive been chaining down like this for a while now.Keep hearing a about chp dot not wanting or allowing chains on tracks and I have got enough tickets in the last few years for stuff that I had to fight.So this seems to be the way to make everybody happy.

  6. #6-NICK-2009-12-01 23:29

    Well not quite a excavator but Ive been chaining down like this for a while now.Keep hearing a about chp dot not wanting or allowing chains on tracks and I have got enough tickets in the last few years for stuff that I had to fight.So this seems to be the way to make everybody happy.

  7. #7dporter2010-01-15 23:43

    In Ontario the laws state under 10,000 lbs only 2 chains are required. however an additional chain is required for every 10 feet in excess of 10 feet. Also a separate chain is required for every attachment. One chain to rear, one on front and the bucket must be placed on the deck and be chained separately.

  8. #8Vantage_TeS2010-01-18 15:06

    Well that's sort of silly, the load of the chain is still applied to the track chaining like that. If the hook could bend or rip a pad off then so could the side pressure on that chain! But as we all know trying to tell THEM that is about the same as this: :Banghead

  9. #9Corona Kid2010-01-21 16:11

    I got checked by the Boys at the NB 15 Cajon scales with a Volvo EC460 on the 7 , 2 15k Binders on each corner (to the track pads) 1 across the stick . "looks Good, Have a Nice Day"

  10. #10-NICK-2010-01-25 22:03

    Its just too bad they all can't agree on what makes them happy.:beatsme

  11. #11Corona Kid2010-01-25 22:19

    Yeah...Different Scale=Different Rules :Banghead

  12. #12norite2010-08-20 12:50

    I have seen lots of big excavators cross chained front and rear from the pads down to the deck, wouldn't work too well for a rubber tracked mini-x though. I like the way Nick does it, seems to be superior to depending on the pad bolts which have had their heads skidded over rock etc, or even the pad itself which may have a crack in it and is ready to break off.

  13. #13bigbob2010-08-29 19:49

    I have 3 excavators, a 311 CU, 307, and just bough a 305C CR. I quizzed the cat salesman on how to chain down the 305. Cat has a sticker on the front of the machine explaining how to do it. It is not in compliance with the DOT's rules, I have been pulled over 7 times concerning chaining equipment down. The last time I laid into the officer verbally, have not been pulled over since. Getting back to the 305. Cat recommends chaining to the ends of the blade and to the hole in the center frame. This does not meet DOT standards since you are chaining to an implement. You cannot chain to a rubber track and I also disagree about chaining to a steel track pad. It is not what I consider the Frame. BTW, I asked the cat salesman to find out about how to chain down the 305 so it meets DOT standards. He still has not gotten back to me!

  14. #14cummins052010-08-30 00:12

    I would imagine the Cat salesman does not want the liability of telling you how to chain down your load to DOT standards. What I did was took a picture of my truck with two skid steer loader's and one small mini ex on the trailer. Took that to the weigh scale and asked them to write out how by the book how to secure every machine bucket sweeper shovel and broom on the unit. To my surprise they did might work for you. I also saved myself a ticket turns out the spread on the unit was to close and I had to rent a longer trailer to run into BC

  15. #15SONIC2010-11-11 14:36

    chaining down heavy machinery do you have any other photos of chaining down an excavator

  16. #16Deeretime2010-12-05 01:31

    Phone your local scale and they will provide you with a sheet showing how and where they want stuff tied down. Here are some things that I have learned in alberta All chains and straps must have a load rating of 25% or more of the machine or unit you are tieing down. if not you have to add more tie downs. Chains and boomers must have a load rating Tag at all times if it is 500lbs or over 4m long it requires 2 straps if the machine articulates each end must be cross chained on 4 corrners + any G.E.T's (buckets rippers blades) The only exception is if it is equiped with a manual articulation lock if your machine is 5 T or less the boom doesnt need to be tied down Cannot carry attachments in the machines bucket or the box of a gravel truck This one is retarded I spent 10hrs at a scale in edmonton for this ! old style snap boomers must have a manual lock to hold them closed... if not you get stuck like me so dont be cheap buy rachet boomers

  17. #17SONIC2010-12-05 09:22

    i just like tos ee some photos do you know where i can get some so how to ?

  18. #18Deeretime2010-12-12 01:13

    yup I took some of these a while ago to put into our manual. (weather you guys agree or not it is my company's interpretation of our transport specks!)

  19. #19Deeretime2010-12-12 01:24
  20. #20GCC2011-03-19 20:56

    I have a 6 ton bobcat 337 and i always put one 3/8 chain through the towing loop in the middle of your undercarriage and 2 up front one on each side of the blade then one to hold down the bucket to the deck ive been though many of scales in all over ontario and never had a problem the main thing they care about is your chains are good for half your load weight. Best way for to figure out how to tie it down just look in your manual it will have a diagram how to tie it down and mto can suck it if you tie it down like that.