Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 720A

handtpipeline ยท 2009-07-28 19:24

I have the chance to purchase a Champion 720A. The serial number is 720A-187-624-19502-89. I was told that this is a 1989 model, does that sound right? I've ran this machine some over the last 10 years, and in fact hauled it in when the current owner bought it from the previous owner who purchased it new. It's still in pretty good shape, has a front scarifier (behind the front tires) and a multi-shank ripper on the rear, that doesn't appear to have ever had rippers in it. Tires are decent, most of the glass is good. One door window and one of the lower front windows are cracked. The a/c doesn't work, but I know it used to. My main concern, is the transmission. It pulls good, doesn't slip. But it's started up-shifting on it's own. The shifter is electronic, if I remember right one lever for forward and reverse, another lever to up or down shift. Actually reminds me more of a momentary toggle switch, as it doesn't have different detents for the different gears, but more of a click up/ click down type system. Something just tells me it's an electrical/electronic issue, and not a transmission issue. Anyone have any experience with, or know anything about this type issue? I'm really interested in this machine, as they want about $14,000 to re-build the motor for my 120 Cat (10R series), I really liked the 655 Komatsu we rented, but we can't justify that kind of price tag for a grader no more than we use one. I can buy this machine for $5,000.00.

Replies47
  1. #1handtpipeline2009-08-15 01:03

    Here's a few pics of the machine. I was hoping someone had an idea on the tranny problem, but I guess not. Anyway, I went ahead and bought it, hopefully the tranny won't be too hard to figure out. It has more bad glass on it than I thought, but for the price, I can't complain.

  2. #2handtpipeline2009-08-15 01:08

    It has 2 flat tires on the back (one on each side), and I also noticed the front tires have been switched around. They used to be what I would consider backwards, like most graders have the front tires. Which brings me to another question... Why are the front tires usually backward? My theory is that it's to help get a "grip" and control the sideways drift while grading. Am I anywhere near right? I've never had any formal training on a grader, pretty much just got on it and tried different techniques to learn on my own.

  3. #3Abscraperguy2009-08-15 01:28

    I ran a grader identical to the one you're looking at. I think it had about 20000 hrs and the snot was plum beaten out of it. This biggest problem it had was it wouldn't reverse when it got warm. The only way to get reverse was to slide it into reverse without slowing down too much and giving it a bit of fuel. I believe you're probably rght if you say the upshifting is an electronic issue. Those transmissions are bullet proof. The one that I ran got abused for another 2 years after I ran it and never had got any worse when they sold. Those old Champions are tough simple machines that are easy to fix if problems arise. Do you know what PS Champion used. Is it a Clark tranny?

  4. #4Abscraperguy2009-08-15 01:32

    If it's like you say it is I wouldn't hesitate a minute a 5k. Poor ones sell as parts machines for more than that up here. You don't have another one do you?

  5. #5handtpipeline2009-08-15 02:00

    I'm thinking it probably is a Clark, but not sure. We're going to go air up the tires and get it going tomorrow. It's been sitting about 8 months, and the batteries are low. Probably try to get it to my shop, and start investigating the problem. The $5,000 part is kind of a long story. The guy we're buying it from, i've known most of my life. He is now my fiancee's uncle by marriage. His uncle used to work for my dad (about 24 yrs) and has been like an uncle to me my whole life. Plus, his son is who had borrowed my 120 Cat, and blew the motor up in it... Kinda like a soap opera... This is one of those deals I always hear about someone else getting, the kind that you find out about an hour after someone else gets the buy of a lifetime...

  6. #6plowking7402009-08-15 07:43

    I Ran a 740 for years, very much like this one . I belive the the tranmission is a gearco 8400, We rebuilt the trans just after we got it, ( 5000 hrs) it developed what "shuttle shock" according to the mechanic. -not comming to a complete stop when changing direction. it also , when cold would drop a gear, down shift from 5 to 4 evey now and then. I took out the electronic shifter and blew out all the dust and cleaned all the contacts and never had that problem again. One thing about the trans, if you have a problem with one of the soliniods, you can switch it out with another one on the trans, or the blade float to get you home. I never happened to me, but I know someone who did it to get home. When I quit that company I had put another 10 000 hrs on it and approx 50 000 km and the only other problem we had was that we droped a drive chain on the rh side while plowing snow. I liked the machine, a lot of people bash Champ, but I never had any real problems with it. It got the job done, and took me home every night. what more can you ask.

  7. #7OldChampInsider2009-08-15 19:25

    Time to stop lurking! hello as I said in my title it is time to stop lurking as I have been monitoring this forum for a long time. I used to work at Champion Road Graders and at Volvo Graders after Volvo bought Champion in 1997. Volvo has now closed the Goderich facility so why not participate? The 720 you are looking at is a Series 2 machine and would have a Champion designed built 8400 transmission with 8 forward and 4 reverse gears This transmission, with a few upgrades (friction plate material and better soleniods) was used from 1984 to Dec 2005 - so parts are readily availble but it is a very basic but rugged transmission. The rest of the grader is straight forward, gear pump hydraulics and 12 volt electrics a simple blade lift system. It wasn't until just after this grader, Champion introduced the Series 3 and updated to 24 volt electical system. If this is infact an articulated grader, check the articulation cylinders and valve as most Champions of that vintage were rigid frames and there were a few issues with the articulation drifting but the pivot bearings were fine. Best of luck

  8. #8RocksnRoses2009-08-16 09:39

    Handtpipeline, if that old grader is mechanically sound, for that money, you will have a good solid grader. We have a 720A and and we do everything from trimming pads to ripping trenches through limestone rock, grading rocks out for rolling and normal road grading. They are fairly heavy and put the power to the ground and while they were never that popular in the construction industry here, ours does all we want it to do, although it is starting to show it's age. Welcome to the Forum, OldChampInsider, I can assure you that some of your machines are still out there earning a crust. You may be able to help me work out what transmission ours has, it has a 471GM, torque convertor and a 6 speed transmission. According to my book, it is either a Gearco or a Clark. You mentioned that the shift on handtpipline's grader had solenoids, but our's is just direct cables back to the transmission. In the last week I have also been operating a 720 rigid frame grader which belongs to a customer of ours. It also has the 471GM with a torque convertor and 6 speed transmission. Here are some pics of the two machines, the first three of our grader and the other two are of the rigid frame grader. Rn'R.

  9. #9willie592009-08-16 09:45

    Man, you weren't lyin' R n R...that's a lot of rock. I think it would have to be a tough grader to wade through all those bowling balls.

  10. #10RocksnRoses2009-08-16 09:53

    They are tough old girls ATCO, but the torque convertors really help on that sort of work. Rn'R.

  11. #11willie592009-08-16 10:16

    Yeah man...and a good oil designed oil cooler system for the convertor. I imagine that would be interesting grading if it were direct drive.

  12. #12OldChampInsider2009-08-16 22:41

    I don't recall exactly that far back but i would think it is a Clark as you said it was a 6 speed - Champion used them a lot. For your information, Gearco was the transmisson group of Champion Road Machinery - they used that name as they made gear boxes for the Ag industry too. Glad to hear it does what you need - cheers

  13. #13handtpipeline2009-08-19 01:06

    Got it going saturday (hooked jumper cables up, and it turned over all of maybe 1 time before starting), aired the tires up, and drove it about 10 miles to the job. No problems whatsoever. Ran it for about 4 hours on monday. Everything works just like the last time I ran it (about 3 yrs ago probably). Only thing I could find that doesn't work are the lights, and air conditioner. I think I can probably fix that myself reasonably. Need to replace both of the windows in the right door, and the windshield. Then tint the windows. I was somewhat surprised to learn it's a 12 volt electrical system (instead of 24), so it'll be easy to install a stereo in. The transmission never tried to jump a gear, but I noticed the LED readout telling you what gear you are in doesn't work anymore. So could it maybe be a problem in the shifter itself?

  14. #14RocksnRoses2009-08-19 06:45

    It looks quite tidy now that we can see it in the open, handtpipeline, it's quite flash with LED readout on the gear shift, we don't have that, it will do a lot of work for you. What engine does that grader have? Rn'R.

  15. #15Zoran2009-08-23 02:39

    Is someone of you know who supply spare parts for Champion? Is someone of you have brochure of Champion 720A Series IV? Who has baught the Champion company and when?

  16. #16RocksnRoses2009-08-23 06:59

    G'day Zoran, welcome to the Forum. Volvo bought Champion around 1997. For parts, I suggest you try your nearest Volvo dealer. We needed a pump drive for our Champion last year and it came from Volvo in Sweden. I am not sure where you would find a brochure, but someone here may be able to help. Rn'R.

  17. #17OldChampInsider2009-08-29 22:54

    Sorry haven't been on in a while. Glad to hear she work well for you. the LCD read out wasn't great back then it was lit by several LEDs and they would burn out frequently. Dust would also build up between the LCD screen and the cover but this can be clean up and a bead of silicon would fix it. if you lift the cover off the trans shifter, look at the two plastic cable rings securing the cables onto the shifter- they had a habit of breaking but were easily fixed. The AC lines are most likely the issue as the freon escapes/ permeates through the rubber over time, As mentioned earlier, Champion changed to 24 volt a few years after this grader was manufactured and that was met with great resitance from the dealers at the time! oh wellthe price of progress!:beatsme

  18. #18OldChampInsider2009-08-29 22:59

    Volvo did buy Champion back in 1997 so Volvo CDE dealers should be able to help. Not sure were you are based but also check Redhead Equipment in Canada as they are / were a major dealer for Champion way back (and now for Volvo too) and are first class all the way - they should be able to help.

  19. #19King of Obsolete2009-08-29 23:18

    jade equipment in edmonton alberta has been getting the parts for buddy barry's 1983 740 right on the money everytime. we are very impressed and the parts come wrapped in volvo packaging. (also if you look at the map, we are getting parts 3000 kms away because these guys are good compared to the local supplier. also it was this BB that lead us to jade in edmonton. so thansk steve for having a great site) thansk KoO Published Author

  20. #20buddfalen2009-09-27 22:46

    Hello I have never used a forum before so I may be doig this all wrong. I just aquired a 1982 710A. I would like to find a manul and I would be very thankful to be able ask questions of someone who is familiar with this machine. Can I do that here?

  21. #21willie592009-09-27 23:21

    Welcome to the forum buddfalen. :usa After you make 3 posts at any thread (except TGIF) you will become a Junior Member and be able to start a new thread about your question. Go to the Welcome thread and introduce yourself, that will be another post closer to becoming a Junior Member. Here's a link for ya'.

  22. #22Grader4me2009-09-28 13:06

    Welcome to HEF buddfalen! Do you have any pictures of your grader? What questions do you have? I have some experience with the older Champions.

  23. #23Motor Grader2009-09-28 14:52

    I know Champion started building their own transmissions in 1984 with the introduction of the 8400 Series transmission. I don't know if they offered different trannys during this time or not. Now that the BIG Champion graders are now Volvo they are using Volvo trannys. If this is a 8400 model transmission then I don't know how available parts are going to be today and more importantly in the future.

  24. #24buddfalen2009-09-29 10:06

    Thanks I have followed your advice. This is new but I am learning.

  25. #25buddfalen2009-09-29 11:40

    I tried to respond once but I am not sure it went. I am sorry if this shows up twice. I do have a few pictures. I will have to learn how to get them into the computer and how to send them. Initially, I would like to find a owners/maintenance manual. Once I become more familiar with the machine, I should be able to ask better questions. Do you know where I can find the manual?

  26. #26Grader4me2009-09-29 13:25

    No, I'm sorry but I don't. Maybe some of the other guys can help you out.

  27. #27kith2009-10-05 21:36

    Need to keep the shifter area clear of metal chips from drilling or grinding,it can make shifter do weird things!

  28. #28decee2009-10-06 08:44

    I bought an older 740. I got my manuals from FleaBay

  29. #29mtrgrdr2009-10-07 16:35

    Looks like you made a great deal on this 1989 Series II Champion grader. The Series III was introduced in later in that year and your machine likey has many of the Series III changes except for sheet metal. It will have a Gearco (Champion) 8400 transmission which is full powershift direct drive, shifted with electric / hydraulic solenoids.There were over 25,000 of these transmissions built in Goderich, Ontario from 1984 until introduction of the Volvo-built transmissions in 2006. Despite some early issues in the first few years, the 8400 is fairly bullet proof and easily rebuilt. If you have erradic shifting check the easy things first including all electric connections and ground straps. The machine relies on good battery power and good continuity in all connections. Things improved significantly when the 24v system was introduced but 12v is OK if connections are good. This machine will have an engine clutch which was built by Rockford and is very reliable if the freeplay at the clutch throw out lever is adjusted periodically. If you loose freeplay it won't be long before you'll be purchasing a new clutch assembly. Because the clutch is disengaged with hydraulic master cylinder you can have good freeplay at the pedal but be "riding" the clutch at the slave cylinder end. Make sure to keep good, clean oil in the hydraulic system and transmission. Try to avoid deadheading cylinders, putting the hydraulic system over relief regularly and max'ing out the pump and you'll have great luck with this grader for many years.

  30. #30kith2009-10-07 21:25

    What have you used on the circles for lube?

  31. #31mtrgrdr2009-10-07 22:48

    Early Champion 700 Series I, II and III graders use cast iron circle support guides and clamp plates. While the cast iron components are supposed to be softer than the steel circle, these machines absolutely require some type of circle lubrication with most operators using spray-on graphite or a good quality HP grease. These systems should NOT be run without some form of circle lubrication but opinions very on which is best. Later Series III and all further 700 Series Champions and Volvos use the company's trademark "Duramide" circle support system. There is no metal to metal contact in these systems and no external lubrication is required. Running these systems dry can actually improve circle turn power since grease attracts dirt and in extreme case can actually increase friction while under down pressure as opposed to running the circle dry. All earlier 700 Series graders can be retrofitted with the Duramide clamps and guides. Each system is shim adjustable and should be maintained with about 1/16 - 1/8" verticle and horizontal clearance provided that all componennts are in good condition. If you have an earlier (cast iron) machine with circle wear, you may have to play with the adjustment a bit, increase the clearance and do the best you can.

  32. #32chansey2015-01-07 21:57

    Hi All, Can anyone discern the year of manufacture for Champion 720A SN: 720-54-117-0530-2, M00222745. Not real firm on this since someone else took down the numbers. It has a 6 cy Allis-Chalmers engine that is in pieces with all new parts including new crank, etc. Only known missing items at this time are the injectors. Overall condition is good with 2570 Hrs, 80% tires and new cutting edge. Would like some idea of value. Need to have it hauled about 200 miles to get it home. Thanks

  33. #33Silveroddo2015-01-12 20:30

    The serial number breaks down to this It came with the Allis motor Its got a clark power shift trans There were 117 made just like it There were 530 machines in that serial number system when it was produced It was made in South Carolina I would guess its an early 80's machine, I would also assume at this point that that 2570 hours is on the repower, not the actual hours. Unless there are records to indicate otherwise I'd just assume it had 10000 hours on it prior to the repower, because unless you have documentation no one really knows. A good running machine in decent shape should bring 15k +/- . In my opinion the 670T Allis is a detraction in its value, Size and condition of the rubber will also affect its value by a few thousand bucks. Given what it sounds like I probably wouldn't pay more than 5k for it unless your have a plan or an inside track on something, * just reread your post, with 80% rubber (Bias or radials?) you have some money in tires there so it maybe worth a little more

  34. #34chansey2015-01-12 22:45

    Silveroddo, Thanks for the info. Called the local Volvo dealer to try and get some info based on the SN but they couldn't help me. The Service Manager said he'd call me if he found any thing. He called back 2 hrs later. He said that in 2008 the machine had been in for service and had the same ser# on the work order but could not determine the age of the grader. He also stated that the hrs on the machine in 2008 was 2137. The agency that has the grader bought it new and is in a very remote area. I believe that the hr meter has original hours. The machine looks to be in great condition, no rust or noticeable wear. The only repair work that I can see is the tilt brackets are new. According to the shop mechanic, operator left the machine running on a steep incline and it just did not get enough oil. Looks like the machine can be had in the $1,000 range because it is remote. I have a 6BTT in my garage that would be a good candidate for a repower. Although all of the new parts are with the the machine, a Allis-Chalmers diesel just doesn't appeal to many people. Because of condition and proximity to my home, I can afford to put some extra money into the machine for a new Cummins diesel. I got the engine as "boot" in a trade so I really don't have anything in the engine. Swapping in a 4BT in a Trojan 1500Z to replace a 5 cylinder Deutz. Again, the detraction factor. I know it is a bargain given what junkers go for at auction. I plan to keep the grader around for a few years. I also have a lot of work for one. Just for my own FYI, how/where did you find the info on this machine whereas the dealer had no clue? Thanks .... Paul USMC Vietnam Vet 1964-65

  35. #35Silveroddo2015-01-12 23:25

    I've had that same experience with any Volvo parts guy I've talk to, pretty much worthless when it comes to Champion. Jade Equipment out of Canada is really on the ball and there was a place in SD I believe that was still selling parts but I can't seem to locate them now. http://www.varvayanis.com/sp/Equipm...s_I_Operators_Manual_Revision_1_8-24-1977.pdf Somewhere around page 10 of that is the Champion serial # break down, its located in all of their service and operator manuals. http://www.varvayanis.com/sp/Equipment/Champion_730A.htm these guys have a few of the manuals online in digital format. I'd say for $1000 you couldn't go wrong, (Apparently they don't know its value as scrap, lol) and swapping in an 8.3 would be the ideal scenario. If you get into that project I'd be curious to know what it takes, or find out what you have for 670T parts left over as I'm working on resurrecting one at the moment (And wishing it had been repowered with an 8.3 instead of the Allis, lol)

  36. #36Silveroddo2015-01-12 23:37

    Actually looking at your S/N again I missed something. It looks like that machine is a straight 720, not an articulated model. I have an identical machine (720-54-109-0417-2) . This changes the value quite a bit because its pretty likely this is a series 1 machine and not a series 2 which makes it roughly 1979-1982. Value on these is quite a bit less but they are still a good machine and for the money I still don't think you could go wrong.

  37. #37chansey2015-01-13 06:39

    The machine is definitely articulated Am I understanding that Allis-Chalmers engines were not OEM to the grader? According to the agency mechanic, it was received with the A/C in it. I'm set on getting the unit because I have not been able to find anything with in the state that even comes close to this. I too feel it a good choice for many reasons. The 4BT of my Trojan Loader is similar to this. Had all 4 new tires, excellent overall condition, 5 miles from the house and only $3,000. 4BT came with Sae#2 housing and flywheel. Torque converter on the loader was SAE #2. Made an adapter to go from SAE #2 to #3 and now making a filler plate to take care of the gap between the flywheel and flex plates. Actually pretty straight forward. Grader should about the same. Adapter to go from SAE 2 to SAE #3 This plate will go behind the flex plate so that the plates can be connected to the flywheel--That's basically it, The only other fab item is the motor mounts. Fits nicely and I go from 98 HP Deutz to 4BT 138 HP.

  38. #38chansey2015-01-13 07:32

    720A Instruction Manual Silveraddo, Really want to thank you for the links you provided--gona save a lot of trial and error time figuring out what the functions are. From what I've read, the A/C engine was an option. Now I understand why so many have the 4-71's, it was the standard power source. I'll know where I stand on buying it in the next few days. Paul

  39. #39DSS2015-01-15 14:08

    Hi guys. Can anyone tell me where the best place would be to either buy a rebuilt transmission controller, or to send mine to be rebuilt? It's a 1987 740. We tried swapping the controller with a known good one and all the problems went away, so we're sure that's it. Thanks

  40. #40Silveroddo2015-01-27 18:33

    Chansey, no problem, if you buy it start a new thread and let me know how it works out. I've got 2 of them that started out life w/ 670T's. Both have been repowered but one maintained that motor, the other was converted to an 8.3 cummins, which is the better option in my opinion. Champion used several different engine options but it seems by the late 80's they were using mostly Cummins. DSS, I'd give Jade equipment a call, they are located in Canada and seem to have a pretty extensive inventory, you should be able to find them in a google search.

  41. #41marinesfer22015-02-19 10:39

    Hi I'm New at this forum Just have a question....Do you know where I can find the Transmission Hydraulic Pump for a Champion 740 Motograder Part No. is 74383...please help...My e-mail is [email protected]

  42. #42cuttin edge2015-02-19 18:12

    If you do a search for that number, it lists one in Turkey. Check with your closest Volvo dealer. No idea where to get used Champion parts in Texas. http://www.jadeequipment.com/grader-parts.htm . Kinda far from you, but I hear they have a lot of Champion parts.

  43. #43chansey2015-02-19 19:48

    marines fer2 I was at the Volvo dealer today and inquired about you pump. Price was $2,200 plus freight. In the past I have been able to source and replace a "high $$$" pump with a US made model. Are you able to determine the following; Max PSI Max Flow number of splines OD of splines Center to center dim on the mounting If you can provide this info, I can find you a reasonably priced pump Paul USMC Vet Vietnam 1965 WIA May 11, 1965 Semper Fi '

  44. #44oldguy282016-08-15 09:38

    720A Battery Diagram. I have a 89 Champion 720A. About 6 months ago It blew a hydraulic hose. During that time I robbed the batterys off of it. I have found out that it has a 12/24 Volt system. I need a battery diagram as to how to hook it back. I thought I could remember and didn't take a picture when I removed the batterys. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

  45. #45Fatgraderman2016-08-15 22:17

    It's not just a straight 12 volt system? I didn't know any of these were series-parallel. They did switch over to 24v on series 3 1/2 (somewhere's around serial #24400). I don't have a model for a machine of that vintage.

  46. #46oldguy282016-08-17 19:55

    Thanks Graderman..

  47. #47Fatgraderman2016-08-20 17:16

    Meant to say *manual*, not "model". Anyways, that's not to say some weren't series parallel, just that that was the first I heard of it. The oldest one that I ran/ worked on was a 90.