Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help!!! New Cat 120M motor grader won’t stay running

wildcat1 · 2021-02-17 10:35

Record cold temps here in south central Kansas, it has been to 16 below, it's about 10 above right now. We have winter bland fuel in the grader, block heater plugged in. Operator has been fighting for two day trying to get the grader to KEEP running. Grader starts right up, runs about 30-45 seconds, throws low fuel rail pressure code and shuts down. Rinse..........repeat. Finally found some 911 fuel gel additive, put that in tank, same story. Operator call dealer, they say to change filters, fill one half with 911, one half with fuel and try. Changing the filters on this machine has been a trial for the operator. At least three people have said to add one gallon of gasoline to grader tank. I don't think any fuel delivered around here before this cold wave had very much #1 in it. Of course now they have 50-50 blend. Any help on getting this grader to stay running?? Dealer said we were #35 on the list to get a service tech to come out. Also has been putting warm air on the engine and fuel tank. Thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1Mike L2021-02-17 14:40

    I don’t think I’d add gasoline to the fuel. It sounds like you’ve got gelled fuel. I would overdose the 911 and do what I could to warm it up. On another thread here it was suggested to cover with a welding blanket or canvas tarp and put a kerosene heater or weed burned underneath.

  2. #2wildcat12021-02-17 20:15

    Finally got the filters changed and got it running about 3 PM today. Didn't change the filter behind the engine. It got up to 21 here today, so I'm sure that helped. Of course it only stayed running after the Cat tech showed up. It had 911 in the filters and the tank, hopefully it got fully circulated today. Supposed to be 55 here Monday. My farm tank is gelled up as well, but I don't need to be running anything.