Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

chains vs straps

BAD5oh ยท 2010-07-29 12:29

A guy I work with wants to use rachet straps to tie down our skid steers (773, S205, S150) I always use chains and 3 rachet binders when I tow them. I know the straps are rated for I believe 10k but I just feel much safer using chains and binders. Are the straps safe to use to tie them down? I always see everyone using chains and figure there must be a reason for it even if straps are rated high enough to use. Just curious as to why? I myself am not considering anything but chains. Just curious

Replies23
  1. #1245dlc2010-07-29 13:00

    I believe the law states that for moving heavy mobile equipment you have to use chains. I tried strapping down a bobcat bucket last year but the boss said, use a chain otherwise DOT might find an excuse to give you a ticket even if it is safe and tight. By the way I love using ratchet binders too, I always find them way easier to use and if they start getting rusty and seizing up bring a can of WD-40.

  2. #2Orchard Ex2010-07-29 18:17

    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=090163348002395e I didn't see anything that prohibits using straps if they are strong enough. If it's under 10k lbs there are multiple acceptable methods for securing.

  3. #395zIV2010-07-29 18:49

    As long as the straps don't rub against anything sharp I see no reason why you can't use them. Really? You still use WD-40?

  4. #4Tiny2010-07-29 19:53

    Either will work,But the chains will last a lot longer.One sharp spot and the Strap is " out of Service " Hauling equipment , I will use chains

  5. #5powerjoke2010-07-31 17:25

    a 10k strap only has a working load of ~3k ?? I've been pulled over by the MO DOT with straps on and NO CHAINS on a D5 one time and a 939C a couple of times they didnt have a problem with that. I just had about 8 straps on it Pj

  6. #6brushmaster902011-07-15 23:33

    I personally use chains for my equitment. Chains are a little more expensive short term but they last longer. I also feel much safer witch chains the ratchet straps. I do think ratchet straps can be easier to work with sometimes thoe.

  7. #7big ben2011-08-06 07:34

    if the straps get any slack the machine will move and the motion with snap them.

  8. #8Sparkie2011-08-06 22:23

    My dad uses chains and rachet binders, he hauls mostly tractors, combines, and sprayers. Whenever we haul our wrangler around at work we use chains and snap binders. And I use a chain snap binder and a come along when I haul my enduro car. I've always trusted chain more than straps.

  9. #9Macneil2011-08-06 23:06

    When I was floating I used chains 95% of the time unless it was a load of wood or something along those lines. For moving cars I'd usually use chain and straps depending on where I could hook up to them. I have more trust in chain, but it can also get in bad shape pretty quickly if used incorrectly.

  10. #10Greasypin2011-08-07 15:58

    i like the ease of chains and binders

  11. #11Haulier2011-08-09 11:48

    I've always used chains and I'm not thinking in changing to straps.

  12. #12Huntoon2012-03-14 22:33

    I hauled a a pair of 5,000 lbs of tracks from Long beach to Tulare, CA. I used 4 heavy duty straps (4 inches wide) and by the time I arrived they were pretty ragged from rubbing on the steel. Nothing sharp per se, but some of the angles caused the straps to begin to fray. Next time I will use very thick straps or chain.

  13. #13tireman2012-03-16 20:05

    :iagreeReally! That stuff is worthless.PB Blaster for me,thank you very much!Best I've ever seen,and I tried many,many different kinds in my day.Wouldn't give a nickel for 5 gallons of WD40.

  14. #14td25c2012-03-16 20:59

    I use chain to tie down equipment.Straps come in handy for securing cargo and I like them for hauling vehicals like a car or pickup on the lowboy.As for strap protection I like these poly corner guards.We were unloading some precast concrete on a job site with the crane last year and all the truckdrivers used them,funny thing was after we unloaded the truck the driver would roll up all his straps then yell over at me "Hey you want these plasic corner protectors".I said "sure I'l use them ". They do a good job ,I keep a set on the crane and on the lowboy.They dident have any name or logo on them but I found them at www.awdirect.com/liftall-corner-guards-corner-guard-10p/cargo-straps/

  15. #15TheOldMan2012-03-17 08:29

    If you like PB Blaster, You'll love AeroKroil

  16. #16JDOFMEMI2012-03-17 17:38

    You can buy those edge protectors at just about any truck stop. They are nearly indespensable for flatbed loads.

  17. #17Greenedriver32012-03-22 21:21

    I recently was fired for disagreeing with my superintendent. The disagreement was about chaining down a piece of equipment that weighed over 10k. I wanted to use four separate chains and binders; and then use a chain and binder for for the attachment. I was told that I could not do that, and that I needed to use one chain on the front and one of the back, but use two binders for each chain. I was told to take one chain and attach it to the trailer, run it through both d's on the equipment and to the other side of the trailer. Finally, taking the two binders and attaching them to the chain on either side of the equipment. What are your thoughts on this? Hopefullly my explanation is clear as mud too.

  18. #18Huntoon2012-03-22 22:06

    From: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules "Securement of heavy vehicles, equipment ormachinery with crawler tracks or wheels. In addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, heavy equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction using a minimum of four tiedowns ." "Each of the tiedowns must be affixed as close as practicable to the front and rear of the vehicle, or mounting points on the vehicle that have been specifically designed for that purpose. " I think you were correct.

  19. #19alaskaforby42012-03-23 21:07

    This is true

  20. #20Dozerboy2012-03-23 21:58

    No there are other factors to consider here though. The way he was told to do it was fine other then not having a chain on the attachment assuming that the weight rating of the chain/binder was high enough. The second binder on the one chain was a wast though. You need to have 4 points not 4 separate tie downs. Which he would of had going from one side of the trailer to the machine to the other side of the trailer.

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2012-03-24 02:04

    Dozerboy is right. 4 points. How many chains depends on the rating of the chains and the weight of the load. Another point is that it sounds like a lack of understanding of what was being asked. I have had the same battle with a former hard headed driver before. The reason for 1 chain with 2 binders is to leave the slack in the middle between tie downs, and wrap the chain around the tie down point, using one binder on each leg to basically make it function like 2 chains. That said though it is not enough to fire someone over. I suspect that was just the straw that broke the camels back.

  22. #22Huntoon2012-03-24 14:56

    Ahh, good point, Dozerboy.

  23. #23tireman2012-03-24 15:41

    This is not the first time I've heard this,but have never seen this AeroKroil anywhere to test for myself.If it's better than PB Blaster,it'll remove not only the rust but the rusted nut,too!:IMO