Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many yards of wood chips?

jjoyce1985 ยท 2010-11-16 15:34

Does anyone know how many cubic yards of wood chips are in an acer? Just a rule of thumb would help

Replies5
  1. #1digger242j2010-11-16 16:39

    I moved your question here, to a thread of its own, in Forestry Operations. Hopefully somebody can help you out, and welcome to HEF.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2010-11-16 17:34

    Find your local forester. State forest service here will come and do an evaluation of your property. My dad got a spreadsheet of wood types and an estimate of Mbf of lumber from each. I would think they can figure tons of chips also.

  3. #3jjoyce19852010-11-16 19:10

    In GA we new there was an avrage of 400 cy of chips per acer for heavly wooded. I'm in Pa now and trying to figure out a lite acreage job for grinding. I apreacte the help.

  4. #4Randy882010-12-12 02:50

    I'd think they are about the same also try the forestry forum they might have people who can help you better there.

  5. #5Routt Co Logger2010-12-28 07:03

    Chip price I saw on-line were someone was looking to purchase chips in OR, delivered, for $30/ton. For that little amount of money, would I assume correctly that these are green chips with a very short haul?