I just bought a 710A wanted to know when it was produced. The serial # 710A-35-38-16014 on tag in front of cab. This New to me toy was dead when I purchased. It had a 4-53 Detroit with a new starter so I installed a battery and tried to start. I wasn't getting fuel up to the rail so I back track to the pump swapped the fuel lines and bled up to the injectors. Turned over great but won't start. Tried a few more times and getting smoke out the intake and a few attempts at starting. This was confusing THEN I thought about intake smoke ? swapped fuel lines? How about wrong starter I didn't buy the starter so what did I know. Well only one way to find out looked though my junk electrical parts found 2 pieces of starters put one together and it turned clockwise the one on the engine was turning CCW. Didn't want to turnover very fast so I took the wiring ( battery to machine) loose hooked 2 batterys in series 24V tired and grinned. Took the extra battery out hooked up the wiring and now will start run and charge (reason for taking wiring loose) on 12V. I thought I would tell a little story that might help someone else. I tried to find info to tell age of machine online even called my local dealers they said could sell parts but didn't know how to tell year built. By the way it's got Clark Trans and Converter Ex Government machine. Thanks in Advance.
Complete chart of Champion build dates.
I'd think it's more than likely to be a 4-71. They were common in the smaller/lighter Champion's. I'd guess it's an early 80's machine just before the series II that came out in 84.
Thanks gggraham ! It looks like it's a 1984 model. Welder Dave I have a 4-71 in a generator and I also put a blower off another 4-53 on the grader that I didn't mention. The blower was the reason that the machine got parked. I was thinking about putting the 4-71 on it if I couldn't find a blower at a decent price. The 4-53 Turbo is 170HP and the 4-71N is 140HP. The 4-53 has a SAE Type 1 bellhousing the 4-71 has a SAE type 3. I didn't want to go through the trouble of adapting the bellhousing to converter unless I had to. I've done that before with track loader Hercules to a Cummins. Again Thank You!
A 4-53 wouldn't be very common but your machine is just before the series II machines that came out in 1984. Champion went exclusively to Cummins engines with the series II. It's also when they added the 8400 transmission dropping all the previous tranny options.