Hello everyone, My 310A hydraulic pump seems to provide good flow and pressure, but is leaking bad out the shaft seal. Is this easily replaceable or do I need a complete rebuild kit for $550?
Apparently the 310A+B had the JD radial pump? I thought the 310's had gear pumps, guess just the newer ones? If the cost is the concern, pull the pump apart before you buy the parts. Who knows what you need? Could be just a seal, or you could end up looking for a different used pump. If it doesn't have crazy high hours or contaminated oil, you should be fine with just replacing the seals. You will have to remove the piston-spring-caps to get it apart and back together. Is the $550 just the seals from JD? I didn't think there was a more complete kit, but I paid ~$100 for the seals for a slightly newer but similar kit. I also bought a few shims to tighten up the slop in the roller bearings. When I had mine out the best thing I did was replace the front oil seal on the engine, it wasn't even seeping as bad as the hydraulic pump, but when I got it out the spring had worn through the rubber and was wearing on the sealing surface, which was actually the hub for the pulley, fortunately. I used a speedisleeve and new seal, and now I can do an inframe if it needs it in another 20 years and not have to pull the engine. Don't forget to replace the rubber "isolator" crinkled disk that drives the pump (or whatever rubber is in your pump drive?)
very easy job when the pump is out on the table,bought my seal from the dealer,it,s a very heavy duty looking seal ,and pressed it right in,nothing to it.
Sbarrett, did you have a 310A? Reason I ask is because mine was a 610c which has a similar pump design, but the seals are clearly different. On mine, the pump had to be split and the shaft removed to replace the seals. Is that the case or are these different?
yes mine is a 310a,1982 model
Your replies indicate more research is needed. When I was talking to the dealer about a repair kit, they told me the 310A's had two pumps. I think mine is the earlier one but I don't know what that means in terms of the possible difference between what sbarrett and Delmer wrote.
you may be right in saying there are 2 different pumps,but if you go to the john deere parts catalog online,you will only see one parts breakdown,for individual pieces.my pump was exactly like the picture showed,with the seal being number seven in the schematic
Your dealer may by taking something simple and making it complicated, if I were to guess his line of reasoning, it does have two pumps, the charge pump (inside the transmission) and the main hydraulic pump. Pretty easy to make that distinction when talking to a customer. Here's the diagram for a 310A/B main hyd pump. As noted by sbarrett, seal is item #7.
JDparts.com shows an early pump up to sn 383155 that has no serial plate, but it has the same seal part #, could be the same "overhaul kit" just a few unused pieces for one or another. One difference is the early pump lacks seal #22. Cabalerro, if yours doesn't have a serial plate like the picture above does, then it doesn't have the 22 seal, so if you can replace the 7 seal without removing the shaft, then you might not need to take it apart. That seal may have worn a groove in the shaft that you want to address, but you might even be able to sleeve it without pulling it apart. The "overhaul kit" listed is just seals and orings, it doesn't include any valve or piston parts (not sure if that's what they want $550 for?). I have no idea if you can get the 6+7 ring and seal out without removing the shaft, but that's what sbarrett is saying. I know you won't get #22 out!
Can't tell you guy how much I appreciate this info. The dear wasn't that helpful, and nothing against the dealer but a person can't know everything about everything. I'll let you know what I finally find out so maybe it will help someone else down the road if they search the archives.
Yeah, my wife's not worth a darn as a mechanic either, but I did find that the guys at the local farm JD dealer could find what parts I needed in five minutes, and the industrial dealer couldn't find the broad side of a barn. Being JD, the engine seal, shims for the pump etc are all in stock and cheap, the kit was ordered.
Very easy seal to replace. Drill 2 small holes on either side of the shaft, thread a couple of sheet metal screws into the holes and pry out the seal. Be careful not to drill any deeper than you need to. Then use a deep socket ( I use an impact, a little thicker on the face) to carefully drive the new seal back in.
I disconnected the plastic line that drains the cavity between the oil seal and the outside dust seal. It was flowing like an oil return line. This can't be right??? The inner seal must be shot. What do you guys think...should the drain line flow or only seep? My second question is related to pump models. I believe mine is the earlier serial number. Will the pump from a later serial number tractor hookup or are the lines connected differently? It maybe be easier to find a later pump.
Preface: I don't know your pump, mine is slightly different. If you have the earlier serial number (with no tag), then I don't think there is any inner oil seal, just an oring, shim, seal and the snap ring on the outside. The later model pump (and mine) have the #22 seal in Willie's diagram. Is there any play in the shaft? If not, I'd replace the parts you can get to, and let it go another 30 years. You said it was performing fine, just leaking.
I'm am going to try exactly that. Thanks for all the input. Very helpful. Scott
One quick thing to try on JD radial pumps if they are working fine but just leaking around input seal is to add bearing shims between bearing and front cover. The roller bearings wear get a little loose and the shaft starts walking around in the seal causing leakage. I have done this on JD farm tractors with great success. My 310A has the 8 piston radial pump. A few farm tractors of that frame had gear pumps and open center systems but I don't think they were common.