Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

chainsaw thread

STEVEGODSEYJR · 2010-11-26 21:32

Come on guys lets start a new thread with any pictures of the saws that were used to fall these monster trees!:usa Steve

Replies132
  1. #1fyrwood guy2010-11-27 17:02

    ok, here i am in my younger years trying out a factory proto-type 3120 husqvarna.

  2. #2BDFT2010-11-29 21:44

    I've never been to NH but I bet there aren't too many trees like that there. That looks like west coast wood.

  3. #3fyrwood guy2010-11-30 09:57

    that it is,good eye. springfield,or. to be exact :notworthy

  4. #4fast_st2010-12-01 14:56

    Was at an antique engine show a few months back and an exhibitor had a car trailer, log down the middle with just about every odd kind of saw you might ever have seen. I'd love to be back in time and help those guys felling the monsters with hand axes.

  5. #5tom trees2010-12-01 15:39

    nic pic old saw

  6. #6fast_st2010-12-01 16:28

    I should snaggle a picture, my pop has at least one 'Wright reciprocating saw' sort of a giant antique sawzall with a blade that eats my jeans anytime I brush past it.

  7. #7SE-Ia Cowman2010-12-30 22:15

    Not a real good picture of the saw but I was the one running it and I cant take pictures while sawing. This was a cotton wood the hoe bucket in the picture is a 48'' and my saw bar is a 36'' and I had to cut from both sides to get through it.

  8. #8Wolfcsm2010-12-31 02:04

    From an Arboristsite.com get together in Dec 2009. Stihl 880 with 47 inch bar. Lots of good chain saw info at: http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 Hal

  9. #9stumpjumper832010-12-31 08:04

    It probably took several weeks to get one tree down, limed and ready to skid. Cutting off springboards and such. My great grandfathers helped cut some of the virgin hemlock and white pine off the slopes in potter co, pa, and from the stories past down I think im glad that Stihl decided to make an 880. Cut a couple 2' ers and get in touch, if your serious I think I could find you a 4' white pine or hemlock to chop on.

  10. #10John C.2010-12-31 13:18

    I saw these at a logging museum down on the Columbia river way east of Vancouver, WA.

  11. #11BDFT2010-12-31 19:56

    The oldtimers used a crosscut saw to make one cut of the undercut and then chopped it out, then they used the crosscut for the back cut. After they got it on the ground they still had to buck it up into pieces they could yard. All with a crosscut and an axe.

  12. #12RonG2011-01-01 05:05

    Growing up on the farm we cut all of our wood with a buck saw and an axe.We burned firewood so that was a lot of cutting.We never had a chainsaw or any other kind of engine either.Ron G

  13. #13Wolfcsm2011-01-01 07:18

    Some good pictures: Hal

  14. #14sandnsnow2011-01-01 11:38

    Around my property, you can still see the hugh stumps that have the notches cut in them from the spring boards. Some are almost rotted to nothing but still pretty neat. Some are 60" or better at the base.

  15. #15JTL2011-01-02 10:47

    I didnt get the chance to cut these monsters, but that is my old saw. 371 Husky with 32" bar. Sold it to a buddy last summer and he sent me the pics via cell phone.

  16. #16akroadrunner2011-03-27 00:17

    Don't need big saws where I live now, but I've got them anyway. Just sold a McCulloch 125 Super Pro. Still sitting on a Stihl 090, 076, 075, 056 Mag 2 (brand new BTW) an 051 that looks and runs like new. a Homelite 1130 G Super gear drive, and a Homelite 922 Bow saw, Stihl S 10, 041 Super, MS 440, 034, 026 (the little guy I pack on the 4 wheeler) 3 McCulloch Super Pro 850's, McCulloch 450, an old Mac 35. Sure I missed a few.

  17. #17Wolfcsm2011-03-28 08:44

    Had a great day Saturday with 20 other chain saw enthusiasts, up in Northeast Oklahoma. Had my 880, several 660/066 saws, lots and lots of other makes and models for all to see and try. HAL

  18. #18fast_st2011-03-28 11:02

    Managed to score a demonstrator saw, Husky 395XP, guessing it had run a carbide bullet chain, seller guessed maybe 1 tank of gas, inside was squeaky clean. 80% off retail, swings a 34 inch bar and skip tooth chain. Good tool for the big jobs but the 136/268/272 get the most use.

  19. #19fyrwood guy2011-03-28 20:37

    you did good, take care of the 395 they are gettin' EXPENSIVE......you got a nice line up.

  20. #20fast_st2011-03-29 10:20

    Thanks, they all run good, the 136 starts hard but I'm thinking it *feels* like the ignition module might be getting weak, but its a cheap part.

  21. #21akroadrunner2011-03-30 01:18

    I'm just gonna toss this out there. Saw somewhere a fellow was asking how old a cedar was. When I logged on the Quinault, we got a lot of our scale in windfalls. One setting overlooking the ocean was over 50% windfall. Hard yarding. Lots of broken chokers. Lots of bucking to do on the landing. Most of the windfalls didn't get touched by the cutters. I took time one day at lunch to count some tree rings. Some of the windfalls would come in with a stump of a green tree growing around them. The green tree was over 1300 years old. The windfall it was wrapped around was almost 1000 and much of the outer part had deteriated away.. Figure in the time it took for the forest floor to build up enough for the 'new' tree to start growing. I guessed that the first one had started growing 3000 or so years earlier. Used a LOT of dynamite, blasting choker holes under the windfalls buried in the dirt all those years. Sometimes a case or more a day. Anywhere from 2 or 3 sticks at a time to a dozen. Stumping powder. No formal training. Dad sat me down on a bucket on the landing with a case of powder, fuse, and caps. He showed me how to poke a hole through a stick and then another part way through at an angle. The fuse went through the hole so the cap wouldn't be pulled out of the second hole. He crimped the cap onto the fuse with his teeth. No kidding. I used pliers most of the time. We needed powder one day, and since they were out of stumping powder, they brought us some rock powder. 90% stuff I think. Told me to just use part of a stick. I tried blowing a few choker holes with that stuff, and just blew the logs to pieces. Gave up and jammed a hole the old fashioned way using a curved limb. Not as much fun.

  22. #22Vigilant2011-03-30 15:04

    Mmmmmmmmm..... dynamite. I had a few lessons in blasting at Vail, from the old Powder Monkey. He crimped his caps with pliers, but there are those who like to go for the gusto. They used a lot of fertilizer at Vail, Ammonium Nitrate, I believe. Mix it with some diesel fuel to the right consistency, set it off with a cap, and it's good, cheap explosive. Just ask McVeigh. They got a little carried away with the powder on one pit I saw shot. Made the nicest, finest gravel one could ask for, but they blew about half of it miles away. I can still see that pit on satellite photos. First saw I owned was an old 5-30N Homelite, an ex-Weyco saw. I bought from my dad's Cutting Crew Supervisor, Mr. Ford Bentley, from Enumclaw. He left White River to take the promotion at Vail. Top notch gentleman, and he knew his way around in the woods. I paid a whopping five dollars for it. Could have had a Stihl 090G for $25.00 with a 60" bar. I wish now I had bought the 090. A year later, I bought a used 040 from Weyco Vail, for $65.00. I ran that saw for about 8 years cutting firewood, and it was finally so shook apart, after bumerous Heli Coils, that I gave up and bought a brand new 041 farm Boss. Paid for it in a couple days cutting firewood. After that, it's kind of a blur. I have owned mostly Stihl, and had at least one each of 026, 028, 038, 041, 044, 046, 051, 064, 066, MS440, Homelite Super XL POS, Homelite 5-30N, Homelite 925. I may have missed a couple. I also ran 070s in the woods, and 08Ss topping trees. Had a couple 372XPs as well. I love the way a 372XP sounds, including the idle. It's just not a Stihl. Currently I have two 041s, an MS440, and a 925 Homie project saw that needs a new home. Sorry for any typos. Busy day.

  23. #23Jlillie22011-03-30 15:33

    I have a big blue homelite from my great grandfather (actually have the warranty card for it too.) And a Jonsered 5150, plus a couple of electrics for trail trimming, a battery powered Ryobi that looks like a kids toy, and a 1/2 hp AC powered Craftsman. I put a generator in the back of the truck and off we go, its a lot lighter than doing over head limbs with a gas job, and no vibration.

  24. #24akroadrunner2011-03-31 11:45

    I picked up this old McCulloch last summer in Cooper Landing. It had been used on a chainsaw mill and then put away. Sat for many years. Couldn't get it to fire up. I gave $150 for it. Worked on the recoil and poured the gas to it. Everything was gummed up. I dumped gas right into the cylinder and carb. She finally roared to life. Ran a tank of gas through her out bucking wood in my log pile. Ran like a champ. Sure did some smoking at first. Sold it to a young fellow who has a love for old saw, and big saws. He got a good one, and left with a smile. Picked up a 125 Super in a second hand store in Kenai for $125. Had that one going the same day. Sold it on craigslist to a fellow that was going to put a longer bar on and put it back to work. I like it when those big saws are still eating wood.

  25. #25Vigilant2011-03-31 12:43

    The 125s are pretty sought after these days. I would love to find one at the right price. I've seen a few right-hand crank mcCullochs, but never tried to fight with one. Not sure how that would work out for me, but for a leftie, it would be pure bliss. For those who don't know about it, there is a wealth of chain saw info in the chain saw section of arboristsite.com.

  26. #26STEVEGODSEYJR2011-03-31 20:34

    akroadrunner, what model of saw is that? It is in super nice shape. I would love to find one in that shape!!!!!!!!!!! Steve G

  27. #27akroadrunner2011-03-31 21:29

    Steve, that was a 740. Man, was it a clean saw. Sure ran nice after I put some new gas through it. I have a 450, an old Mac 35, a 650 and 3 Super Pro 850's. The 850's I used to run on the landing for my Dad. Usually had a 36" or 42" bar on the. 85cc's Very high revving saws. I had a hankering for Stihls, but my Dad could make short work on getting the McCullochs ready for a days work. It was like he waved his calloused hands over them, blessed them, and they were ready for another day in the woods. I took ribbons at the Logger Playdays running chains that he hand filed. He always had me use a chain that was close to half wore out. Claimed the spun faster. Just before St helens exploded, he had me in the yarder for a month or so, while he tended to other things. we had a couple different guys chasing on the landing. When he got back in the seat of our Skagit, and put me back on the landing. I would normally back on the landing, I had a little surprise. I drove crummie every day. Well I pulled up to the landing and went to unload saws. Always kept 2 on the landing and one in the truck. Whoa, there's 6 saws back there. I grabbed the 2 I would normally use and 5 gallons of saw gas, a jug of bar oil and my lunch. Dad had the engine fired and the crew was grabbing a turn just below the landing. By the time I got the truck parked in the turnout, and hustled back to the landing, Dad was dropping a turn. I unbelled 3 chokers and grabbed a saw to buck a broken end. Whoops, something wrong with the saw. I ran back to the base of the tower and grabbed the other. No go. This one was screwed up too. I took the one in the worst shape and ran for the truck to swap it for one of the 3 there. I couldn't find a saw out of the 6 that was ready to go. Chain jammed in the end of the roller. Broken recoil. Fouled plug. Bent bar. Anyway, I got one of them going soon enough, and for a good part of the day, I worked on saws. I didn't want to hand Dad 5 or 6 broken saws at the end of the day, plus you can't have just 1 working saw. Someone may need to cut me out of a jam! I had 3 working properly at the end of the day, 1 needed minor work, another needed a lot of parts and work, the last one was completely boned out! I used to mark my saws. Started by scratching my nickname on one next to the recoil rope. "SMOKE" Brand new saw and I carved it up. Dad was mad at first, but I told him I wanted everyone else to keep their hands off that one. The next saw, I scratched 'smoke' on it again. Someone said I couldn't claim them all, so I made the first one say 'smoke 1'. Soon every saw said 'Smoke' and a number. Made it nice when I could give Dad a list of which saw needed what. Now my brothers and I all have these saws leftover from the 'old' days, with my nickname scratched in them. I might let on in another thread how I got the nickname. It was given to me by our all Indian crew on the Quinault Indian Reservation in 1973. Lond story to give you the model number on that nice looking McCulloch, Huh? Sorry!

  28. #28akroadrunner2011-04-05 19:04

    Went down to the shop today to pull the studded tires off the F250. Put the summer mud boggers on. Nice day out, so grabbed the 056 Mag 2 and sawed a load of wood. This is only the second time that saw has cut wood since it was new about 1992. I bought it off Ebay last year. I was the one who got to burn the paint off the muffler. It MELTED through the wood. Funny what 94 cc's and a super sharp chain can do.

  29. #29Vigilant2011-04-05 21:03

    I still love that darn thing called an 066. Probably my favorite saw of all time. Unfortunately, I'm not in the shape I used to be in, and an 066 will tire me out a lot sooner than an 044. I ran an 056 just a little bit years ago, and I was impressed. That saw definitely changed the course of chain saw technology, for the better.

  30. #30tom trees2011-04-06 02:46

    the 056 is a heavy saw i still have one the 660 is ok but the best min side saw is the 064

  31. #31akroadrunner2011-04-27 23:52

    Here is a pic of my current Stihl saws. Have 10 of them right now. They come and go, although the 041, I have had since 1982. Worn it out and rebuilt it. I'm looking for chain brake parts for it now, so I can keep it in the 'working' line up. Prefer to run saws with a chain brake these days. Took the MS 440 Magnum out today and cut 2 loads of spruce firewood. We have in this pic, an 026, 034, 041, S-10, ms440 mag, 051, 056 Magnum 2, 075, 076, and the mother of all saws, the 090. All run great and pretty much everything works with the exception of a couple of kill switches. I also have 5 McCullochs, 85 cc's and larger, 2 Homelites one of which is the 100cc 1130G with a 4 foot bar and half inch pitch chain. I will be adding a 2100 Husky soon with a 42" bar. Only has 4 hours run time on it. What will I cut with that around here? In the past 12 months, I've sold 8 Stihls including an 090 and 076, 5 Huskys, and 1 McCulloch 125.

  32. #32Vigilant2011-04-29 22:23

    ^^^^ Looks like somebody is making entirely too much money. I am now ashamed to even think about posting my little fleet. I would have to say, out of all the saws I have owned and operated, I like the 066 the best. It just takes a little too much out of me to operate one in these golden years. The 064 is a really nice compromise in that regard, and I now wish I had never sold the one I had. I have two 041s at present, among others, and cranking one of them up sure does bring back memories.

  33. #33akroadrunner2011-04-29 23:55

    I do make a small profit when I buy an old saw, fix it up, and resell it. Mostly just like the big saws, and old saws. When I was a young kid, we lived in a too small of a house. Dad kept his chain saws in our bedroom. We had to push them under the bed so as to not trip over them. I will occasionally use the BIG ones to buck up some firewood, if I am working in a cold deck. Once you get them started, and the chain is sharp, the cutting part is easy. Just keep them tuned up. And, Oh Yeah, you can never really have too many. I am gearing up for a small clearing job. I will bring the 034. MS 440 Mag, and the 056 Mag 2. There will be tools, and an extra bar and chain in the truck. Each saw will have it's own job. I remember days when I limped through till quitting time with the only saw still running, on it's last leg. Not a good feeling. Especially when it's 75 miles back to the shop. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you. Someone may need your saw to cut a log off of you! Seen it happen!

  34. #34akroadrunner2011-04-30 00:08

    Never start down off the landing to cut something for the rigging crew, without making sure the saw is full of gas and oil. Bring your bar wrench and a file. That's what those pockets in the leg of your rigging jeans are for. If you let the pull rope get a little ragged, you will find out at the back of the show. When you finish the job, and shut her down, set the kill switch back to 'run'. All you need to do when you need her again, is a short stroke of the rope. No fumbling around. If you can't tell if it needs gas when you pick it up, you need more time on the handle bar. An empty saw just feels light.

  35. #35Vigilant2011-04-30 11:41

    I truly wish I still lived in an area where big, older saws are plentiful, and can be bought at a good price. I do the same thing now and then, but not nearly as often. Not as many opportunities.

  36. #36akroadrunner2011-04-30 12:42

    You know Vigilant, the big saws are where you find them. Sure the PNW is loaded up with monster saws that were used in the Old Growth and shake cutting, but try finding one that isn't beat to hell. They are out there, but more beaters than not. Big saws are not needed here, so that may be one reason why I am able to find a nice one now and then. I'm willing to bet that plenty of folks headed North thinking they would need a big saw in Alaska. In S.E. sure, but not around here, so they sat in the shed. Now if I can just find a young fellow, (or fellowette) that can knot up a bicep like a grape fruit, to help me get those monsters fired up for the first time after they have sat in someone's shed for twenty years....... Once I've got them back to life, it aint so bad to get 'em going. UUUHHHHHHG. Help, I think I've ruptured myself. If I was back where you are, (well now I just wouldn't be, but if I was) I would be looking for even OLDER stuff. Bet you could locate some old 2 man stuff there in some one's musty old shed. Post on Craigslist that you are looking for BIG, OLD saws. Let us know what happens. In the meantime, I need a dudette to help with my saws. She should look like this.

  37. #37Vigilant2011-04-30 16:02

    If I met a dudette with that kind of brawn, I would have to mend my ways and become a gentleman, or a reasonable facsimile. Of course, it does seem as though I start becoming nicer when Winter is coming on.... I need to watch Craigslist more than I do, you're right. A gyppo logger gave my Dad a 2-man Mc Culloch in near mint condition years ago. I bugged him to death to help me crank it up, but it never happened. He finally got tired of looking at it, and gave it to a rummage sale. When they finally got the bugs worked out of the 050, and called it an 051, the 090Gs at Vail saw very little use. They finally broomed a lot of 'em. I could have had one with a 60" bar for $25.00 in nice shape. Hindsight's 20/20. I still say, the nicest LOOKING production saw back them, IMHO, was the Homelite 870.

  38. #38akroadrunner2011-05-11 23:47

    WEEEELLLL. Found another BIG one today. A Partner P-100 Super. This is the same saw as the McCulloch 1000. Production started in 1982 in Sweeden. 100 cc's. Has a 36" bar and .404 chain. Have not started it yet, but it has a ton of compression. I plan to put the compression tester on it tomorrow and check for spark. Now if I can just get 'Gretchen' to give me a hand on the business end of the recoil rope...... Better eat my Wheaties tomorrow morning, just in case she is unavailable. I will post up a pic soon. I am loading the camera up with some stuff to post. Stole a pic of a very nice Bucyrus Erie (sp) cable shovel yesterday. Only got one pic since it was behind a locked gate and I didn't have permission. I plan to go back and find the owner to see if I can crawl around it. Model 30 Series 3. Very Nice.

  39. #39Vigilant2011-05-12 01:30

    30B is a nice size machine. Probably runs off a 4-71, I would guess. Nice score on the saw, looking forward to the pics. I am in the process of loading my camera with everything this area has to offer: mosquitoes, redbugs, ticks, and water moccasins.

  40. #40akroadrunner2011-05-12 01:47

    Yes, it has a Detroit in it. I saw that much. Will be starting a road job in the area. When I can get enough pics to make a decent post, I will put them up. It has a very cool dipper stick and bucket on it. I took some pics of the Partner tonight, and will post them later. Tomorrow I MAKE it run.

  41. #41akroadrunner2011-05-12 13:28

    Eh, Heh, Heh, Heh. I love it when a plan falls together. Gretchen not needed. Spark? Affirmative, bright blue. Compression 145. Switches, choke all working? Affirmative. Pour gas in plug hole and carb. Replace spark plug. Knot up muscle like grape fruit and pull several times. Spits and sputters. So does the saw. Repeat. Same. Repeat again. Same. Dump old gas from tank. (dispose of properly, hahaha) Prime carb again. Grit teeth and yank on cord some more. Saw fires up. Revs up some, then roars to life. Cleans up, then runs like a raped ape. Cut a few blocks of wood. Chips flying. 'Smoke' smiling. Saw seemed happy to be working again. Back in house now, clothes and hands smell like 2 stroke, wood chips, and bar oil. It's usually much harder to get these big saws going after sitting so long. Often involves pulled muscles, swearing, and perhaps even a broken recoil rope. Not today.

  42. #42Vigilant2011-05-12 16:49

    I have this vision of some guy named Smoke looking down at his saw sitting there quietly on the ground after he finally satisfies himself and cuts it off, lighting a cig, and saying, "Was it good for you?"

  43. #43akroadrunner2011-05-12 17:42

    Vigilant. The only one who wouldn't be satisfied in this deal, is the fellow who sold me such a nice saw, so cheap. He didn't even know if it ran. Haha!!! Course his arms were so skinny (not like our friend Gretchen) that he did not want to attempt to crank a 100 cc saw with no compression release. He would have been embarrassed. Never mind the likely hood of rupturing himself. Dad told me anytime you see someone holding a saw close and revving her up, but not cutting anything, they're having fun and not working. Especially in the pre anti vibe days. Sure, it was good! BTW, the seller is the one who set the low price. I had no choice but to take it home. At least I have the good sense to wrestle the monster back to life with no one looking. My dog was the only witness, and she is used to seeing me with my eyes bugged out, red face, and sweating like a pig while struggling with a big saw.

  44. #44Vigilant2011-05-12 19:16

    10-4. Over and out.

  45. #45BDFT2011-05-12 21:44

    I should relate this story. Back in the early 80's when the 064 first came out I worked with a faller that went out and bought one. The early 064's had a bad habit of sucking the carb full of fine snow and freezing up. Stihl solved the problem the next year or so but Wayne went out and bought one of the first one's he could get his hands on. He showed up Monday morning, proud as Hell of his new, light 064. Better in every way from his old 056. He slogged through the snowbank and down the hill to the first tree and fired up his saw. It ran until the carb sucked full of snow and then quit, about halfway through his first cut. He floundered up through the snow, back to his pickup and thawed out his saw, fired it up, and back down the bank he went. The saw ran for a minute or two and froze up again. Back up the hill to his pickup. Thawed out the saw, fired it up and down into the snow again. This went on a few more times until he calmly climbed back up to his truck, took his falling ax and chopped his brand new saw into a million pieces. All the while screaming obscenities at the gods, Stihl and anyone else he could think of. He then unlimbered his old beat up 056, waded into the snow and went to work. The 056, of course, never gave a minutes trouble. There was literally nothing left on that 064 that was useable. Wayne fell with 056's after that until the day he died.

  46. #46Wolfcsm2011-05-13 02:31

    http://www.techno-industrial.com/sureshot/sureshot.html You might find the SURESHOT a good option for helping start stubborn saws. Saw one work at a get together in Northern Oklahoma in March. Bought one for myself soon after. Hal

  47. #47akroadrunner2011-05-13 02:40

    I have no idea what a SURESHOT is. What I do know is that many people have ruined 2 strokes attempting to start them using starter fluid. No lubrication. Often thought I should just hook a drill motor up on the flywheel side. Starting the Partner wasn't really difficult, but some saws can be a real challenge. Especially if the fuel has gummed up the fuel lines and carb.

  48. #48Wolfcsm2011-05-13 06:01

    Might try looking at the link. It is a can that mix can be put in, then pressurized with air. When sprayed, it puts out a spray of fuel and air under pressure. Worked well at starting my rather stubborn MS880. Hal

  49. #49Vigilant2011-05-13 08:39

    All my saws are so big, they start with a pony motor.

  50. #50akroadrunner2011-05-13 12:14

    Sorry there Wolfcsm, I didn't spot the link the first time I looked at your post. Thanks for putting that up. I sent them an email. Got a generator that the fuel went bad in. Thinking I might be able to get it running, using one of the sureshots without having to rebuild the carb. Should have used some fuel stabilizer in it. Fuel doesn't go bad as fast here as in other places, since our weather is cooler, but I think I'm going to use the stabilizer more often. And Vigilant, I've seen saws started with a 'pony motor' at the Logger Playdays. You don't want the extra weight of a starter motor if you're running an aluminum small block V8 on your saw. The saw was carried by 2 guys and set in front of the log. It was fired up while sitting there, and then the studly operator stood over it, picked it up, fire walled the throttle, and dropped it through the log. Took something like 2.5 seconds to saw through a log that I cut in 30 seconds with a standard production saw.

  51. #51old timer2011-05-13 16:32

    I run a 372XP with a 24" bar, and a 575XP with a 24" bar. Just put a new carb on the 575, ethanol ate the original. People say bad things about the 575, but this one has given me 5 years and many loads of wood. Prefer it all day over the 372. Keeps your arms in shape limbing with it. Will be buying a 576XP CARBED soon. No need of a larger saw here, just keep the chain sharp.

  52. #52akroadrunner2011-05-13 20:50

    Oldtimer, I think the 75cc saws are probably just about the ideal size for most cutting jobs. I wore out my 61 cc Stihl 041 and rebuilt it. Still use it a lot. 28" bar. Now I am using a Stihl MS 440 Mag for most jobs. I think it is 71 or 2 cc. I was actually shopping for a75 cc, 046/MS460 when I came across the 440. It was like new and had the wrap bar, large falling dogs, and a brand new 28" bar and chain. I run the 28" bar on almost everything, but I do have a 25" on the 034 and a 36" on my 056 Mag II. Those are the saws I use. I occasionally use an 026, but just for taking out on my wheeler/atv. If you've seen my posts, you know I have plenty of extra large saws with long bars. Mostly just for fun. Got a guy coming by this weekend to take one of the big ones to run a mill. Supposedly have another fellow coming down from the valley next week for my 075. Hate to see them go, but I'll find others. Have 18 saws right now. Runners. All ready to go, with bars and chains. Have a few parts saws too. If I was to look for another Husky, it would be one of the models you have. Just passed up a 2100 that only had 4 hours of use on it. 2 bars, owners manual, and tools. He wanted $575. It was a good deal, but I wouldn't have been able to resell it and make much on it. Likely would have had to sit on it awhile, or ship it to the PNW.

  53. #53Vigilant2011-05-13 21:56

    I have two 041s at present, one in near mint condition. Been through two 372XPs, and liked 'em. I'll stick with my MS440.

  54. #54akroadrunner2011-05-14 02:03

    Sharpen the chains, fill them with fuel, and fire those mothers up. Let's make some sawdust. Well really, if you got them sharpened correctly, LET'S MAKE SOME WOOD CHIPS!!! Oh, and hey Vigilant, let's see some pics of your wood cutters. I'm really kind of expecting to see a big wide grin on some studly looking fellow, with the wood chips flying. Please don't disappoint me. Pretty sure you don't need Gretchen to start your saw for you.

  55. #55Vigilant2011-05-14 12:15

    I'm 6'4, but my brawn is transitioning to something else at my age. Years ago, I was built like a freight train. Now, I can hold my own, but I don't work out any more, and have a bit of a gut. I need to fix dat. Gotta at least keep up the image. I have never seen a need for a compression release on anything up to an 066, but the old 051s, 070s, 090s, etc. really needed some help. I have cut a lot of wood with an 041, and that sound brings back memories. Even so, while it's nice to make a few cuts with an oldie, I prefer my MS440 for actual work. Best saw I have ever owned. Back in the day at Vail, they came across a 14 foot diameter Sitka spruce that had to go to the mill. They cut the tip off of one 16" roller nose bar, and the tail off another, welded both bars together end to end, and wrapped a bunch of chain around it to fall that monster. Used an 090G. Loaded it with the tower on to off-highway trucks, and away it went. I didn't see the tree, but I sure wish my dad had taken some pics.

  56. #56Vigilant2011-05-14 12:19

    That was a typo above. I'm actually only 5'4, but I'm really big in the middle.

  57. #57akroadrunner2011-05-14 12:54

    I'm the smallest of my family at 6' 2", but probably wouldn't measure that now. Used to be able to look my old man right in the eye, but he shrunk now that he is 85. I'm shrinking to, except the middle. Largest trees we took out were 17' at the butt. Ran into some big cedars on the coast. Did just what you said and loaded many of them with one end lifted by the butt rigging, and the other by the shovel. Back the truck under. Some we split with dynamite. The big firs around St. Helens, we never split. Loved working with Steve Miller and Don Crick when we were falling those bad boys, and jacking them over with the 'timber tippers'. They ran Husqvarna 2100's in winter and if I remember correctly they used monster Homelites in summer. 2 reasons. Different wood, and the Husky's had a muffler on the front. Couldn't use them during fire season. I've got to do a demo today for one of the buyers of my milling saws. They are ready to roar to life and get into the wood. Got them set up with ripping chains, setting just inside the door of the garage. Gassed up and patiently waiting for the steam whistle at the mill.

  58. #58fyrwood guy2011-05-14 15:12

    good to read....i knew there was someone out there telling the truth! where about's you located?

  59. #59mitch5042011-05-14 15:54

    Most everybody around here uses husqvarnas, I use 2 575xp's, and a 365. Before that we used Homelites. Vigilant, if you look around up there in the great white North (Carolina), I bet you can find a few Homelite SuperWhiz 66s. They are everywhere down here, and a friend of mine has either a SuperWhiz 77 or 88, I can't remember which, that runs beautifully. Agri-industrial Supply in Tabor City NC has an old 2-man saw on display when you first walk in the door. If you get down that way, they are a great place for hyd hoses and any other supplies, btw.

  60. #60akroadrunner2011-05-14 17:47

    Well, I demo'd the 076 today, and it is SOLD, SOLD, SOLD. Now if I can just sell the 090 and 051. Got a guy coming for the 075 this week. Better try to move that P100 Super Partner next.

  61. #61Vigilant2011-05-14 19:41

    Ya definitely have that lumberjack look aboutcha, mate. I never got into bikes. Something about road rash that did not seem to fit in with my idea of fun. But I love a Harley, both the look and the sound, as long as someone else is making the noise. I would keep that 090. I humped an 070 in the woods for a few years, and still have a soft spot in my heart for the 070s/090s. I was a crazy man with a chain saw. Got bit once, by an 070 with a bow blade. Just a nick, but it was sobering. I worked without a shirt about 9 months out of the year. I even got used to a butt crack full of sawdust. Ate ticks and redbugs for breakfast, and blew enough saw exhaust into the bushes ahead of me that snakes were seldom a problem. Stopped at a store after work each day in the crew truck (our name for a crummy) and bought a tall sixpack of Buds for the trip home. Got cleaned up, hit the bars, shot pool, chased bimbos, fought (never went to jail, believe it or not, because I didn't give the cops any crap), went in to work on about 3 hours of sleep, and did it again. I never could figure out how I always ran out of money half way through the week. But some how, by the grace of God, I found my way. Finally. When I look back, I shake my head and wonder.... As for Homelites, I appreciate the thought, but the only person I know around here who even thinks they can fix old Homies is not someone I care to deal with, and I don't have the time to learn. I have a beautiful 925 with no spark that is collecting dust because of this.

  62. #62BDFT2011-05-14 23:25

    Sounds like you would have fit right in with me and the boys in northern BC when we were in our prime, Vigilant.

  63. #63Vigilant2011-05-15 00:03

    I take that as quite a compliment. Thanks.

  64. #64akroadrunner2011-05-15 00:34

    Glad I didn't run into Vigilant when he was on a tear. But we all had our wild side, huh? One thing I refused to never do AGAIN was go out logging while still snockered. A little hung over? Maybe. Got tired of making my boots smaller while bumping knots, and ruining good rigging pants (or my leg) with the chainsaw. Now friday or saturday night. Well, wasn't saturday night for fighting? There were many times after a weekend brawl that I wondered when the day was coming that I was going to be the one waking up missing some teeth or body parts. So far that day is still in the future, but I'm not out looking for trouble anymore either. There was the time I spent 8 days in St. Johns Hospital after a very short fist fight in Vader, Wa. Funny thing is, I was the winner. The loser was another logger, and his life was never the same. Did I mention it was a very short fight? And no weapons involved.

  65. #65Vigilant2011-05-15 00:37

    Look! Haley's Comet! BIP!

  66. #66Vigilant2011-05-15 00:40

    Or, Here, pick two. DOINK!

  67. #67Wolfcsm2011-05-15 03:23

    Always looking for big saws. Tell me a little about them. Hal

  68. #68akroadrunner2011-05-15 12:34

    They all run great. The 090 needs a kill switch, and the wrap bar has been 'modified' so a replacement would be a nice touch. The 051 looks almost brand new. Runs like it too. The 075 is almost as nice at the 051. I have a Homelite 1130G with w 4' bar and 1/2" pitch chain. I't listed with pics on chainsawcollectorscorner. Also have a cpmpletely stock, nice running S10 Stihl. Oh, and I have a Homelite bow saw. A 922 Super or 926 something like that. Don't tell Vigilant, but the Partner 100 Super I bought the other day now has weak spark. Tried to fire it up yesterday and couldn't get it to go. I'll have to check it out. Something changed.:Banghead Had bright blue spark a couple days ago and ran great. I have an 056 Mag II that I bought last year that had never been run. Was virtually brand new. I got to burn the paint off the muffler. I've cut a couple cord of wood with it. It's not for sale. Everything else is.

  69. #69oregon96pd2011-05-15 14:18

    ive got a 064 sittin in the shed right now. kinda beat up, ran good two years ago needs muffler replaced, some covers are a little rough. its actually two saws made into one by a saw shop in willamina. i dont use it anymore and it just sits. is it worth anything to anyone?

  70. #70Vigilant2011-05-15 17:55

    I had an 064 in mint condition, and sold it like an idiot. Wish I had kept it.

  71. #71old timer2011-05-15 18:11

    About 20 miles south of you, Effingham.

  72. #72fyrwood guy2011-05-15 20:10

    you should come see me when your ready for a new one!

  73. #73oregon96pd2011-05-15 20:43

    o64 if anyones interested shoot me an offer...a little work it could be a great saw, ran great when it went into the shed

  74. #74akroadrunner2011-05-15 21:18

    Found a used truck for FYRWOOD GUY to make his deliveries in. Also rode into the Bike Blessing today. Grand Daughter rode with me. Didn't want her pic taken, so I had to be fast.

  75. #75Vigilant2011-05-15 21:27

    The Bike Blessing. I already like it. It even almost sounds Catholic.

  76. #76akroadrunner2011-05-15 21:36

    Notice how I tossed that Partner in there since this is a chainsaw thread. The Grand Daughter ran a personal best in the 100 Finals at Regions yesterday. Took 5th in 2 final events, plus her 4X100 relay team took 3rd. Won't know for a day or 2, whether she is headed for State this weekend. She is a Freshman!!!

  77. #77Vigilant2011-05-15 22:34

    Congrats to the lass. And to her lucky Grandpappy.

  78. #78Wolfcsm2011-05-16 01:59

    Could not find your saws on Chain Saw Collectors Corner - only a $25,000 collection. Hal

  79. #79akroadrunner2011-05-16 02:13

    You've got to check the classifieds. But I'll toss in a pic of the 1130G for you here. I'm the second owner. It hasn't been used all that much. I have had it here in Alaska since 1982, and don't have a use for it here. I bought it in 1978 in Vader, Wa.

  80. #80Wolfcsm2011-05-16 06:19

    Great looking 1130G! Have one in Texas - a project, but only a small fix to get it up and running. I may not be looking in the right place. This is the site I am looking at: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d8d083a8d741e3db88256c9b00780d89?OpenDocument Do not see a classifieds page. Sorry, Hal

  81. #81akroadrunner2011-05-16 10:54

    Hal, you need to click on the 'forums' section. Then scroll down through the headings. You'll find members saws for sale/wanted. Marketplace is where Mike is showing, and trying to sell his personal collection. It's a cool site for anyone who likes chainsaws. And who doesn't like chainsaws anyway. Maybe some un-American whimps. Fire them babies up and let's make some blue smoke and wood chips.

  82. #82old timer2011-05-16 13:24

    Got a McCulloch Super 44A in the shed, my dad bought it new in 1959 or 1960.. Just exactly like this one in this Youtube Video. McCulloch super 44 A chainsaw

  83. #83Wolfcsm2011-05-17 02:03

    I thought it might be Magnus' site. Can't look at it from here. Will spend some time on it in the evening. Thanks, Hal

  84. #84akroadrunner2011-05-17 16:59

    If you want a laugh, look at the chain on my 1130 G. I was in a hurry putting saws up for sale, and got the chain on backwards. maybe I can just run it in reverse since it is a gear drive. Now If I can just locate the stick shift.

  85. #85Vigilant2011-05-17 17:19

    That 1130G is still a lot nicer than my first saw, a 5-30N Homelite. Even with the chain turned backwards. Looks like something you would see at Home Depot.

  86. #86jrtraderny2011-05-17 18:26

    Can't get the link to work....................

  87. #87akroadrunner2011-05-27 12:19

    Fell 20 Cottonwoods yesterday. Used the MS440 Magnum for most of them. Had to buck them into 15 foot lengths to haul out. A few were large enough that I had to break out the 056 Magnum II with the 36" bar.

  88. #88Vigilant2011-05-27 21:42

    Looks like Mister Smoke had himself a lovely day. Life's simple pleasures truly are the best. And a REAL tin hat. With that tin hat and that outfit, you almost look like a real logger.

  89. #89Vigilant2011-05-27 21:45

    Is there even any market for cottonwood?

  90. #90gologit2011-05-27 22:01

    Good pictures. What was the reason for a conventional face and not a Humboldt? Just curious.

  91. #91akroadrunner2011-05-27 22:38

    No market here for the cottonwood. Some people like the bark for craft projects. A few will burn it in the stove, although most prefer birch and spruce. I make firewood out of it to mix with the spruce and birch. Cottonwood doesn't burn as hot, but sometimes I don't need a hot fire. The wood ducks sure choose the mature cottonwoods for their nests.

  92. #92old timer2011-05-31 19:44

    Just a guess here.....but I think he has testicles.

  93. #93akroadrunner2011-12-25 16:13

    I recently bought 2 Husqvarna chainsaws. A 372XP with a 28" bar, and almost like new. Used for one job. Also picked up a 575XP yesterday at a pawn shop. 32" bar, and also looks nearly new. I looked up the specs on these saws. Looks like they are both currently being produced. The displacement is only 1 1/2 cc's difference, and the other specs look identical, other than weight. Can anyone tell me why one would be preferred over the other? Thanks. Make some sawdust, boys.

  94. #94fast_st2011-12-25 17:54

    So the first digit is optional and is ususally the series, the last two or three digits is the displacement in cc's Both are great saws and will use the same bar being a HU mount, The XP models are the professional series saws. Both are fairly current, On you SN, the first block is the year (two digits) the next two are the week. Remaining digits are the production number.

  95. #95fyrwood guy2011-12-26 11:17

    i've been selling husqvarna chain saws since '79 and been running them since '74. it's my pleasure to report that the first run of 575's had issue's , they have been corrected now and they run good! the differences i've heard from my customers is weight..the 575 being heavier than 372. as far as which one is better-the jury is still out on that one. you should post what you think about those two,for all to read!.....i'm certainly interested in what YOU think

  96. #96old timer2011-12-28 15:52

    The 575 has more torque. It will keep cutting when the 372 bogs down. The anti-vibe is 5x better as well. My helper ran over my 575 with the skidder, so I bought a new 357XP as a temporary stopgap saw. UN-real how badass this little saw is. It's 9/10ths the saw the 372 is and way lighter and way better on fuel. 14,500 RPMs!

  97. #97fyrwood guy2011-12-29 23:36

    thanks for the info oldtimer,and sorry to read 'bout your 575.i sell a few every year 'cause them skidders get 'em......hard for me to believe how few old ones don't get run over and how many new ones "get the treatment". i'm currently runnin' 2 357's one with heated handels 24" skip chain and one regular handel 20" standard chain. plenty of what you need in a saw for around here, aint it !

  98. #980752012-01-04 14:41

    Interesting falling cuts on the butt!!

  99. #99fast_st2012-02-14 07:19

    Interesting kevlar chaps

  100. #100akroadrunner2012-02-15 11:46

    I ran the 372XP a week ago. It screamed through the wood. I haven't run the 575XP yet, other than just firing it up. I am looking to get a full wrap handle for it. I have quite a few saws in this displacement range, mostly Stihls. Been using the MS460 for most of my firewood cutting.

  101. #101akroadrunner2012-02-17 01:57

    Hahaha. Picked up a near new Husqvarna 3120 today. It's an older one with the screw on filter cover. Hardly used. It's gonna rape some logs. Also did a little work to a Stihl 050 I bought a few weeks ago. Yup, runs like a top. Oh, and I got a Stihl 041 Super. Had to do a little work to it too, but it is a nice saw. Looks good sitting next to the 041 Farm Boss I bought new in '82. So I have 30 saws. Mostly big ones. Long bars, big displacement. One of the recent ones is a 770G Homelite with a huge bow bar on it. It runs. This might be my oldest saw, although I have a McCulloch that is probably about the same vintage. Everything else is late 60's and newer.

  102. #102Old tractor2014-04-17 14:34

    Go cavalry. You ant **** unless your cav :usa

  103. #103Old tractor2014-04-17 14:37

    . Go cav I was in for 7 years as a 19d

  104. #104Wolfcsm2014-04-17 15:34

    Great to see another soldier here. 24 years 11E/19E/00Z Hal

  105. #105Queenslander2014-04-18 07:51

    Do you guys ever cut fence posts like this over there? Millions are cut this way in Aus every year, nearly always from hardwood. It has even become a competitive sport in some areas,these blokes are racing in a state final. Cheers, Greg http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0KcjOMgr8

  106. #106fast_st2014-04-18 08:14

    think they'd have some kind of machine for that by now...

  107. #107Queenslander2014-04-18 18:16

    Yeah, chainsaw is still the most efficient, time wise. Usually a one man job,they can be cut at the stump or the billets taken to a central dump, laid out in a row and split, making recovery with forks easier. Some have tried portable mills, but setup, loading and recovery can be time consuming. Billets vary in diameter and are rarely perfectly straight, no problem for a chainsaw. Others use wheeled buzz saws,driven with anything from a 2 cyl B&S to a 4cyl Subaru motor. If you know how to set up and operate one of these beasts, they are easier on the back, can produce a nicer product but aren't much quicker. This is the only one I've been able to find on the web, saws used for post splitting aren't as cumbersome as this. Cheers, Greg http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50051.0

  108. #108Vigilant2014-04-21 20:52

    This obviously did not take place in North Carolina. Around here, ya gotta show some buttcrack to compete in a chainsaw contest.

  109. #109Jumbo2014-04-24 17:15

    What sort of wood are they working with? It appears to be nice wood and straight grained also. My experiences with fence posts requires 30 blocks of red cedar 9' in length and about 3' diameter, four wedges a 12 pound hammer and a father wanting to know why I wasn’t getting more done. I found out that at 11 years old a 10-pound hammer worked better for me…..

  110. #110Queenslander2014-04-25 06:20

    That would be Ironbark, a very durable hardwood. Often, the wire rusts out before the posts rot away. Old timers used to split this with just wedges, hard enough now splitting with chainsaws. Red Cedar is far to valuable to use as fence posts in these parts nowadays, usually reserved for furniture and the like. Cheers, Greg

  111. #111Jim D2014-04-26 12:53

    Greg, the video is very impressive! It's nice to know that people are doing something good with real logs, over here so much of the industry is harvesting toothpicks and gluing the splinters and chips into 'boards'...

  112. #112Hallback2014-04-27 21:23

    I just finished a job with three that were over 72" on the stump and dozens 48" and larger. All fell with a modified 660 and 32" bar.

  113. #113wilko2014-04-28 17:22

    What mill is buying that size log?

  114. #114Vigilant2014-04-29 17:48

    Good question. I thought Weyco's Mill B in Everett was the last sawmill that could handle the tacklebusters in those parts, and they have been closed for a good 25 years or so now. I'm wondering if you would have to quarter something that big in this day and age. Gone are the good old days.

  115. #115John C.2014-04-29 19:30

    Last I knew of was Raymond and I thought I heard they took out the double cut seven or eight years ago.

  116. #116boardbysled2014-04-29 21:53

    Lots of mills buy big wood still, Buse, Stimson Clastskanie, and Hull-Oakes just to name a few, plus the exporters as well.

  117. #117Hallback2014-05-05 16:03

    ^^This^^ PLS will also take a 21"+ log. Columbia Vista got the nice oversize and Stimson got the 3 mill oversize. Butteville & Caffall bros got the cedar.

  118. #118ncnswlogger2014-06-08 03:02

    Dad tried to sell red cedar but nobody wants it. Not many full time craftsman left. It is a nice timber but a but soft.

  119. #119ncnswlogger2014-06-08 05:41

    Australian red cedar is different to western red cedar so i better mention that.

  120. #120Plebeian2014-10-05 05:31

    New saw time - I do not need the Stihl 661 so for Stihl my choice is between the 441 CM? or 461. Electronics vs a more conservative configuration. I am not totally brand loyal so if Husky or Makita (dolmar with a different colour) or any other make a saw that is reliable, rugged easy to service I will consider suggestions.

  121. #121Plebeian2017-09-11 06:34

    Is your intended purchase for Typhoon clean up work or more regular work? Ask a tool hire place to see if there are any electric chainsaws to hire to try out if they right for you before you purchase one. http://rentatoolhk.com/

  122. #122Dlc2cg52017-12-25 11:07

    Does anyone have a repair manual for a Stihl 044 that I could download? I can’t seem to find one on the net. Thanks!

  123. #123Junkyard2017-12-25 11:23

    I have a book that pretty well covers all brands, what info are you needing? I can see what's in there for that model.

  124. #124Bumpsteer2017-12-25 11:38

    Stihl is very protective of their copyrighted information. Someone that posts manuals will be asked to remove them. Ed

  125. #125Hallback2017-12-25 12:24

    Are you building the 044 on YB?

  126. #126Dlc2cg52017-12-26 11:47

    [email protected]

  127. #127Dlc2cg52017-12-26 11:54

    No I’m not.

  128. #128Tinkerer2018-05-01 08:42

    Here is a link to another website with a link to the 044 service manual ------> Apparently you have to copy and paste the link into your web title bar. gardentractortalk.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=171924

  129. #129Ashley522018-11-22 08:39

    Here is the link just check it out: https://gardenley.com/

  130. #130guest2019-01-18 20:13

    Cold front headed to SE Texas time to cut firewood

  131. #131John C.2019-01-18 21:35

    Wow, I haven't seen a bow saw since I worked for Weyerhaeuser in 1972.

  132. #132ianjoub2019-01-19 09:19

    Mine just turned 20 years old, 1999 model Husqvarna 55. The ex gf is older than that now.