Hey Guys, I've got a customer interested in purchasing two of our 637D scrapers: http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Cat-637D-S...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa1250900 I'm looking into quotes to get them moved for him but the best quotes I've gotten so far nearly double the price of the tractor. I'm looking at about $25,000 each! Does this seem right? Any advice or offers would be appreciated! Thanks!
The company I work for just bought an almost new 824 in Cali and it cost 10,000 to ship it to Wisconsin. Maybe that will help. 25,000 does seem like a lot.
Did you check Uship?
sounds like a good price to me, east of the rockies permits get expensive. we've hauled machines for triple the price they sold for!
I got a 613C moved from Florida to California for $9,000 last year. I know this one is a bit bigger but come on! Checking Uship now. Thanks for the reply's guys!
prenn1984 , I just checked out your site. Looks like you've got some experience with these! Nice pics.
. Click on the link and fill in the blanks and it will give you a rough estimate of what others have hauled for. Listing the shipment is free and let them do the bidding. You only pay if you accept someone bid. If the bids are two high don't accept any and it costs you nothing. http://www.uship.com/price_estimator.aspx?v=0&z1=92506&z2=44308&w=150000&c=391&s=391 .
That's awesome. Thanks!
How much does the scraper actually weigh? I think it could be anywhere from 105,000# to 115,000#. Regardless you need a jeep/trailer/stinger trailer combination for CA & OH. Being in CA you need a "west coast" trailer. And with that weight and going through the worst state of MO I think they give you 42,000# per tandem. That is pushing it on 9 axles (2+2+2 w/ tandem truck) so you may need 10 axles to do it (2+3+2 w/ tandem truck). That being said a 2+3+2 will be over 110' overall length so an escort needed all the way. With all of that being said I would say the charge rate will be around $13 per mile. If it is say 2,400 miles that would be a price of $31,000.
The route I would take to Ohio would be the southern route. Skip Mo, Il,and Ind. Your ht will probably exceed 14'6" and in Ind a bucket truck would be required as well as police for the ht and weight. Stay south thru NM , Texas, Ark, maybe the corner of Mo into Tn , then Ky and Ohio. If your ht is a bit much for the corner of Mo, cross the river at Memphis, then north to Ky (as long as you're under 15'6" High, and then into Ohio. Also, depending on where you are going in Ohio will govern where Ohio will let you enter. I think that the $25K you have, and the $31K Jim mentioned is low. But that's just me. If you get it moved for either of the above prices the truck would have to be located in Ca to start with. There's no money there to deadhead in after it. Another avenue might be to split the machine and haul it in 2 loads. Of course you'll have to weigh the cost of labor on both ends against the savings of using smaller equipment. Probably could put the tractor on a 6 axle trk/trl--beam trailer, and the bowl on a 6 axle lowboy.
Thanks for all the info guys. Unfortunately, the customer has already decided against the deal since freight expenses doubled the machine price.