Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chamberlain tractor/loader? pics

BoomRider ยท 2007-12-09 02:58

G'day all, Just this weekend on a trip down south, passing through a town called Donnybrook I spotted this tractor. I don't know a great deal about this bit of gear.:beatsme Is anyone familiar with it? It's got "Chamberlain" on the back. It seems like an old bit of iron. Can anyone tell me more?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies13
  1. #1BoomRider2007-12-09 03:02

    Here's one more image:

  2. #2Deas Plant2007-12-09 09:01

    Chamberlain loaders. Hi, Boomrider. I can't give you exact dates, years, etc., but Chamberlain did make 'backta-front' rear end loaders like the one in your photos for quite a few years. They were based on the very popular Chamberlain Champion tractor. The first ones were 'stick-shift' but they later went to a forward-reverse lever with a torque converter. Chamberlain also made a 4wd articulated loader for a short while, the Chamberlain 2000. I'd reckon these would be in the same category as hen's teeth and rocking horse manure now - 'existentially challenged'. There were also several different versions, makes and models of mobile cranes based on the Champion and even an elevating scraper with a Champion as the prime mover. A company called Conquip made several after-market attachments for them, including front end loaders and backhoes. There were probably as many if not more front end loaders than there were of the rear end loaders. A modified Chamberlain Champion, named Tail-end Charlie and capable of 50 mph, also went around Australia 1 1/2 times with the Round Australia Redex Trials as a recovery unit and recently also did a find-raiser run for cancer research. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pm6k2ql2iQ I would like to add that Chamberlain had a very good name in the agricultural tractor and machinery market for quite a number of years until John Deere bought them out and allowed the name and the product line to die, NOT to the betterment of the local tractor and machinery market.

  3. #3BoomRider2007-12-10 06:54

    Cheers Deas Plant! Thanks for the info. I reckon I'd have to install an air ride seat before roading for any distance! I'm young, I guess I've been spoilt by all the cushy gear!

  4. #4Deas Plant2007-12-10 09:15

    Air ride seat?????? What's THAT???????????? Hi, Boomrider. Sounds like your version of 'operating' and mine are about as comparable as a 747-400 pilot's version of flying and a Tiger moth pilot's version. They ARE both flying, BUT .......................................... Have you ever run a 3T D7 or a 2U D8 or even a 46A D8 or 66A D9, any or all with open operator platform and NO ROPS.. Take it from me, you won't REALLY know what operating a dozer is until you have run at least one of the first two or another make of similar vintage. Or try doing both clean-up work and heavy digging with a Scoopmobile loader. Or run a LeTourneau cable scraper behind a 3T Cat D7 or 2U D8. Or an old Cat 631A cable controlled scraper. I have never gotten to run a Cat DW20 or DW21 scraper but I'm told they were something else too. I did get to run a Cat 619 cable scraper. That was interesting. Or do final trim with a 9K Cat 12 grader. Any and all of the above can be and were done on a regular basis by the operators of those eras and I takes me hat orf to 'em for it 'cos I've done most of 'em, including running the earlier models of the little toy in your photos. All the hydraulic and electronic gizmos are just fine - WHEN they are working, but there is nothing quite like the sound and feel of those earlier machines opening up the governors under load and really 'getting their shoulder into it'. I hope you get to experience it before they are all gone - if you want to. Thanks for the memories.

  5. #5surfer-joe2007-12-10 22:10

    Hear! Hear, Deas!

  6. #6Arthur2009-11-15 22:54

    Boomrider, it's a Chamberlain Champion R1259 Backsteer loader. It was built in the 1960's and the rear wheels are split rims. If you try to take them off before you deflate the tyres the chances are that the resulting explosion will kill you as the "wheel studs" hold the two rims together. There is a central wheel nut for removing the wheel assembly intact. In all cases it's advisable to deflate the tyre before doing anything else.

  7. #7JimInOz2009-11-16 01:10

    Boomrider, There's possibly more R1250s in WA than anywhere else. My mate in Perth has 2 of them & uses them in his workshop as a lifter. They were,I think,a well liked loader in their time.You see a few of them in places like chook (chicken)farms,etc,cleaning up the manure & moving stuff around. How much $$ did they want for it?

  8. #8sandy2009-11-16 05:32

    well heres another one parked in the yard as a spare torque converter model same trans as in our 580 e

  9. #9Markatpark2015-07-09 08:06

    Markatpark /I] Hi it a 1250 loader have one we have owned since new my father bought itin 1969 still have it

  10. #10repowerguy2015-07-09 19:00

    Just curious what kind of mill is under the hood, 4-53 screamtroit or Perkins perhaps?

  11. #11Markatpark2015-07-09 21:29

    Perkins

  12. #12RayF2015-07-11 00:06

    Theres still a few working. I line bored one a few years back for a mob who where Gypsum mining. The client bought OEM bearings which were bronze.

  13. #13Welder Dave2015-07-11 00:40

    It has a z bar type linkage which would indicate they would be late 60's or 70's. Same kind of idea as an MF11 loader with the drive wheels at the loader end.