Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 720 series 1

R1340 ยท 2018-01-28 19:15

Hi guys, I'm an owner/operator of an aerial spraying business in sask, looking at purchasing a 720 series 1 champion grader with the Detroit engine and standard transmission. The grader would be used to maintain a mile long dirt landing strip as well as some odd jobs around the farm. I also farm so have a fair bit of experience with farm equipment but I'm wondering if you guys can fill me in on things to look at on a grader other than the obvious things you look at on any piece of equipment, what are the common wear points on these machines? What are things I should watch out for? Also, what are the upsides and down sides of these machines? Basically just looking for someone with more experience and knowledge than me to fill me in. Thanks in advance for your time I sure appreciate any feedback I can get.

Replies6
  1. #1cuttin edge2018-01-30 14:52

    For what you want, worn out tires wouldn't hurt, but make sure they are not rotted. Not sure what series Detroit it has, but most Detroits need to be worked hard, or as they say, drive it like you stole it. Champions have a unique system for rotating the blade, or circle. 2 timed pistons turn gears in order to rotate the outer gear on the circle. There is a gear driven valve that times the pistons so they go in and out. Excessive wear puts it out of time, and the circle will jam, but again you won't be fine grading, and with practice, you can put more pressure on one corner of the blade to help it move. Someone else might chime in if the right person happens t read it. I know nothing about those transmissions.

  2. #2R13402018-01-30 15:46

    Thanks for the info, I was wondering how that worked with the circle rotation and the two cylinders that do it. The tires a worn out for sure but I'll have to check them for rot when I go up and take a look at it. Like you said for levelling the runway I'm sure they'll be fine but within the next few years I plan on building another strip from scratch at another location so I'm sure new tires will be needed before that. Any idea if a guy can fit 13.00 24's in place of the 14.00 24's that are on these machines? Also wondering if any parts from a D600 are interchangeable with a 720? I have a friend converting a 600 to pull type, wondering if I should grab the hydraulic pump and front end and other components from him if I do end up purchasing the 720. Thanks again.

  3. #3cuttin edge2018-01-30 16:37

    Should be able to do the tires, but as far as part swapping goes, not sure. Even Volvo who bought out Champion still use the same type of rotation system changed just enough to prevent part swapping. It's my understanding that most aircraft of the same make have interchangeable parts, save for newer navigation instruments. The tail section off a cessna built in the 60s will fit one from the 80s.

  4. #4DB22018-01-30 22:31

    Front end markedly different from 6 to 700 series. Hydraulics as well.

  5. #5R13402018-01-30 23:12

    Thanks DB2, any idea who made the standard tranny that went into the 700's?

  6. #6DB22018-01-31 09:32

    Likely Gearco who was a subsidiary of Champion and made their transmissions and final drives. The 600 series transmission may in fact be the same as the one in the 720.