Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis Chalmers grader with electric brakes

RZucker ยท 2018-01-29 20:58

Got a call from a guy that has an A-C grader with Wagner Electric brakes. Never heard of that and not finding much info... Any of you members deal with them? I haven't looked at it yet, 125 miles away.

Replies10
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-01-29 21:24

    Hope we get some photos. That's a new one on me also. Sounds interesting.

  2. #2ol'stonebreaker2018-01-29 23:04

    If they're like elec tlr brakes how do you stop going backward down a hill? Mike

  3. #3RZucker2018-01-29 23:06

    The story gets better, the batteries are junk and the generator doesn't work, they have been drag starting it for 6 years. Hmm, 2 new batteries and alternator and I bet the electric brakes will work. Its a 1947 AD-5 grader. Apparently the electric brakes were used for only 2 years. How these people find me...

  4. #4Junkyard2018-01-29 23:08

    They called me first. I sent them to you

  5. #5RZucker2018-01-29 23:08

    That's what I would like to know. I haven't seen them and cant seem to find much info on them.

  6. #6RZucker2018-01-29 23:11

    I could see that...

  7. #7Junkyard2018-01-29 23:12

    Of course DMiller sent them to me! He's the A/C guru around these parts.

  8. #8CDNDIESELMONKEY2018-02-05 19:29

    Did letourneau scrapers use Wagner electric brakes?

  9. #9RZucker2018-02-05 20:16

    I'm not sure about the air disc brakes on the early Letourneau-Westinghouse machines, But the early 60's B70/333A machines used Wagner Electric air over hydraulic brakes... No kidding... Wagner brakes on a Westinghouse Air brake Co. machine. Go figure.

  10. #10FWD2018-02-11 20:51

    Sounds like the grader I ran some for a logger near here (Mn) years ago. He had a battery for it and it started but had no working generator. It was a 47 AC AD-4 which had a 4-71 Gen Motors Diesel. They didn't call them Detroit Diesel at that time. An AD-3 was about the same but had a 3-71 engine. The one I ran had electric brakes that worked until the battery started going dead. Didn't need brakes much for the kind of work I did with it. FWD