I'm looking to run chains this winter but my machine appears to have serious clearance issues. According to the owner's manual this model came with either 14.9 or 16.9x24 rear tires. Mine's got the 16.9 and looking between the inside of the tire and the frame there is about one inch between the outrigger pivot pins and the tire (specifically the lugs). It's so close that with a new tire I'd be surprised if they didn't rub. I want to put chains on it for the winter. Does anyone have any tips or specific chains that they have experience with that will work? Thanks guys!
On skid loaders they use a wheel spacer to move the tire out away from the frames, would that help?
I have thought about spacers but have read that they can put undue stress on the axles.
Maybe i'm missing something but I cannot see where a spacer 2" think would add any real amount of stress to an axle. I do know that when they are used with over the tire tracks on skid loaders they snap axles, but that's caused by a rock getting inside the track, and the tire pulling it, tightening the track and snapping the axle. The problem lies with the tracks not with the spacer. But anyhow, I assume you already looked at turning your rims around? That may give you the clearance you need.
I've got to try that to see if that will help.
2 inches isn't going to do much. On my model loader backhoe (JD), the factory hub spacers are 2.16" I priced them out from the JD dealership and they wanted almost 300.00 each. I think I am going to take an impression of the hub and get a machine shop to turn a pair for me.
I had a pair made from billet aluminum. They were less than 100.00 each. I emailed the measurements to the shop. They fit perfectly when I got them. I had to discard the lug bolts and replace them with studs. It did take some time on the internet to find the correct length studs with the correct threads. Here is where I bought the spacers. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html