Looking to get a rgn trailer and concerned about the driveway at my yard. Anyone changed the air switch on an 8 bag suspension to raise the truck 3"-4" just to get over potential hang-ups? Not sure how you could replumb the dump valve, but a 3 way would be nice (dump, ride height, increased clearance).
I do it manually by jacking the leveling valves, but have never heard of being able to do it with a switch. The design of the leveling valves I have seen would not seem to be able to work that way.
Thinking the easiest way would be a 12v linear actuator in place of the rod that goes from axle to air valve, basically tricking the air suspension into thinking it was too low and adding air. Surprised no one has done this. I know you can ruin the bags if you transport with them too high, but would be nice to flip a switch and get extra 4-5" ground clearance for driveway approaches, etc.
Now that idea may have some merit. You mentioned an 8 bag system, so you would need 2 matched actuators. You would probably want them on a safety toggle to make it so they could not be raised accidentally. If you do this, please post some results of how it works.
Seems pretty easy, you can get linear actuators for $100 that are 1" diameter in any stroke you need. I've held off getting a rgn because I couldn't figure how to get into my storage yard. Was thinking hydraulic detach so I could lift going in... I'm going to check out how much higher the air bags can go so I know the stroke.
I built links for my Rogers 50 ton that just have an extra hole, (a longer link), where I can pull a pin and stick it back in the top hole. My air bags were capable of 8" extra lift, so I set this pin hole to give me an extra 7".
Good info mitch504. I'm thinking along the same lines, just want to do it from the cab.
You want an over air setup. for short bursts you could just use and electro pneumatic valve and apply strait un regulated tank air to the air suspension. The leveling valve will try to bleed the air but it will do it much slower than you can add air. Once you kill the over air the leveling valve will bleed back to normal.
No issues running 120 psi in the air bags?
your not doing it for long just 60 seconds max. I have had loads that put over 100PSI in them and no problems.
A battery rf remote control (like a gate or garage door opener) can operate a switch, if that helps. Switch controls 12v electrically operated valve to add air to bags. Air valve could be three port: install said vlv to interrupt leveling valve outlet to bags and also add a tap (at inlet to leveling valve or where desired) to obtain air ....due to the particular three port style selected (say A connect to B with C closed, or A connect to C with B closed) the closed port will effectively negate leveling valve influence and also 'dead end' it into the closed section of the three port, thus the leveling valve will dump only the air from it's regulated outlet to the new three way, a negligible and finite air loss. When valve is in normal ops position, high pressure 'raising' air is precluded from accessing the bags, only the leveling valve. Three port valve 'fail' position is the std operation setting (eg leveling valve is able to control bags), also if possible, maybe procure a valve model that has a manual override in case rf remote control not avail or has a dead battery, different truck, forgot remote, troubleshooting etc. A manual electric weatherproof toggle switch wired in parallel would be a suggestion as well. This could be located as close to the driver or to the valve as one dictated. A bright LED wired in parallel with the switch(es) looking at the driver's mirror will remind the driver the valve is electrically being operated so there is a reminder not to drive about and allow a minimal possibility of bag / suspension damage. If someone determines the bags could be damaged by say going over x pressure, then the three port valve could be sent to a pressure regulator to limit the ultimate pressure seen by the bags, said regulator installed at the outlet of the three port. If you needed to move the bags rapidly, then a tank with a pneumatic relay will get this volume of air transferred accurately yet rapidly. *************** We had to do similar invention to a race car trailer to drop trailer to knees to unload 'in the weeds' dragsters. But the trlr wheels touched the frame in this condition so we fixed it so the spring brakes were dumped to preclude driving while rims touched frame. We actually didn't think of the need to do this interlock, the previous owner showed this was possible as evidenced by rub marks on wheels and frame wear grooves (had a single wheel not a dual on each axle end). It raised the trailer steadily but slowly and it wasnt heavily loaded thats why I mentioned the relay and tank. *** For me, I would put a manual three way valve to do all the above and if necessary also add the air tank for the volume (quick response) if I needed it, but I would have to exit the truck to operate it.