Hi Folks, I am starting to build a cummins 6ct engine and I have some major doubts. It is my first engine tuning and so I want the opinion of people with experience. Firstly: The shirts have two grooves, in which one should I put the adjustment o ring? Should I put in addition some seal or only oil for the assembly? In the crankshaft, I can see that in cylinders 1, 2 and 3 there are some small plastic tubes that are in some holes and point towards the bottom of the piston, but in cylinders 4, 5 and 6 these small tubes are not. .. You probably had them and they fell into a past arrangement? check the crankcase and there are no remains of these. Should I put oil or a seal under the connecting rod bearings? What is the amount of torque for the connecting rod bolts? I sincerely appreciate all the help. Cesar
Replace the piston cooler tubes they should be in your gasket kit don't use oil on your liner seals use liquid soap nothing goes between the bearing shells
If If you have never rebuilt a diesel engine, you better get some books, or you might end up worse than you were before. There is a lot of stuff you need to know.
@cuttin edge , Certainly this is a job that should be done by a person who has read several books and who also has a lot of experience, however I have work waiting for this machine and those people who read several books and know how to do it are not available ... Then I have to solve the problem taking advantage of my desire to do it, my essential technical knowledge and the great help of this forum. Books were essential in the last century, now the information is on the web and I am sure that in this forum many learned to repair an engine. The main idea of this forum is that I think. Cesar
You’re asking the right questions in my opinion. Cleanliness is everything in this adventure. Varsol or brake clean and compressed air are your friends here. Torque values are important and some kind of prelube would be nice.
@Dave Neubert with your information today I am going a lot, thank you very much. Now I need to know the tightening of the piston bolts and cylinder head bolts. Tomorrow I intend to finish assembling this engine although I still have pending how to clean the turbo exhaust turbine, I have not been able to separate the exhaust snail from the turbo cartridge, (Holset H1E), I have left it soaking with Wurth Rust off for years and days, but I think maybe I should apply heat. I appreciate your advice. Cesar
there has to be lube between the bearings and the crankshaft
Thank you @56wrench , What is the maximum height of the shirts with respect to the block? Cheers Cesar
you really need the service/ overhaul manual for that engine. it will contain all the information you require and will be a good investment. i assume by shirts you mean the cylinder liners. i don't have the specifications for this particular engine but it should be approximately .001- .002 inch(.025-.05mm) on a used block with used liners. with a used block and new liners, it should be slightly more as long as they are all even on all cylinders.
It might be worth getting set up with Cummins Quickserve if it's available in Chile. I've set it up for our 4 Cummins engines here, and it gives parts and service info for no cost if I remember correctly. I think it was done through a local Cummins corporate dealer.
Is CB NS Cape Breton Nova Scotia?
It is!
My wife was born and raised in the Pier
I Pretty cool! I think you could find Cape Bretoners anywhere!
I read the post from Cesar, who loves that slow rap flow. I said get that Champion back together, let’s go make some dough! He’s turning the wrenches himself, just to save a dime. That old Six-Cee-Tee will be rolling coal in no time!
The Story of this old Six cee tee This engine ran erratically, cylinder 6 was dead and always smoked heavily when accelerating. Cummins 6CT 8.3 Observations: When disassembling, note that the liners had cavitation problems, especially that of cylinder 6. Work I put new liners, new piston rings, new metal connecting rod and bench (STD), these had very little wear but taking advantage of the instance I decided to change them. The injectors were restored at a diesel injection company and the cylinder head was also overhauled and they put new guides and seals along with grinding the valve seats. The long-awaited day. Yesterday I started the engine and it has a more even sound and all the cylinders work although, after an hour of operation I can observe two situations. 1- When accelerating quickly, black smoke is produced. 2- The idle is at 730 Rpm and I feel that there is some kind of oscillation perhaps caused because at this level of revolutions all the cylinders do not work evenly. Obviously I cleaned all the fuel lines, and I put in new filters. The only thing that did not receive service was the injection pump (Bosch) I don't know how to check if the timming is at 11 ° as the manual says. What do you think about these anomalies in this newly tuned engine? I take this opportunity to thank everyone who advised me on this my first engine adjustment and it has really been gratifying to revive this little monster. Cheers! Cesar